android 5.0 lollipop on Note 4

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
What's the point if TouchWiz will just mess it up

Posted via My Note 4

Apparently you haven't tried to use TW on your Note 4 very much. It's not perfect, but it is definitely the best version of TW Samsung has developed. Unless you are bound and determined to customize your home screens, TW is "good enough" to be a daily use item.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
At best.... Come on people... Can't we somehow collectively find a way to force the carriers out of the process.

Sadly no -- they are allowed to add bloat and stuff so they can hold the update while they get all that in and working.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of a mixed blessing to get updates quickly, to be honest. When I was using my Nexus 5 on Lollipop right after it came out I ran into many bugs and issues with certain apps. My wife, who still has a Nexus 5, is running into trouble as well and my dad actually rolled back to KitKat due to bugs.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Sadly no -- they are allowed to add bloat and stuff so they can hold the update while they get all that in and working.

Well, they're allowed only because Google and/or the specific manufacturers haven't negotiated for them to stop. Apple got their iPhones on carriers without letting them add any bloat (because they have the monopoly on iDevices). Since there are so many Android devices, it would take *all* the manufacturers getting together or a huge push by Google to stop carrier bloat, and that's extremely unlikely to happen.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, they're allowed only because Google and/or the specific manufacturers haven't negotiated for them to stop. Apple got their iPhones on carriers without letting them add any bloat (because they have the monopoly on iDevices). Since there are so many Android devices, it would take *all* the manufacturers getting together or a huge push by Google to stop carrier bloat, and that's extremely unlikely to happen.
Not exactly why the two systems are so different in that regard.

Android was originally conceived as an open source platform, completely free for users. Google saw an opportunity for mobile device ad revenue. Google did not (and still doesn't for the most part) see themselves as a hardware/device manufacturer. Google is an information company. The more open their platform, the more information they gather. A certain degree of variation between content providers is expected.

Apple is the exact opposite. The have been and continue to be a hardware first company. That's why they control the content. For Apple, the user experience has to be consistent. So they are the content provider. They allow outside app development, but only on their very strict terms.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly why the two systems are so different in that regard.

Android was originally conceived as an open source platform, completely free for users. Google saw an opportunity for mobile device ad revenue. Google did not (and still doesn't for the most part) see themselves as a hardware/device manufacturer. Google is an information company. The more open their platform, the more information they gather. A certain degree of variation between content providers is expected.

Apple is the exact opposite. The have been and continue to be a hardware first company. That's why they control the content. For Apple, the user experience has to be consistent. So they are the content provider. They allow outside app development, but only on their very strict terms.

Maybe, but the point is that Apple still made sure that carriers don't install extra junk. Google's starting to do the same by locking down *some* parts of Android to give a more consistent user experience than in the past. It would still take Google or all the hardware manufacturers to get together to stop the carriers from installing their junk on the devices. But if all the manufacturers didn't get together, it wouldn't work as the carriers would just subsidize phones from manufacturers that didn't prevent them from installing their junk.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
While I agree that the carrier apps are mostly redundant and often inferior to other apps, they aren't junk.

The carriers do it because they are revenue sources for the company. Google doesn't do anything about it because it fits the overall model of Android. More development means more information. That's why they built in the ability to disable rather than forbid carriers from doing it.

Back when you had to root in order to get rid of bloat, I agree that it was more of a problem.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, but the point is that Apple still made sure that carriers don't install extra junk. Google's starting to do the same by locking down *some* parts of Android to give a more consistent user experience than in the past. It would still take Google or all the hardware manufacturers to get together to stop the carriers from installing their junk on the devices. But if all the manufacturers didn't get together, it wouldn't work as the carriers would just subsidize phones from manufacturers that didn't prevent them from installing their junk.

And yet at the same time they're taking the Nexus line and allowing carriers to brand and install their bloatware on the devices, and even to do so on unlocked, unbranded devices through VPL.

The question isn't how would they stop carriers from installing their own software, but why? Consumers continue to buy phones with carrier software, and I don't think anyone picked the iPhone instead of the Galaxy S5 because they were bothered by the inclusion of the T-Mobile MyAccount app (that can be disabled). If the inclusion of carrier software will get the carriers to advertise the phones for them I don't think the manufacturers are going to put an end to it.

FSU30

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Probably December or January. If you're on VZW, you'll get the notification to upgrade to lollipop on your N4 roughly 2 months after the release of the Note 6.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

Hahaha! I laughed my **** off at this one!

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping for a December release

Good try. I too would like to see this thread return to the topic it was intended for and not a debate about why Apple doesn't have bloat and Android does.

I'd love to see 5.0 in december but I wont be too upset either way because i've loved Kit Kat since I got it last year on my Nexus 5.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The question isn't how would they stop carriers from installing their own software, but why? Consumers continue to buy phones with carrier software, and I don't think anyone picked the iPhone instead of the Galaxy S5 because they were bothered by the inclusion of the T-Mobile MyAccount app (that can be disabled). If the inclusion of carrier software will get the carriers to advertise the phones for them I don't think the manufacturers are going to put an end to it.

No, they're definitely not likely to stop it because of getting their phones subsidised by the carriers (even though Apple does the same thing without carrier bloat).

But, as for the why? Because when Google comes out with an update to Android, consumers not only have to wait for the phone manufacturers to add their fingerprints (such as a custom launcher), but then there's a *longer* wait for the carriers to add *their* junk. So, for some consumers (like those on Verizon), Android could be a few revisions ahead before they get an upgrade to a now 'old' version. That doesn't happen with Apple, for one. When they make an update, *all* their (capable) devices get that upgrade as soon as its available.

Let's face it. Android 5 is out now, it'll be at least January before Samsung writes off on it, so likely February/March before most (non Verizon) carriers release an update. Will Android be up to 5.01 or higher by that point? How long then, before we get *that* update? That is is the why Android needs fewer people (like the carriers) mucking with the software.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Sort of skipped the whole preview period even though I'd flash custom stuff on my Nexus for the past 2 years . . Anyway, I recently went back to stock on my Nexus 4 since repurposing it for work email only and I just installed Lollipop on it today. I gotta say, I just don't understand the hype and anticipation.

I always like dark and translucent stuff, so to see a whole bunch of white and solid colors again just irritates me . . its like I'm watching an episode of blues clues or something . . ugh . . I honestly regret flashing it on my Nexus 4.

I played with the Nexus 6 at AT&T today too and was impressed by the phone but wasn't pleased by the way some of the elements of the UI looked, especially the navigation bar. I mean SERIOUSLY why the playstation button shapes . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy