Are People noticing higher Data Usage with the Note 4?

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that all my apps were auto updating when I got the Note 4. That could have something to do with it?

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am on WiFi at home,work, and church. My wife, daughters and myself barely use 4GB a month. We have 13GB to share.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
How can I disable the flipboard? If I go into app mgr. I can clear the cache but the Uninstall is grayed out?

Posted via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a waste of money for that much then.

I know you jest to some extent, but I was looking at some of these family plans and getting ticked off because I don't need one. :) They are so cheap that the 1 user plan becomes a virtual rip-off by comparison. It's a big bargain. To some extent, it is almost like some of it is just a freebie. Customer loyalty throw-ins.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To the people that average more than 10 Gb if data a week... Do you all not have wifi at work and home?
Yes I have wifi at work but my work tracks wifi usage. Personally I don't want my employer to know what sites I am visiting. At home, I have a Verizon wireless 4GLTE broadband router with voice, so using wifi or 4GLTE still uses "mobile" data. I had twc 15/1 before but they are very slow at peak times (sometimes sub 1mbps down) .The Verizon 4GLTE broadband router is faster especially during peak. No problems with streaming in fHD. On twc, a single hd (not fHD) stream would stutter badly sometimes.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415203375840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415203375840.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 60

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
How can I disable the flipboard? If I go into app mgr. I can clear the cache but the Uninstall is grayed out?

Posted via the Android Central App
I believe you hold down on the home screen like you're adding a widget. Then click settings. You should find something about flip board I believe.

I installed Nova and uninstalled touch wiz so if this isn't the way my bad. I think I remembered correctly though. Lol

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I disabled it too...before going to Nova. If this isn't everything needed there are 68 results in SearchForum> disable flipboard. :)

I believe you hold down on the home screen like you're adding a widget. Then click settings. You should find something about flip board I believe.

I installed Nova and uninstalled touch wiz so if this isn't the way my bad. I think I remembered correctly though. Lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So I'm gathering from the 18GB dedicated to just one app that part of your job responsibilities is to watch TV on the Xfinity TV Go app? :p

Nope. Not all of it is at work -- But some is -- I am just quick at my job and can get things done quickly. Just depends on what breaks .. days where everything is humming and no complaints .. it gets quiet :).

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I, too, noticed my data usage has gone up & I've mostly gone to Google Play to download apps & ringtones. I'm on Sprint & have never gone over 2 gigs, according to the rep when I got the Note4, so she lowered the data usage to 2 gigs to lower my monthly bill; said I was overpaying unnecessarily. For the 4 yrs. I've been w/Sprint I had always been on the Unlimited Plan.

So after reading these posts, my question is: Am I supposed to always connect to wi-fi when at home and usual places I go to where it is available? I have always unchecked it when it turned on by itself. I always thought I should be using Mobile Data.

In Data Usage I have Mobile Data checked and Limit Mobile Data Usage unchecked. Please advise me on the correct way I should be connecting so as not to go over my data usage and end up paying for the overage.

Thanks in advance!

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I, too, noticed my data usage has gone up & I've mostly gone to Google Play to download apps & ringtones. I'm on Sprint & have never gone over 2 gigs, according to the rep when I got the Note4, so she lowered the data usage to 2 gigs to lower my monthly bill; said I was overpaying unnecessarily. For the 4 yrs. I've been w/Sprint I had always been on the Unlimited Plan.

So after reading these posts, my question is: Am I supposed to always connect to wi-fi when at home and usual places I go to where it is available? I have always unchecked it when it turned on by itself. I always thought I should be using Mobile Data.

In Data Usage I have Mobile Data checked and Limit Mobile Data Usage unchecked. Please advise me on the correct way I should be connecting so as not to go over my data usage and end up paying for the overage.

Thanks in advance!

I do like this: I have mobile data always ON and WiFi also always ON . I then connect manually once and configure those WiFi networks I want to use and connect to. The phone will then remember these details and autoconnect to those WiFi networks as soon as you have availability, eg at home, at work, at your favorite hotshot etc. This makes the Internet/net usage totally seamless and automatic. When I'm in a place where the phone feels one of my WiFi networks I set up, the phone will autoconnect to it and use WiFi for all network activities. Saving heeps of mobile data usage. When I'm not near any of my WiFi networks, the phone will instead automatically use the mobile data plan for all network activities. Always connected, but in two different ways. Brilliant in my book.

People always say "having WiFi on all the time will drain battety". BS IMHO! I have been using all my smartphones like this for the last 6-7 years, no problem. I'm a heavy user and get 4-6hours SOT on my current device (S4 Mini) and one solide day of use (approx 15 hours between charging). Charge it during sleep and you are then good to go again!

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Think of data like electricity. Using mobile data you pay the electric bill. In WiFi you don't. Then do what you like. Sometimes Verizon is way faster than WiFi but sometimes it doesn't matter to me. If you remember the rule you can choose as needed. 2gb is usually plenty for me but downloading all my apps into the new Note before I remembered to turn on WiFi wrecked me until Saturday...

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies & advice. I don't know why, but for some reason I always thought it was the other way around, that wi-fi would incur charges for using it. I think I'll click on Limit Mobile Data & see how that goes.