Samsung Galaxy Note 4 4k video skipping

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: 4k video skipping

I was wondering the same thing. I watched with my old Samsung and the ONLY difference I could notice was that my new Samsung had deeper blacks and bolder colors.

Another note I am trying to go around other t mobile stores and see if their notes also have the minimal stutter that I am experiencing on you tube. I am wondering if it's a you tube thing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You are only seeing 720p unless the video quality setting in the app says otherwise. You can go to youtube through Chrome, request the desktop site, and manually change the setting to any of the supported resolutions that way, but I get skipping with most 1440p videos I watch that way. I would assume that's why it isn't supported in the Android app yet. I did come across one video yesterday that I watched in 1440 with zero issues. But that's the extent of my luck so far.

Posted via the Android Central App

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Just curious, but I watched a few of these YouTube 4k vids myself...if you tube is only outputting 720p, is it still true 4k?

Nope, not 4K. Unfortunately. Try going through Chrome if you want to attempt 4K. Go to settings and check "request desktop site", then click the settings button on the video, and you will see all supported resolutions. You will then see what I believe is probably the reason it isn't supported in the app. Seems to be very glitchy right now. Skips on almost all videos I've found. But not 100%.

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

I just got my note 4 and have been trying to watch 4k videos and I am getting some frame rate skipping issues. I was watching a video of horses running across a field in 4k. Take a look below at about 35 seconds. Anyone else experience the same issue?

GoPro: Wild Mustangs - A Legacy in 4K: GoPro: Wild Mustangs - A Legacy in 4K - YouTube

Click the link in this original post, but use chrome to open. When it opens, request desktop site, set video quality to 1440p, and see how it works out for you.

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Click the link in this original post, but use chrome to open. When it opens, request desktop site, set video quality to 1440p, and see how it works out for you. When you get 1440(our phone does not support 4K viewing), you will definitely notice the difference. And it will load SO SLOW.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I believe it has to do with your phone. It could be that your Ram is very low, your WIFI not that strong or if you are watching it on 4G your signal strength may not be that strong. You can only watch it in 720p. Check out some of what I mentioned above. I watched the video at work on my work wifi and at home on my home WiFi. I just watched it on my 4G signal. I had no issues watching it on my phone using the YouTube app. No stuttering at all.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Thanks all for your input. I went to a couple of stores and tested out 6 different phones with 4k screens and all phones had the minimal skipping I am experienceing. I tried the note 4, droid turbo, new Sony phone. I didn't try the flex though because the stores don't even have it on display anymore. I have yet to try the chrome desktop method though but will get to it tonight.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

So I just tried the desktop sight. At first the video played a tad bit smoother....but after testing out several different videos everything started to get worse and play even more sluggish and the stutter was ridiculous. I even force closed everything and reattempted but same issue. The quality was near the same as the you tube application also. I think I may have overloaded my phone or something. Gonna try restarting my phone after dinner and give it another shot.

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

So I just tried the desktop sight. At first the video played a tad bit smoother....but after testing out several different videos everything started to get worse and play even more sluggish and the stutter was ridiculous. I even force closed everything and reattempted but same issue. The quality was near the same as the you tube application also. I think I may have overloaded my phone or something. Gonna try restarting my phone after dinner and give it another shot.

Yea, hence why they don't offer 1440 in the actual app. I've gotten some videos to play much better though. Check out some others. Also, don't select 4K. You will only slow down your buffering speed. The Note 4 only supports QHD(1440p).

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Trying it out again when I get a chance. Thanks man

Yep. I'm going to try your original video with all other apps closed. If it still skips, I'm going to redownload DU Speed Booster, and see if using its boost feature will help. Will let you know.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

So with a 118 mbps download speed with selecting 1440, I still get a lot of stutter and lag. But my phone is capable of 165 mbps, however my wife is streaming hi Def vudu movies right now so I need to wait yet again. But I do see now that the option should be 1440p instead of 2560p since 2560p is higher than 4k resolution.

TaterMay

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
So with a 118 mbps download speed with selecting 1440, I still get a lot of stutter and lag. But my phone is capable of 165 mbps, however my wife is streaming hi Def vudu movies right now so I need to wait yet again. But I do see now that the option should be 1440p instead of 2560p since 2560p is higher than 4k resolution.

No, 2560p IS 4K. The Note 4 does NOT support 4K. It supports QHD, which is the 1440p. And yes, most people are getting skipping. It's not your connection. It's a fairly new resolution, so they've obviously got some bugs to work out. Again, this is most likely the reason the YouTube app will not allow you to select anything over 720 or 1080.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

No, 2560p IS 4K. The Note 4 does NOT support 4K. It supports QHD, which is the 1440p. And yes, most people are getting skipping. It's not your connection. It's a fairly new resolution, so they've obviously got some bugs to work out. Again, this is most likely the reason the YouTube app will not allow you to select anything over 720 or 1080.

So as corporations and their crafty advertising go... the result is you can RECORD in 4k and view your recordings in 4k but that's it. No 4k on streaming or anything else for now. Does that sound right?

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

So I have about 45 seconds of video I shot earlier today at 4K on my Note 4. Should be available in HD soon, But it wont shows up at 4K(darn it).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F112244595&token=adNCZVau

Data rate of the video according to Quick Time is 48.13 megabits per second. That number does not include overhead through the internet. If you expect to play it back your download speed will have to be right at 350 megabytes per minute plus overhead. Considering my Sony CineAlta SDI inputs uncompressed video into my computer is about 13 gigabytes per minute. Pretty amazing how good the video is with that much compression.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

So I have about 45 seconds of video I shot earlier today at 4K on my Note 4. Should be available in HD soon, But it wont shows up at 4K(darn it).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F112244595&token=YtH7Mqzm

Data rate of the video according to Quick Time is 48.13 megabits per second. That number does not include overhead through the internet. If you expect to play it back your download speed will have to be right at 350 megabytes per minute plus overhead. Considering my Sony CineAlta SDI inputs uncompressed video into my computer is about 13 gigabytes per minute. Pretty amazing how good the video is with that much compression.

Yeah only looks like regular video right now. When will it be available in hd?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo