Are People noticing higher Data Usage with the Note 4?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I saw a small brief spike the first week with the phone. But once it was set up to my liking (including going through every setting in the phone and disabling things I don't use and installing and configuring favorite apps) and settling into a normal usage pattern it's been exactly as my previous phones. :)

I'm now at the end of my first normal month's data cycle, and I'm around 800 megs or so. That's pretty much back to normal. Issue over. :)

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
We I just got my Note 4 on Nov. 29th, and my bill cycle starts on the 16th and "My Verizon" as of today 12-15-14, on my phone shows me at 5.77 GB.....I have Never gone above 3-3.50 Ever! I have kept wifi off just to test it.

I am on a grandfathered Unlimited line, but I am still very conscious of how much data I use......just as others here, I am wondering why it has gone up so much?? I did check on restrict background in apps I use, but when I looked at them it was minimal on all of them 0.01

Last edited:

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes mine has doubled since getting it Oct 16th. Normally use around 7gb a month now using 15-16gb. Thank God I'm still on unlimited data on AT&T.

rdroyer

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed much yet, I've only had it a week though. 640mb in that time, I was traveling so I can maybe chalk it up to that but I'll pay attention to it over the next couple of weeks.

Allison Peters

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I am new to AT&T and YES, our bills are outrageous! Nothing out of the ordinary we do. We manually shut off the data usage but when we forget, watch out, voom eats the data. Its almost that the apps only update when the phones data is on. Has anyone else noticed that?? You can see from your bill when it updates. Should be illegal! Curious what others are experiencing as well.

Izzy681

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I think I've gotten around the problem by restricting background data on Google + and some others and disabling a few things, like Verizon Cloud. But I was shocked and unpleasantly surprised at how much my usage went up when I got my new phone. It was almost surreal. I use a lot of services without much thought, and have never gone above 2GB. In fact, when I purchased the phone, given my usage was >1GB on average, the salesperson got me to downgrade my data plan to 2 GB from 4GB and save some money.

It seems like a lot of programs have decided to just default to using mobile data when not on Wi-Fi when it used to be the opposite. In addition, I don't recall setting up this "Cloud" thing, which basically duplicates what Google Drive does for me, so I don't need it anyway. I guess this gets Verizon a little boost in margins in most people's first month or two on a new contract, but I think it's a bit of a shady practice.

Just another "Shame on you" to these companies for doing the little things that suck more dollars out of our pockets than they would otherwise be entitled to receive based on our agreements.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I hope that my second month isn't as bad as the first. BTW, since getting my note 4, this is the first time that I've reached my data limit.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting cuz for me before the Lollipop update, I didn't have much data usage with my phone. And I am on verizon!

After the L update...oh it's a different story!! so i guess I have finally caught up with the problems u guys were already experiencing! lol

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Verizon Note 4 and have used more in one Week, than I ever had in a Whole Month with my Note 3, N2, or any other Smart Phone I've ever used. I know some of it was my fault, trying things the first month with the phone, but really never expected to be this close to my Data Cap limit in one Week.

I used GPS two times to test it, 15 minutes each time. I used one day for downloading the TTY app for Google Maps, to try and change the Maps Voice and deleted a couple of apps, while on Mobile data. I usually don't do that when out, usually on WiFi at home. Also the first week I did about 8 or 9 Speedtests, which I know added to it. I was at 500mb after 4 days. It was ridiculous. Now after a little over 7 days at 824 mb and I have 1 gb data plan on Verizon. I was going to update it to 2gb plan, but because of my billing cycle date, I have to pay two full months since I transferred from AT&T, to Verizon. So just not going to use the Data until the new Billing cycle and upgrade to 2gb if I come close next month.

I'm a little pissed, because my Use with my Note 3 was at the most 760mb and that was the most I've ever used In 1 month. This is in a week. I looked up online and People with the S5 were having increased data overages, A lot of them with Verizon. Said to turn off all the Verizon Apps, which I did, except my Verizon app and widget. I've really not done anything that I haven't done with previous phones.

Verizon says the Phone has more advanced features that use more data, like more accurate GPS and newer phones use more data. Samsung says it's the Carrier. I know some of it was me, so I'm going to see what happens next month. I use to average under 250mb a month on Verizon before, same with AT&T.

Are other people noticing increased Data usage with their Note 4, even when not really changing your amount of Data usage?

Couple things to check...

Turn Off download booster
Turn Off Smart Switch (having trouble finding where, but pretty sure you can)
Turn Off Advanced Calling

Posted via the Android Central App

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine increased a lot due to Spotify, did a reset and forgot to download the albums again... 1gb just for spotify this week lol.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think I've gotten around the problem by restricting background data on Google + and some others and disabling a few things, like Verizon Cloud. But I was shocked and unpleasantly surprised at how much my usage went up when I got my new phone. It was almost surreal. I use a lot of services without much thought, and have never gone above 2GB. In fact, when I purchased the phone, given my usage was >1GB on average, the salesperson got me to downgrade my data plan to 2 GB from 4GB and save some money.

It seems like a lot of programs have decided to just default to using mobile data when not on Wi-Fi when it used to be the opposite. In addition, I don't recall setting up this "Cloud" thing, which basically duplicates what Google Drive does for me, so I don't need it anyway. I guess this gets Verizon a little boost in margins in most people's first month or two on a new contract, but I think it's a bit of a shady practice.

Just another "Shame on you" to these companies for doing the little things that suck more dollars out of our pockets than they would otherwise be entitled to receive based on our agreements.

I left Verizon, because not only screwing me the first month with my Data, but a customer service Rep on the phone told me I could get a $15 discount, even if I paid off my Phone which was on the Edge Plan. I was looking if there was any way to get more Data, but not have my bill increase too much. I was offered the Loyalty price of 2gb for $60, but no tethering which I need. I checked the website nothing about a discount, I asked the girl 3 times are you sure this is a promotion they are doing. She said yes, it's new, if I paid off my device I would get the discount, because I was bringing my own device. She told me it was a new promotion starting. So I paid it off and then Bam!, I went from $70 a month, to $ 90 a month. The b**** lied to me, they wouldn't do anything about it, I complained a lot to higher ups, with no results. I paid that bill and they gave me a $15 discount to make up for it. Then talk to another ***** who puts me on A Contract Plan. I didn't know this. I called the following month and said, Why the heck would I go on a contract if I paid off my phone? The whole reason I buy my phones or did the edge, was so I can pay off and not be on a contract. I left them, got charged a ETF, complained again, and they gave me a $40 credit on last bill (Big Deal!), which was way more than I wanted to pay.

I paid the last Bill and told them I'd never do business with them, and I made sure all my friends or anyone i knew, knows they suck!! None of this would have happened if their first employee didn't lie to me. I would have been Paying $70 a month and I was happy, just wanted to know if more Data was available without a huge jump in price. Just seeing what deals they offered. She's still working there probably and I'm the one who had to pay for "HER" Mistake. Whatever happened to making the customer happy. I don't deal with companies like them and never will do business with them again. Just, because they are the best coverage, doesn't mean there aren't other options out there. The only way to show these big companies is to leave them. Complaining does nothing.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I am new to AT&T and YES, our bills are outrageous! Nothing out of the ordinary we do. We manually shut off the data usage but when we forget, watch out, voom eats the data. Its almost that the apps only update when the phones data is on. Has anyone else noticed that?? You can see from your bill when it updates. Should be illegal! Curious what others are experiencing as well.

Isn't there a setting to update only on WiFi? Another option would be to only update manually, but that could be a bit cumbersome. (At least my Android tablet has those options---but that's running on JB).

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I left Verizon, because not only screwing me the first month with my Data, but a customer service Rep on the phone told me I could get a $15 discount, even if I paid off my Phone which was on the Edge Plan. I was looking if there was any way to get more Data, but not have my bill increase too much. I was offered the Loyalty price of 2gb for $60, but no tethering which I need. I checked the website nothing about a discount, I asked the girl 3 times are you sure this is a promotion they are doing. She said yes, it's new, if I paid off my device I would get the discount, because I was bringing my own device. She told me it was a new promotion starting. So I paid it off and then Bam!, I went from $70 a month, to $ 90 a month. The b**** lied to me, they wouldn't do anything about it, I complained a lot to higher ups, with no results. I paid that bill and they gave me a $15 discount to make up for it. Then talk to another ***** who puts me on A Contract Plan. I didn't know this. I called the following month and said, Why the heck would I go on a contract if I paid off my phone? The whole reason I buy my phones or did the edge, was so I can pay off and not be on a contract. I left them, got charged a ETF, complained again, and they gave me a $40 credit on last bill (Big Deal!), which was way more than I wanted to pay.

I paid the last Bill and told them I'd never do business with them, and I made sure all my friends or anyone i knew, knows they suck!! None of this would have happened if their first employee didn't lie to me. I would have been Paying $70 a month and I was happy, just wanted to know if more Data was available without a huge jump in price. Just seeing what deals they offered. She's still working there probably and I'm the one who had to pay for "HER" Mistake. Whatever happened to making the customer happy. I don't deal with companies like them and never will do business with them again. Just, because they are the best coverage, doesn't mean there aren't other options out there. The only way to show these big companies is to leave them. Complaining does nothing.

That is sad, but odd, too. There IS a $15/month discount for getting on Edge. I AM getting the $15/month discount and have been for the last 15 months since I went on Edge, I DO get the 2Gb/month (1Gb paid, 1Gb free/promotional for joining Edge) and to start this out I only paid an extra $200 or $250 up front to keep my bill down. I didn't even pay off the phone, which isn't even required.

The fact that you couldn't get it straightened out is shameful on their part. I only go to the trouble of telling you this so you know that you were dealing with incompetence and/or mistakes, not lies. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but it would to me. Either way, Verizon lost you as a customer... Shame on them.

Verizon is expensive overall, but I'm glad to say I've only had one bad experience with them about 6 years ago. (I eventually got my way, but I had to fight for it.)

I had many previous bad experiences with AT&T, and left them for Verizon. As expensive as they are, they earn their money with me every month. I'm in a pretty remote area, and I have 4glte coverage. Nothing else comes close, so I hope it stays that way, because I truly don't have any other options.

The is one thing I do that you may or may not be able to do, regardless of who you stay with... I use a local cell phone store, they only handle Verizon, but they are not a retail Verizon store. They seem to be able to set things up right to begin with, and I've never had a problem going through them.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
That is sad, but odd, too. There IS a $15/month discount for getting on Edge. I AM getting the $15/month discount and have been for the last 15 months since I went on Edge, I DO get the 2Gb/month (1Gb paid, 1Gb free/promotional for joining Edge) and to start this out I only paid an extra $200 or $250 up front to keep my bill down. I didn't even pay off the phone, which isn't even required.

The fact that you couldn't get it straightened out is shameful on their part. I only go to the trouble of telling you this so you know that you were dealing with incompetence and/or mistakes, not lies. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but it would to me. Either way, Verizon lost you as a customer... Shame on them.

Verizon is expensive overall, but I'm glad to say I've only had one bad experience with them about 6 years ago. (I eventually got my way, but I had to fight for it.)

I had many previous bad experiences with AT&T, and left them for Verizon. As expensive as they are, they earn their money with me every month. I'm in a pretty remote area, and I have 4glte coverage. Nothing else comes close, so I hope it stays that way, because I truly don't have any other options.

The is one thing I do that you may or may not be able to do, regardless of who you stay with... I use a local cell phone store, they only handle Verizon, but they are not a retail Verizon store. They seem to be able to set things up right to begin with, and I've never had a problem going through them.

I WAS, getting the $15 discount on the Edge program, paying $70 a month taxes included for the 1gb Individual plan and mobile hotspot. I wanted to get more Data if I could, but didn't want my bill jumping to $90 which is what happened after I paid my phone off and went to the regular 2gb plan. The girl lied to me about getting a bring your own device $15 discount, so I paid off phone and then got the higher bill. I was expecting to pay $80 2gb share everything plan, minus the $15 BYOD discount and it would be $65 plus taxes. My Bill would have been only $5 more or so a month, but that's not what happened. So I agree incompetence. I seem to see it more and more everywhere I go. LOL. Especially Best Buy, which sometimes I know more than the sales guys do.

ATT has been good to me, I get a good 4GLTE signal here, no problems when they try to help me, and I'm Paying $65 a month plus taxes and insurance. So bill is about $82 a month with everything, but I'm getting 2gb more than at Verizon and Rollover Data. I usually go to a corporate store, just because they carry more Items to look at, then the local ATT stores. All the big companies are expensive, but I have the 3gb and rollover data on ATT. So I have plenty to use and never came close to using the full 3gb. I'm a lot closer or over the 1gb now with not being so conservative with the 4G, so I'm happy. I wanted a GSM phone anyways, tired of the CDMA. Got rid of my Verizon Note 4 and got an ATT Note 4. More money yes, but after Big Red Took a lot of mine, glad to be done with them. Appreciate the advice though. Have to try the local ones in the future.

Last edited:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
this is my first cycle with lollipop as far as I can tell. Data was at over a gig within 5 days into the cycle. I found that Facebook app was using almost a half a gig by itself. I have disabled the app and have been using the browser. I'm mid cycle and over 2 gigs of my shared 6 gig plan. I'm the primary data user according to the data charts. I will usually barely get to 2 in a cycle. Why FB is using so much data is alarming. G+ uses quite a bit too. I'm not watching videos or downloading big files or even streaming music. regardless of 5.0 carriers moving to limited tiered data plans has pretty much made Google Music, Cloud photo apps, Spotify, Netflix, Youtube and Pandora useless because I dont have the luxury of 24/7 Wifi.

The point is that we shouldnt have to think about how we use our phones and just be able to use them as they are designed to be used. turning things off, not using this, not using that remembering to switch to wifi whenever possible (even on shady mall wifi) just to not go over that stupid data cap.

Will T-Mobile buy out an Edge plan for switching?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I WAS, getting the $15 discount on the Edge program, paying $70 a month taxes included for the 1gb Individual plan and mobile hotspot. I wanted to get more Data if I could, but didn't want my bill jumping to $90 which is what happened after I paid my phone off and went to the regular 2gb plan. The girl lied to me about getting a bring your own device $15 discount, so I paid off phone and then got the higher bill. I was expecting to pay $80 2gb share everything plan, minus the $15 BYOD discount and it would be $65 plus taxes. My Bill would have been only $5 more or so a month, but that's not what happened. So I agree incompetence. I seem to see it more and more everywhere I go. LOL. Especially Best Buy, which sometimes I know more than the sales guys do.

ATT has been good to me, I get a good 4GLTE signal here, no problems when they try to help me, and I'm Paying $65 a month plus taxes and insurance. So bill is about $82 a month with everything, but I'm getting 2gb more than at Verizon and Rollover Data. I usually go to a corporate store, just because they carry more Items to look at, then the local ATT stores. All the big companies are expensive, but I have the 3gb and rollover data on ATT. So I have plenty to use and never came close to using the full 3gb. I'm a lot closer or over the 1gb now with not being so conservative with the 4G, so I'm happy. I wanted a GSM phone anyways, tired of the CDMA. Got rid of my Verizon Note 4 and got an ATT Note 4. More money yes, but after Big Red Took a lot of mine, glad to be done with them. Appreciate the advice though. Have to try the local ones in the future.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't read carefully enough the first time; I thought you were just getting on Edge when you decided to also try to increase your data. I still wonder if it was intentional lies, or simply incompetence; either way, Verizon lost a customer and I hope they read posts like this. (I guess in my naive outlook on the world, I would much rather believe your bad experience was the result of incompetence than a flat-out lie!) It would be worth it to ALL the phone companies to pay people to monitor these posts... they could really learn a lot, I think.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I say she "Lied", is because I asked her repeatedly if she was sure that there was a bring you own device discount. I even said I checked the website and saw nothing about it. She told me it was a new promotion starting and I again asked if she was sure. So to me, maybe incompetence, but she should have checked to be sure, and I was assured by her that it was a new promotion starting. Now, I make sure they show me something or I ask a manager at the store, get a name and refuse do anything without some sort of proof. This is not the first time something like this has happened with Verizon. As a whole I don't like the company.

I left them before the Note 4 came out to go to ATT, the only reason I went back was because they offered the Note 4 at a lower full retail price than any other carrier. After I left with the Verizon Note 4, nothing but problems with it on ATT, so just got rid of it and bought the ATT Note 4. Much happier with the plan on ATT. The part that bothers me, is Incompetence or Not, She's probably still working there, I left and had to pay the Company More than I needed to if she wouldn't have said anything. Either Way Verizon still made there money, but now lost a customer for good. I just hope anybody dealing with her doesn't run into the same kind of problems.