Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Getting weird redirects to update Dolphin Browser

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
But I don't have Dolphin installed. I'm only finding it happen whenever I'm on HipHopDX.com, esp if I click on a link to another HipHopDX article or an embedded link in the article. (Using stock Samsung Internet app)

I'm hoping this is a problem with the actual site and not my phone, can anyone replicate this? The following screen is what pops up (if it comes up for you don't click on cancel or update, swipe down on the screen to bring up the toolbar and close the tab)

Attachments

• 1419488393970.jpg
    1419488393970.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 30

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Getting weird redirects to update Dolphin Browser

I played around on the site, clicking a few links, viewing th whole site and clicking links ... nothing. (Same browser - Internet.) You must have virus in that phone. Your antivirus and/or antimalware app (you should be running both) should have caught it.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I played around on the site, clicking a few links, viewing th whole site and clicking links ... nothing. (Same browser - Internet.) You must have virus in that phone. Your antivirus and/or antimalware app (you should be running both) should have caught it.

Thank you. Lookout didn't catch anything - can you recommend any antivirus/malware apps please?

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Ok, even weirder: installed/used around 4-5 different antivirus/malware apps and they all said I was 100% fine. Now when I try and check on that site it no longer redirects me to the above screen (yet)

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Dolphin browser since the beginning of time...OK, for years ...I've never seen this. If the browser is updated something else is wrong.. hope you get it fixed. You can always ask the help guys... they are quick to respond and extremely friendly. If they Feel it's an issue with their product they will forward it to the devs immediately.

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

JI don't think this is Dolphin browser-related. I think it's just disguising itself as one, I got a separate fake system update alert from a different site (although it is also a Hip Hop news site) and was able to find this info on the subject:

Mobile Malvertising : Fake Virus Alert | Stop Malvertising (malekal.com)

Do you guys think it's related to the advertising these mobile sites use, or that the malware is actually in my phone? I'm close to doing a factory reset since none of the virus/malware programs I've used have found anything

url]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa