apps to SD help.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The question I have is, what is the advantage of moving apps to SD external memory? One advantage is saving internal memory. Also I know apps that have been moved to SD will not work for widgets . Are there any other advantages and disadvantages?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Some apps won't work from the SD card, but the person who made the app didn't know to check whether it would, so it's not prevented from being moved.

Not all parts of an app can be moved.

And each part that's moved leaves a link in internal storage, pointing to where it is on the external card, so you may not save as much space as you thought you would.

Also, backing up a card, formatting it and restoring it will work fine for files - but the apps that were moved to it are no longer installed - because they're not restored to where the links say they are. (Backing up and restoring copies files, it doesn't make a clone of the card.)

Best bet - use a phone with enough internal storage for your apps and leave the external card for what it was designed to do - be a repository for data.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Some apps won't work from the SD card, but the person who made the app didn't know to check whether it would, so it's not prevented from being moved.

Not all parts of an app can be moved.

And each part that's moved leaves a link in internal storage, pointing to where it is on the external card, so you may not save as much space as you thought you would.

Also, backing up a card, formatting it and restoring it will work fine for files - but the apps that were moved to it are no longer installed - because they're not restored to where the links say they are. (Backing up and restoring copies files, it doesn't make a clone of the card.)

Best bet - use a phone with enough internal storage for your apps and leave the external card for what it was designed to do - be a repository for data.

Detailed explanation.

i think its depends on the apps

Cliff notes.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Bad Robin!