I thought okay Google worked from the lock screen

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You have to enable it to work when the screen is locked.
Look for it in Settings, Language and input, Google voice typing, OK Google detection. There's an on off toggle in there.
It's really buried deep.

Keep in mind that, if you enable it to work with the screen off and locked, anybody could perform certain tasks on your phone even if locked.

Posted via my Note 4 and first Andoid ever on the Android Central App

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
You have to enable it to work when the screen is locked.
Look for it in Settings, Language and input, Google voice typing, OK Google detection. There's an on off toggle in there.
It's really buried deep.

Keep in mind that, if you enable it to work with the screen off and locked, anybody could perform certain tasks on your phone even if locked.

Posted via my Note 4 and first Andoid ever on the Android Central App

Omg just enabled it and it uses my voice to unlock. 3 people in the room sayingokay Google fails. My voice saying okay Google works on a totally locked phone. Mind blown. Security built in. This blows the s5 away

ericandjan

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for the great information!

I set voice with OK Google to 1) Work from any screen, and 2) from the lock screen. It will respond to my voice even when locked; however, I receive a message indicating that I need to unlock the phone before it can process commands. My problem is that I have a Bluetooth speakerphone in the car, and I'd really like to be able to use voice commands only to make calls. So, for example, if my phone is locked and in the car, I'd like to say OK Google, then say "call so-and-so" and have it actually dial; however, it accepts and recognizes the command (I can see it on my screen while testing in the house), but it replies with the message indicating I need to unlock the phone. Any way around this limitation before Lollipop and "trusted devices" is available? Would Samsung's sVoice circumvent this?

Thanks!

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for the great information!

I set voice with OK Google to 1) Work from any screen, and 2) from the lock screen. It will respond to my voice even when locked; however, I receive a message indicating that I need to unlock the phone before it can process commands. My problem is that I have a Bluetooth speakerphone in the car, and I'd really like to be able to use voice commands only to make calls. So, for example, if my phone is locked and in the car, I'd like to say OK Google, then say "call so-and-so" and have it actually dial; however, it accepts and recognizes the command (I can see it on my screen while testing in the house), but it replies with the message indicating I need to unlock the phone. Any way around this limitation before Lollipop and "trusted devices" is available? Would Samsung's sVoice circumvent this?

Thanks!

I'm trying to do the same thing in my car through a Bluetooth earpiece and having the same results. I also use the Dragon voice assistant and someone posted on another thread they were able to make/receive phone calls & texts with the screen locked using Dragon but so far I've been unable to. I'll have to play with the Dragon settings and see if I can get it to work with the screen locked using fingerprint.

ericandjan

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I may retry Dragon, too. I just upgraded from the S3, and Dragon did not work for this problem. Maybe Note 4 with Kitkat 4.4.4 will allow Dragon to get around the issue.

I'm really hoping that Lollipop comes quicker than hoped for and gets rid of dependencies on other apps to fill this particular gap.

Update: Just installed Dragon on my Verizon Note 4 and tested. So far, I can say that it will wake the phone up out of locked and screen off state, and, if I tell it to "call so-and-so," it actually does it! This is progress!!

Last edited:

pastoric

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Greetings!

I can get this to work holding my phone in my hand. However, I can't seem to get it to work with my bluetooth headset (which I insist on using when driving). Any and all help would be GREATLY aprreciated. Thanks!

I may retry Dragon, too. I just upgraded from the S3, and Dragon did not work for this problem. Maybe Note 4 with Kitkat 4.4.4 will allow Dragon to get around the issue.

I'm really hoping that Lollipop comes quicker than hoped for and gets rid of dependencies on other apps to fill this particular gap.

Update: Just installed Dragon on my Verizon Note 4 and tested. So far, I can say that it will wake the phone up out of locked and screen off state, and, if I tell it to "call so-and-so," it actually does it! This is progress!!

Thanks for posting this. Tried it myself and works perfectly, much more reliable than Google now when waking from lock screen.

Posted via my rooted, debloated VZW Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Set a password to your lock screen and try saying "Ok GOOGLE"!

Does it work for any of you...? I get a voice back saying "to do a google search please unlock your phone"!!!!

Any 1 with a similar issue?

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok google won't work with the s view flip case. If I say it I, hear the plink sound but it won't respond any more unless the case is open. Anyone got it to work?

Posted via the Android Central App

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Set a password to your lock screen and try saying "Ok GOOGLE"!

Does it work for any of you...? I get a voice back saying "to do a google search please unlock your phone"!!!!

Any 1 with a similar issue?

Well, you gotta go to Settings --> Language and Input --> Google Voice Typing (gear symbol) --> OK Google Detection --> check "Always On" and then "When Locked"

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I just tried it with my S View cover clued and open. When closed, OK Google returns the double beep, but doesn't follow thru on my command. With the cover open, but screen shut off by hitting the power button briefly, OK Google wakes up and carries out my command.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zeyad Zafar

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
On my Z1 Compact it OK Google will work from the lock screen but only when I press the side button to turn the screen on, otherwise not, theres nothing in settings that will fix this, unfortunately.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I wish this worked on my LG Escape 2. But unfortunately it doesn't. I have to have the screen illuminated before it will work.

from my incredibly cheap Android smartphone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress