greenify

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the Note 4 I was getting 6-7 minutes per 1% of battery. I was satisfied, but was able to tweak the device to hit 8 minutes. I installed greenify a few days later, and I am consistently getting 11-13 minutes per 1% of battery. I absolutely refuse to cripple my device to save battery, I am not nuts, and do not turn off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, widgets, email syncing, and I even keep 2 chat messengers running at all times.

I work 12+ hour days and use the device screen on 3 or more hours during that time, and never sweat battery life. By the time I get to my car I typically have 30-40% minimum remaining.

This is almost the exact same battery I get, and don't use any "management" apps. Really the best thing to do is just use your device, and let Android do it's thing. If you have an errant app running, just delete the thing. If an app can't be coded to control itself, then I don't want it on my phone. I just check FB on the web, which has the bonus of not coming with FB messenger, which I never use. Greenify is taking advantage of people worrying to much about battery. If you go to sleep at night with 10% battery or 30% battery, does it matter? You have to plug the thing in anyway. Even the Droid Turbo is gonna probably have to be plugged in everyday, as I really doubt your going to bed with it at 60%.

andy roddy

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
This is almost the exact same battery I get, and don't use any "management" apps. Really the best thing to do is just use your device, and let Android do it's thing. If you have an errant app running, just delete the thing. If an app can't be coded to control itself, then I don't want it on my phone. I just check FB on the web, which has the bonus of not coming with FB messenger, which I never use. Greenify is taking advantage of people worrying to much about battery. If you go to sleep at night with 10% battery or 30% battery, does it matter? You have to plug the thing in anyway. Even the Droid Turbo is gonna probably have to be plugged in everyday, as I really doubt your going to bed with it at 60%.
I think it depends on how many apps you have. On my note 2, I had around 500 apps and a lot of them were registered to be notified for things like wireless network change, GPS, etc. Autostarts is a good app to identify all these triggers and list the apps that are triggered on each event. Running Greenify with root was the difference between getting through through a whole day on one battery or having to plug in at 5-6PM.

On my Note 4, I am a little more selective about what I install, but after they figure out root, I'll probably put all the games back on and let greenify do its thing.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Personal preference, related to what apps, and what apps you are willing to live with and without.

For me, I want to never worry about the battery. I don't really want to figure out which app is misbehaving, and I definitly don't want to go to bed with 10% left on my device... Why?!?!? Well I'll tell you. What happens when my boss visits my work place (thankfully I don't have him in my building everyday!) and I wasn't expecting it. I spend 3 hours walking around with him, taking notes nearly constantly with my phone.. its called a NOTE for a reason. I snap off a few pictures of what he is seeing and jot down notes on the picture so I can visualize exactly the adjustments that he wants done. (I have tempted him to get a Note for the same reason, but the company phones are iPhones). So suddenly, the phone that might get 2 hours of screen time at work on a normal day, gets 5 hours or more on that day. If I normally go to bed with 10%... I will have killed my battery on those days.

I believe that the holy grail of a device is that is just works. No compromises, no heavy duty thoughts about what I can or can't do with it. I don't want to have to purposely "save" battery for later. I just want it to be there. Does that mean that it happens... hell no. But I can push towards that goal. Greenify lets me use my device with as little thought as possible. It is just always there. I have some maintenance to do, periodically adding apps to the hibernate list, etc. But I never have to type in my facebook username and password to link a game because I refuse to use the Facebook app (for one example). If you picked up my phone and used it all day, you wold never realize that it had greenify on it.

Its the same logic that drove me to buy a triple power (and triple sized) zerolemmon battery for my Note 2. It was massive, but I never worried about wakelocks, or what programs are running, etc. Greenify is a lighter solution to same problem....Once again... FOR ME (not necessary for everyone)

Yirga

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I tried. It won't even let me install. Keeps giving an error? Not sure what's going on there.

Posted via the Android Central App

En error? That is strange. Do you know the version of your Android system? ShutApp works on Android 4.1 or above.

And what is the error message?

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
En error? That is strange. Do you know the version of your Android system? ShutApp works on Android 4.1 or above.

And what is the error message?

I'm not sure what was up the other day when I tried but it just downloaded fine now. Seems to work great! It already said it saved me data & battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

5uck3rpunch

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Its very simple, assuming your NOT rooted, set up Automated Hibernation (4.1+) under experimental features. Then hit the + button at the bottom of the main screen. then select show more apps in the next screen.

After that select any app that you don't need to do its work automatically. For example, DO NOT select things like clock (your alarms won't work) or SMS (you won't get text messages). DO select games, and other programs that you only need when YOU select them and run them. They will work 100% the same for you, you won't notice any difference. They just won't run in the background. They are still in memory, and still load just as fast, and can be selected from the recent apps menu, left minimized (if they are multiwindow compatible). You would be amazed at the junk running in the background. I leave weather apps (so I can get severe weather alerts),and the calendar, and Textra (sms), Yahoo messenger, skype, hangouts and a very few others running. Everything else goes to nap. You need the apps to work when YOU tell them to, and greenify allows that easily. (You know how people say that the number of apps you have on your phone effects your battery life... greenify basically solves that problem, after all why should a game I only play once a week be eating a single second off my battery when I am not using it?)

Depending on how much I install on my phone, I recheck it once in a while to see if I need to add more to the hibernation list. Otherwise its nearly invisible.

The one short coming of being non-rooted, is that often, when I unlock my device, I have a screen showing sometimes with the app info that it stopped, rather than the home screen. A single press of the home button takes me right to my home screen. So no big deal.

Also, I have never used a device that was so stable. I can't remember the last time I had a unresponsive program that crashed. I reboot the phone every 3 or 4 days, mostly out of habit. Otherwise its rock solid.

I setup with your suggestions & my phone turns itself on to shut apps down very often. I dunno if this app is worth the battery life it may be saving since the screen is turning on all the time when the apps shut down. lol.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I setup with your suggestions & my phone turns itself on to shut apps down very often. I dunno if this app is worth the battery life it may be saving since the screen is turning on all the time when the apps shut down. lol.

It does it once every time you turn off the screen. Approx 3 minutes after the screen turns off. It is a limitation of using this app without root. On root it is invisible.

Also keep things in scale... turning on the screen for a few seconds to shut down apps uses very little battery compared to letting the programs run. Sure you see the screen come on but you don't see the apps running when its off. Of course, every situation is different. But that moment of the screen popping on is next to nothing on battery life.. its so short.

I uninstalled greenify a couple days ago, and ran with it for a while, then I re-installed it. Just to be sure that the increased battery life was from greenify and not from a change in apps, or how I use the phone. I still got a fairly noticeable increase in battery life from it.

As always your mileage may vary.

Banandroid15

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
That is a very arbitrary statement. You don't have the same amount of apps as he has installed on his phone. You dont have the same apps, meaning you could have 30 apps that dont run in the backround (most unlikely) and he has just 15 but most if not all, do actually drain battery. Also, we dont know how old your phone actually is, nor he's phone. You could be comparing a semi-new phone to an older phone, of course yours is going to last more. Also, what type of user are you? Casual or Hardcore power user? If you dont us it as much as he does, you`ll have more battery life. And its quite simple, the older the phone, the less battery life (this is where Greenify comes to the rescue, since I have a friend that had an older phone, and had quite a lot more battery juice than me. All by using Greenify.)

Android may be good at handling CPU usage. But many ignorant developers are not, and they create their apps without actually thinking what may do after they throw it to the market place. The developer of Greenify has stated the main reason for his app, other than saving batteries world wide, is to make developers aware that their app is on the black list and for them to actually do something.

fabris40

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the donation copy to allow me to greenify automatically, I am on a note 4 with AT&T running 5.01, but I cannot use the automate feature because I am not allowed to turn on the accessibility service on my device. It simply does not me allow to. What am I doing wrong? I am ready to uninstall the whole damn thing.