Note 4 burn-in.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
would you have noticed it if you hadn't dialed in the code? Is it visible to the naked eye? If not why stress over it?
This is how I feel about it. If it's not visible to me and the only way to know this is to run a test, I don't see a problem. No pun intended.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

InVez

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I got your point, I think you missed mine. If the only way you can even begin to detect "burn in" is by accessing a menu that the majority of users won't know how to find on their phone, then I question the "issue" at hand.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around, does it make a sound?

Its more that i wanted to know if some of the Note 4 Users had the same issue i have

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy Note 4

InVez

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I think it's a little premature to be ringing the "burn in" alarm bell. There may be a unit here or there that has it, but the majority of users are either not noticing the problem or not having it.

I've had mine since the release date, use it daily, it is never turned off at night, variety of screen brightness settings, mostly lower level brightness to extend battery life. No burn in issues that I can see.

If you had issues with burn in, you'd be able to see it with the screen on in regular use, and at some angles you should see it if the screen is off. Not just when you're playing around with the color schemes.

Even without schemes i can see the my battery icon, wifi icon ghosting.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Even without schemes i can see the my battery icon, wifi icon ghosting.

I can't see any "ghosting" or "burn-in" on my 3 month old Note 4 even when I use that blue test screen on high brightness.

I'm not sure what you're seeing but it's not normal.

onyx_riddle

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've only used galaxy phones since I first held an s2... I was so happy to have a powerful device that wasn't made by CrApple. I haven't used anything but a note since the 1st one came out. I'm devout.

However, these phones DO burn in. Very much so. I still have my note 2 and 3. They both have dark areas of the screen. Play a game with a light background.. or read a pdf in full screen mode.
if you spend a lot of time texting, you're gonna see it.

I do use the daydream feature when it's plugged up at night. I'm not so sure it helps but it may. I also use launchers that allow me to operate in landscape mode. The reason I do this is to limit the amount of time my keyboard and status bar are displayed statically.

Last edited:

DanO197

May 16, 2015
Visit site
However, these phones DO burn in. Very much so. I still have my note 2 and 3. They both have dark areas of the screen. Play a game with a light background.. or read a pdf in full screen mode. if you spend a lot of time texting, you're gonna see it.

Oh yea, absolutely right. I've had my Galaxy Note 4 since February 2015, and about 4 weeks ago I thought I started seeing something on my screen, and now I definitely can, no question about it; I have burn in, and its of the text screen - I can see the keys of the texting keyboard and the text windows. Very faint, but getting more prominent with time. This is not the icons at the top, nor at the bottom of the screen; its right smack dab in the middle. Any sort of white screen and I can see it even better.

I've begun talking with the Samsung warranty department, and they have me running the phone in safe mode - I know this wont solve the issue, but the tech said they ask that I do this to eliminate the possibility of third party apps causing the issue. I KNOW its not that, so I'm just putting this out there so if anyone else has this issue, this is what they are gonna ask you to do.

Additionally, the third party apps that help 'fix' burn-in did not work for me, even running them as directed. I tried several kinds out there; none worked.

Note that I'm an older guy, I don't text a lot. I certainly don't leave my phone on overnight with the text app open. I always shut it off. During the day, its on one of my music or movie apps, with random game play and surfing going on, or off....so even though the phone gets warm sometimes (and when it does I run cooler master to shut off the programs), I don't have it on one screen or another too long. Certainly not the text screen. I guess I am one of the very few that this happens to, and just wanted to let you all know it *does* happen. Repeat - burn in does happen on the Galaxy Note 4!

I still love this phone over iPhone, but I never had burn in with that one....I'll report back with more info, but for now my phone is slightly gorked.

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
with the new stupid white bar that comes on with it being fully charged, mine will most likely end up with burn in. been watching for it.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I use a app for a desk clock and alarm every night and I don't have burn in. The clock does rotate through.

Posted via the Android Central App

kkaburi

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Note 4 the day AT&T released it online. In the past month I noticed that there is a significant burn covering more than 60% of the display. There is a line that is clear as day in all colors that starts at the top of the box for texting. The upper 60% of the display is burnt in yellow while the bottom is white. It's been driving me crazy and burn in apps and what not don't do anything.

I have been using Samsung phones since the original Note 1. Had the 2 for several years, passed on the 3 and bought the 4. I do text a lot but I have never once had any form of burn in with any device ever so it's very irritating to have it on my 4. I don't do anything differently than I did on any of my previous phones.

MRMFR

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Burn in is most definitely a problem. I got my Note 4 in October and the screen burn in is quite noticeable. I use the Google Launcher and the WHITE Google search bar on the home screen caused burn in. Not to mention the app icons at the bottom of the screen caused burn in. I suppose my problem is the fact that I got into the habit of leaving my phone/screen on while at work. The burn is constantly noticeable and annoys me. Touting screen resolution, clarity, scratch proof, gorilla glass....blah blah blah is great, but we shouldn't have to worry about leaving our screens on.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I am burned out, but that's really from being a product of the 60s. Teen years then off to southeast Asia for two and a half years in the military. Friends tell me I had a great time. Gotta take their word for it. Lighten up, have a great day. 😎😎😎😎😎

Posted via Android Central App

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Go to play store and download headsoff. Turn heads off for lollipop in settings and that stupid battery charged pop up doesn't exist anymore.

