Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Little bit dissapointed

norieUK

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
just got the note 4 delivered today.. upgrade from galaxy s3.. now i loved my galaxy had it roughly 2 years.. pretty decent camera even up until now..

read up on the note 4 for quite a fe months and new this was the monster i wanted to upgrade to.. i upgraded to the white version of note 4.. it really feels cheap and plasticky to touch.. the small thin strip of silver around the frame really shows how much thought samsung have put into the overall build.. after the reviews of s5 you would have thought samsung would have dramatically improved the design and overfeel,, even the samsung alpha is a much more solid device..

now dont get me wrong the screen resolution and camera are awsome and a few of the additional featured are pretty cool, dual apps etc..

but now onto the overall layout, feel of the stock OS.. the icons look horrid and plain, even when i hold my s3 side by side the s3 icons/layout looks much better.. the folder option in particular in the note 4 are just so ugly to look at.. i looked around on here and found nova launcher but although you can tweak the layout of folder icons colours etc.. its still doesnt look smooth and worth the money..

seriously 2 years later and my galaxy s3 feels and looks better ?

very dissapointed.. so whats the options ? with lolipop improve things ?

thinking of returning the phone i have 14 days to decide..

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Little bit dissapointed

The funny thing is I believe that a lot of the changes were made because people thought the old look of TouchWiz was too "cartoony." The Note 4 icons are a bit more flat to go along with the rest of the Android stock icons.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I think you should definitely return it. Why would you pay money for something you don't like as much as what you already have? Send it back I say.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

read up on the note 4 for quite a fe months and new this was the monster i wanted to upgrade to.. i upgraded to the white version of note 4.. it really feels cheap and plasticky to touch..

I agree with everything you said concerning TouchWiz. I don't think very many people on this website buy anything from Samsung with the plan to keep TW (some obviously do). But I can't quite wrap my head around you saying your S3 feels better and that the Note 4 is lacking in build quality. Now I understand everyone has different opinions, and I actually loved my S3 in terms of the hardware. But man the Note 4 feels solid and amazing to the touch. Visually, this thing is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Samsung has ever released. If you think this feels "cheap and plasticky" but the S3 doesn't, I can't comprehend that. I sincerely hope you can enjoy this, otherwise as another stated, definitely swap it out for something you like better. No sense in trying to force the issue if it simply isn't for you.

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Coming from 2 years of S3 ownership directly to the Note 4, I disagree entirely with every negative comment. The two phones are in another world, the Note 4 is leaps and bounds better in every way. For you to say it feels cheap and plastic-y to the touch screams troll because the S3 is one of the cheapest feeling and most plastic-y creeky phones out there.

norieUK

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

i have no reason to troll.. even earlier posters have agreed that TW is cheap and basic..

yes the s3 has the plastic back.. so does the note 4 although it has a leather feel to it, to me the s3 outer rim is more solid ( altho the silver paint flakes of in time )

for some1 to post there opinions doesnt make them a troll.. i`ll post delivery receipt and 2 phones side by side if you like..

but obviously the fan boys will never have a bad word to say against there prized asset..

anyyways is there other choices out there to make the icons look better at least ?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

i have no reason to troll.. even earlier posters have agreed that TW is cheap and basic..

yes the s3 has the plastic back.. so does the note 4 although it has a leather feel to it, to me the s3 outer rim is more solid ( altho the silver paint flakes of in time )

for some1 to post there opinions doesnt make them a troll.. i`ll post delivery receipt and 2 phones side by side if you like..

but obviously the fan boys will never have a bad word to say against there prized asset..

anyyways is there other choices out there to make the icons look better at least ?

If it helps any, I in no way feel you are being a troll. I am at a loss in terms of saying the S3 is better build quality, but I don't think that means you're a troll. I personally use Google Now Launcher which I thought made the overall appearance of the software MUCH better. However, it does not help with the icons themselves. If you want an icon pack, you'd have to use Nova or Apex or one of those launchers. At least as far as i'm aware.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

just got the note 4 delivered today.. upgrade from galaxy s3.. now i loved my galaxy had it roughly 2 years.. pretty decent camera even up until now..

read up on the note 4 for quite a fe months and new this was the monster i wanted to upgrade to.. i upgraded to the white version of note 4.. it really feels cheap and plasticky to touch.. the small thin strip of silver around the frame really shows how much thought samsung have put into the overall build.. after the reviews of s5 you would have thought samsung would have dramatically improved the design and overfeel,, even the samsung alpha is a much more solid device..

now dont get me wrong the screen resolution and camera are awsome and a few of the additional featured are pretty cool, dual apps etc..

but now onto the overall layout, feel of the stock OS.. the icons look horrid and plain, even when i hold my s3 side by side the s3 icons/layout looks much better.. the folder option in particular in the note 4 are just so ugly to look at.. i looked around on here and found nova launcher but although you can tweak the layout of folder icons colours etc.. its still doesnt look smooth and worth the money..

