Screen "blotchy" under sunlight?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't bother me that much, I'm just wondering if this is normal or if it is a defect with my Note 4. Under the right angle of direct sunlight, when the screen is off or displaying a black image, I can see black "blotches" that are just slightly darker than the rest of the screen.

I've had three other devices with AMOLED screens (DInc, Droid Razr and GNex) and it reminds me a lot of the blotches that you would see in a dark room when displaying a black background. Except I don't see those on my Note 4, I only see the blotches in direct sunlight like I said above.

Is that normal with this particular AMOLED screen?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When under direct sunlight, if your brightness settings are set to it, the screen goes into hyperdrive, exaggerating colors and yes, you might see blotches of black.

A cool after-effect of this adaptive screen is that your shadow over light colors, instead of 'covering' the sun (dark shadow) seems to turn into a white shadow that accentuates the screen. Try it, it's sooooo cool!

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that's the same thing I am talking about. In my case, it is visible when the display is off (phone asleep or powered off off) as well.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
If it is possible, post up pictures of what you're talking about. The only explanation I am aware of is SpookDroid's.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, with the screen off? Then that's not something I've seen on mine or any of the past AMOLED Sammy phones I've owned. I guess that as long as it doesn't show when the screen is on, it shouldn't be a problem... right?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'll try to get a picture but it's a cloudy day here so I'm not able to see the issue. It's visible with the screen on or off, as I said in my first post. It's difficult enough to see though that I imagine it would be missed unless you happened to catch your phone in the right light.