There is a free version and paid version, try the free first to make sure it works. I bought it, best way I could thank the developer for getting rid of that useless battery full pop up.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.jamworks.noheadsup&token=0s1MNzv5
i use a dock for the same reason but the "fully charged" bar stays in the same spot when its lit up

I do too and this is my number one complaint with Lollipop. It lights up the whole room until I swipe it away. :-\

Denise P

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey Dan, Did you get anywheres with samsung? Just wondering because I have the exact same burn in as you. ( a burn in of the text screen) . I also never leave my phone on over night and I don't text much. It was barely noticeable at first but now it has darkened so much its even very visible through photos.

Matt K5

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey Dan, Did you get anywheres with samsung? Just wondering because I have the exact same burn in as you. ( a burn in of the text screen) . I also never leave my phone on over night and I don't text much. It was barely noticeable at first but now it has darkened so much its even very visible through photos.

I'm wondering the same. Got my phone brand new from T-Mobile the end of March 2015. Burnin is horrible , I can see my keyboard and a dark stripe across the middle of my screen with any white background. I tried to call but every time I do i go threw the menu and Samsung hangs up everytime telling me it's busy try your call later.....

DanO197

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey Denise,

Well, I bought my phone through Best Buy, so going to the AT&T store (my carrier) only got me the 'well, did you buy insurance?'...so no help there. Samsung gave me a choice to either mail it in or bring it to one of their repair /customer service facilities. The only one close to me is LA (I'm in San Diego). In either case, there was no guarantee on what would happen; I was told there is a checklist of things they do to see if the problem fixes itself (yes they said that), and one of those steps is to factory-reset it . Now, we all know that turning a phone on and off, turning it on in safe mode, and factory reset wont do anything for burn in, but tier-one techs aren't paid to think. So, either you do it at home before mailing it in, or they do it at the store you bring it to. Either way, you'd better have your Google account set up, and a backup made using the Samsung 'Smart Swtich' software. Important to note that if you do take Samsung up on its warranty (one year from time of purchase) it will be up to them on how to handle the problem. In my case, they said they might try to repair it (!!!), or if they do send another one it might be a refurbished unit as well! Plus, its going to be about a ten day turn around *IF* everything goes well. They didn't use those exact words but I am relaying the jist of the conversation. So, if you go Samsung, the 'free' route, you're gonna be without a phone for 10-14 days with no guarantee of what exactly will happen...so, I decided that that was not an optimal option for me. I have the AT&T insurance plan for my phone, and theirs is VERY liberal. Basically covers everything, including burn-in. I'll have to pay a deductible, split up over several mobile phone payments, but one I invoked the insurance claim, I got a NEW phone in two days, and was able to keep both for 10, so I had time to set everything up on he new one at my own pace. There's several different ways to transfer data over easily, so I was able to get up in running on the new one in a day.

Once burn in appears, there's no fixing it, and it DOES happen to Note 4s when texting, AND it gets progressively worse. If you can do without phone for a couple of weeks, send it to Samsung and take advantage of the free warranty service, if you are within one year of purchase. If you have insurance and cant do without a phone and don't mind paying a deductible, go that route.

A couple of suggestions - don't use the stock messaging app. Use a messaging program where you can change the background. I have no proof of this but I think the yellow-orange-white combination of the stock Samsung messaging app is when helped cause the burn in (that in combination with high heat). I use Textra and changed my background to Black and Dark blue. The keyboard, which was the most prominent thing that you could see on the burned in screen, is now two shades of light gray. Second, make sure your lock screen timer is relatively short, so the phone turns its screen off in like 30 second of you not touching it. Keep track of heat! I use Cooler Master to monitor temp and shut off background apps. Seems to be affective. If at all possible keep the phone on a cool surface or if sitting around in front of a fan! I know that sounds goofy but anything to keep it cool will work. Finally, there's an app called 'screen burn-in tool'. This will NOT fix the burn-in like it claims, but what it can do is show you very clearly the extent of your burn-in and if you have any. The program runs through and displays a series of full-screen colors. You can pause on any color by tapping on the screen. You can then hold the phone at different angles while paused on that color to see how bad it is or if you are developing burn-in.

So, knowing all this I'm going to be very careful with how I use the phone. I'm really hoping it doesn't happen again, as like I said in my earlier post I like the Note 4, and since the Note 5 is basically an IPhone 6, I don't see myself going backward, so I'll have to find a new phone to jump to when the time comes. Let me know what you decide on doing, I'd be interested to hear your experience if you use the Samsung-warranty route.

Have a good one,
~ D

DanO197

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Matt K5

I went through the same difficulties. Jut keep trying, or if you live near one of their repair locations make a visit.

samsungsupport dot com forward slash customerservice for locations

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is usually very good about replacing under-warranty phones with their name on it, whether you bought it from them or not. (I bought mine at Best Buy, but AT&T has replaced it under warranty.)

Bring it to an AT&T Device Support Center (ask at your local store) and see if they'll help you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87