Note 4 burn-in.

DanO197

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to inform you, they aren't/weren't helpful at all. Like I said in my post, above....

....so going to the AT&T store (my carrier) only got me the 'well, did you buy insurance?'

Specifically what happened....I walked into my local AT&T store. I explained the problem and they said 'well you bought it through Best Buy, can you take it back there?' - 'I said, 'I cannot, its past 30 days since I purchased it....', they said ' ohhhh. Lets see...oh you have insurance, just go through them. We can't issue a refund or return since you didn't buy it through us ' and then they handed me the Asurion insurance contact card. Three guys in the store, and they seemed like they did not know how to handle the situation. I wasn't going to stand there and argue. Now, if a 'AT&T Device Support Center' is different than an AT&T Mobile Phone Center, well, I guess I'm s.o.l. but I'll know better next time. Hopefully there wont be one.

lgore930

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
the onlt to fix screen burn is to take it to a shop and get the screen replaced ir something else behind the screen, the screen burn tools only burn another image into the background

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine has the same - a very minor variation in blue. Only visible when running the test app, and barely even then. Been about 8 months for me, so pretty much like every AMOLED I have ever owned, perhaps a bit better. I run my screen for at least 6-7 hours a day most weekdays.

Here's the problem - once those cells are weakened they ain't coming back. They will always be slightly dimmer than when they were new. So a "burn-in" app will simply cycle through colors on a high intensity until the rest of the cells on the screen are as weak as the ones that are dimmed. Overall, you'l notice the specific dim areas less, but only because the rest of your screen is now dimmer overall.

This is the nature of the beast for AMOLED. They burn in. It's how the technology works. They keep getting more durable, but you can't prevent them from burning out over time.

Especially where it isn't visible in daily use, the best policy is to ignore it, and avoid future damage by one of the following:

1. Run your screen less
2. Run your screen dimmer
3. Consider LCD if you are finding that burnout is a worry point

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Burn-in is becoming increasingly visible, to the point where I notice it (just barely) on most bright screens. Then again, I play Ingress, so those of you who play it can guess what is burned in.

Still not to the point where the phone is not usable, nor is it any worse than very mildly annoying. And I use my screen a LOT and my phone is over a year old.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Burn-in is becoming increasingly visible, to the point where I notice it (just barely) on most bright screens. Then again, I play Ingress, so those of you who play it can guess what is burned in.

Still not to the point where the phone is not usable, nor is it any worse than very mildly annoying. And I use my screen a LOT and my phone is over a year old.
Good ole ingress. Burned my screen on my Note 2. Learned my lesson on my Note 4 by occasionally playing the game full screen and switching to minimized screen. Had my phone for over a year and no OPS/COMM burn in.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Good ole ingress. Burned my screen on my Note 2. Learned my lesson on my Note 4 by occasionally playing the game full screen and switching to minimized screen. Had my phone for over a year and no OPS/COMM burn in.

I had not thought of doing the half-screen thing with Ingress. Hmmm... THANKS!

Lani Mirc

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I've had the Note 2, 3 and so far, two Note 4 Edges and both of the Edges have had burn in badly. The first one got it after maybe 6 months and unfortunately, it was the complete home screen of Clash of Clans so I constantly saw my village at that stage forever in the background. I took it to the AT&T store only to be told it was MY FAULT for not changing screens often enough. That initial phone gave me tons of issues with the hardware and software so inevitably I filed an insurance claim for a replacement. At the time they were trying to give me a Note 5 regular, and although it was a slight upgrade, I wanted and appreciated my curved screen enough to throw a fit to get back another Note 4 Edge (even though they could only supply me with the charcoal version instead of the white I had and wanted). Only 3 months after having the new one, I have now discovered burn in again. This time, I DID change the screen often, almost OCD religiously to avoid that from happening again and yet it did. I don't think there's anything you CAN do to avoid it. I think it's a crap down side and a HUGE one to having the AMOLED display. Personally I'm furious. I'm so sick and tired of shelling out a grand every two years for the newest phone only to see I'm stuck with some horrible issue or badly outdated software because I'm the last to ever get an update. I'm personally disgusted with the level of customer service and care I've received from Samsung when I've asked them for help and although I absolutely love having a stylus with the Note series... I might just be changing from Samsung after this.