Anything that would make me feel like the way you described, I would not think, I would take it back, right now, quick and in a hurry. Don't even wait for your 14 days. You might get sick and miss your return window, and you be stuck with something that is not to your liking.

Again, my advice, take it back right now, today!! :)

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I've found so many icon packs till I'm almost overwhelmed! Take a look around. As for comparing it to the s3, well i don't agree but so what? My hubs' s3 feels and looks like a dinosaur to me. It's your feelings that matter. I'd suggest taking a couple hours and actually downloading and trying out different launchers. They obviously won't change the way the device looks and feels though. If it just feels funky, return it. Keep the s3 that you still love :)

SGN4 :-D

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I just can't comprehend someone thinking the S3 had a better build. Im holding both right now and the only way I can even remotely see your perspective is maybe squared (and chamfered ) sides = worse build and you are accustomed to and only like rounded style a la S3? Try the G3, you might like that more.

Don't ever call me a fan boy because I disagree with your opinion, just like I wont call you a hater for having yours. Dont be ignorant.

Take the phone back as the above poster mentioned, if you don't love the phone move on, life is to short to force yourself to like something you naturally do not.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Sorry OP I have to disagree as well. I also used the S3 for over a year and while I loved it, and it was responsible for making me upgrade ot the Note 3, then the Note 4, I simply can't comprehend either how you could think the S3 had a better build. Hyperglaze was so cheap and tacky it made the phone feel like you were holding a giant jelly bean.

Granted back then it wasn't so tasteless but the Note 3 was an improvement, let alone the Note 4. Literally, reviewers are praising the Note 4 for it's metal trim and chamfered edges (despite the fact that it scratches sooo easily). But if you honestly think that the S3 looked and felt better then you probably have a personal inclination towards glossy finishes. That's not a bad thing, but you might find yourself in the minority since the current trend is leaning towards preference for metal.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I won't call you a troll, but it is preposterous that one would think the S3 had a better build. I too had the phone for 2 years. It felt super plasticky and cheap, especially after a little wear. And the Samsung Alpha has a design just like this one so I'm confused on how you say it's a lot better... I think you're mixing up size to hand ratio with quality of build. The Note might not feel right in your hand but probably about 90+% of people think this device has the best build quality of all Samsung devices.

As for the OS. I can understand that. However to say Nova doesn't seem worth it is a big mistake on your part. Nova is one of the best and most downloaded apps of all time on Android. It's highly praised in reviews. It's written every penny. I would pay $10 for this Launcher. The speed and fluidity of this launcher is untouchable. You will not regret getting it. Everything you dislike about the touch wiz launcher can be changed by Nova. Do not overlook it.

The Note 4 is a hell of a device. The great thing about android is that you can change your device for you. If you're disappointed... Do something about it. Don't act like an iPhone user with no autonomy in the way their $800 device is. Download a Launcher and speed up those animations. Get rid of your disappointments.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I can totally understand having expectations going in that end up not being met, particularly if you came from an older device with preconceived notions of how things should look. If you don't want to put in too much effort to change things to your liking that's understandable too and if so don't hesitate to return it. In my opinion it's no different than returning a different product that doesn't suit your liking. Sometimes people assume price will mean things will suit them better but I don't always find that to be the case. It's not a flaw with the design or a mistake on samsungs part to not make a device suit everyone's needs, it just is what it is.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Being as though my initial android phone was the morotola Atrix with AT&T, I can say that I've never personally experienced the build quality of the Galaxy S3... Now rewind 2 years ago, and I've bought the S3 for my wife, and she's had each version every time, S4, and then S5, each feeling and looking better than the last iteration. Since the introduction of the Note series, I've owned each and everyone one, and just by doing a comparison to my wife's devices, even though the Note 2 was based on the S3, and the Note 3 was based on the S4, they are worlds apart, and the Note series was/is definitely much better in all aspects. Some complain about the sheer size of the phone, but with the features and abilities, it counter acts the size naysayers and does a heck of a job being a dual purpose device.

I'm sorry to see that the Note 4 didn't live up to the preconceived expectations done by your mind, but the beauty of the beautiful device you have (see what I did there) is that it is an android, and you can customize it to anything you like. Heck if you want to download APEX or Nova or any other themable launchers, and then find some S3 icons and use it to recreate the "wonderful" phone experience that you had, with upgraded hardware and killer instincts.

Hope this helps, and give you better insight on the beauty that is the Note 4

Also, if you are new to the android OS, change can be a shock, but the overall improvements of the S-pen, year to year, the wonderful screen, the awesome camera, the brilliant battery, the perfect feel... all of these are just welcome improvements to the note line... and trust me I've been a fluent user of al 4 devices.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I guess my question to the OP is, what experience is he or she looking for? I understand that the Galaxy S3 was an awesome device for them, but what prompted wanting to upgrade the device? Also, I would say, when you have a device that long, you become partial to that device. It will take time to adjust to something new, it happens. I remember when I had my iPhone 5 and iOS 7 was released. People threw fits because they didn't like the new look of the icons. Now, I would suspect that the consensus is that most iPhone users like the new look of iOS. But a rapid departure of what you know and love can be jarring. I personally love Touch Wiz. I know that others don't, but that's on them.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Being as though my initial android phone was the morotola Atrix with AT&T, I can say that I've never personally experienced the build quality of the Galaxy S3... Now rewind 2 years ago, and I've bought the S3 for my wife, and she's had each version every time, S4, and then S5, each feeling and looking better than the last iteration. Since the introduction of the Note series, I've owned each and everyone one, and just by doing a comparison to my wife's devices, even though the Note 2 was based on the S3, and the Note 3 was based on the S4, they are worlds apart, and the Note series was/is definitely much better in all aspects. Some complain about the sheer size of the phone, but with the features and abilities, it counter acts the size naysayers and does a heck of a job being a dual purpose device.

I'm sorry to see that the Note 4 didn't live up to the preconceived expectations done by your mind, but the beauty of the beautiful device you have (see what I did there) is that it is an android, and you can customize it to anything you like. Heck if you want to download APEX or Nova or any other themable launchers, and then find some S3 icons and use it to recreate the "wonderful" phone experience that you had, with upgraded hardware and killer instincts.

Hope this helps, and give you better insight on the beauty that is the Note 4

Also, if you are new to the android OS, change can be a shock, but the overall improvements of the S-pen, year to year, the wonderful screen, the awesome camera, the brilliant battery, the perfect feel... all of these are just welcome improvements to the note line... and trust me I've been a fluent user of al 4 devices.

Couldn't be said any better.

A while back I had a S4 when they first came out, but since it didn't have 32gb models at Tmobile, I returned it. Low and behold, I waited, waited, waited, and got introduced to the Note 3... The Note 3 when it came out, IMO, was the "king chit".. It was so and IMO, still so far from an S3, that you need a telescope. to see the S3. The Note 4 would need a Hubble Space Telescope to see the S3!.. :)

norieUK

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

thx for all the replys..

1st off.. most are right yes the S3 was a plasticky phone.. but for me.. i changed the back cover straight away to 1 of those covers that closes like a book with leather inside so the screen doesnt get scratched.. so maybe thats why it never felt so plasticky..

anyways,, who here has a white NOTE 4 ? thats what i have.. and for any1 to say the build is solid then look at the HTC ONE M8 or even the new iphone 6.. those are SOLID builds.. why is even samsung thinking of making the S6 a solid build ? because this is what ppl want..

IMO the note 4 for a flagship h-set from Samsung build is cheap and plasticky, i dont have anything bad to say under the bonnet other than the icons.. my main complaint is this plastic edge with silver strip.. rmbr this phone retails for around £600 !

i love samsung/andriod to bits, the customizations of settings and rooting h-set is what brought me to samsung in the 1st place..

but for any1 to say the build is solid and top end.. is in denial, again IMO...
plastic phone for £600 ? seriously ?

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

thx for all the replys..

1st off.. most are right yes the S3 was a plasticky phone.. but for me.. i changed the back cover straight away to 1 of those covers that closes like a book with leather inside so the screen doesnt get scratched.. so maybe thats why it never felt so plasticky..

anyways,, who here has a white NOTE 4 ? thats what i have.. and for any1 to say the build is solid then look at the HTC ONE M8 or even the new iphone 6.. those are SOLID builds.. why is even samsung thinking of making the S6 a solid build ? because this is what ppl want..

IMO the note 4 for a flagship h-set from Samsung build is cheap and plasticky, i dont have anything bad to say under the bonnet other than the icons.. my main complaint is this plastic edge with silver strip.. rmbr this phone retails for around £600 !

i love samsung/andriod to bits, the customizations of settings and rooting h-set is what brought me to samsung in the 1st place..

but for any1 to say the build is solid and top end.. is in denial, again IMO...
plastic phone for £600 ? seriously ?

Guess we should ignore the reviews from Engadget, Verge, CNET, Anandtech, Android Authority, GSMArena and countless other sites that have praised the build quality of the Note 4.

You should definitely return the Note 4 and get a different phone. Why keep a phone that you're unsatisfied with? Don't think anyone wants to waste their time trying to convince you otherwise.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

This us a beautiful device. Everyone has their own opinions. Love the Note devices. Each has been great.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress