Friends iphone 6 plus lasting much longer than my Note 4

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
My friends iphone is lasting him like 4 days, my note 4 makes it through a day fine, but no more than that. Recently I've only been able to get around 4 hours of screen time. He left his phone on all day (screen timeout turned off) yesterday and he went home with 20% battery after 11 hours!

I've tried pretty much every battery suggestion out there, I've wiped cache turned off bt, wifi, nfc, location. These have some affect but my battery still isn't lasting anywhere close to his. I've turned ok google detection on and off, no affect. Also turned off Google Now completely and it didn't do much.

Anything else I can try/do?

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i'm surprised to hear his phone last that many days. Most people that i read about iphone plus barely gets 2 days? Well the most i've ever gotten with my Note 4 is 2 days i haven't been able to manage to get it more than that and i'm a moderate user. But i'm sure if i turn off my wifi, bluetooth i can push it to go further.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I doubt he got 11 hours of Screen Time. I have a Note 4 and an iPhone 6 + and there is no way the 6+ can hit 11 hours screen on time and have 20% left. The different in iOS and Android is that "Usage" on iPhone doesn't relate to Screen On time entirely -- whereas Android has a dedication section on the battery stats just for Screen On time.

The iPhone 6+ can last nearly as long as my Note 4 .. But .. At the end of the day it depends what you do on it. Such as I can take my Note 4 .. or 6+ .. down to half in 2-3 hours time. 97% brightness -- streaming on LTE (HD Video) -- will kill any battery. So it depends on what tasks he is doing .. and what you're doing. I get around 4-5 hours on average with my Note 4 if I am not sitting there streaming actual video on it. So do you know what he does versus what you do?

An example of my 6+ (since I have it today) is shown below.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 260

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Average total screen-on time for most Android devices in real-world usage will be 4-5 hours per battery charge. Don't spend too much time directly comparing this with the iPhone--they're completely different systems, and iPhones have the advantage of having everything optimized for one device (as opposed to the multitude of hardware designed for Android). I could rattle off the many advantages of Android over iOS that are important to me, but that's not your question.

Here are a few other tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Average total screen-on time for most Android devices in real-world usage will be 4-5 hours per battery charge. Don't spend too much time directly comparing this with the iPhone--they're completely different systems, and iPhones have the advantage of having everything optimized for one device (as opposed to the multitude of hardware designed for Android). I could rattle off the many advantages of Android over iOS that are important to me, but that's not your question.

Here are a few other tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

Also iOS doesn't show true "Screen-on Time" like Android does ^_^.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Anything else I can try/do?

Get an iPhone.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the huge slab of AMOLED display on the Note 4 sucks a bit more battery than the iPhone 6 battery.
If that screen on time is important to you, then switch.

I get through a day with about 60% remaining battery on my N4, BTW.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have both the note 4 and an iphone 6 plus and however the battery life is better on the iphone than the 4 I've never been able to get more the 18 hours or so out of the iphone where as i get about 14 hours out of the note both with heavy use.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used both the 6p and Note 4. For basic tasks like email, browsing, messaging, forums, and other tasks that don't use much cpu power, both devices are pretty similar in terms of SOT. The iPhone might have a 10-15% advantage, but not a huge difference. the 6p will get much better idle though. But assuming that you charge daily, the difference won't be huge overall.

Now in more demanding applications like navigation , the note 4 will drain substantially faster than the 6p.

To the op, try to switch phones with him to see how it works for your specific tasks,for a week. Perhaps his usage is different than yours.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
He gets 4 days if he does nothing with the phone, but what is the point of that?? I never understand peoples' obsession with a phone lasting 2-3 days. If you could constantly use your phone and it lasted 2-3 days, that would be great. To just get another day of standby makes 0 sense to me. Plug the phone in when in needs to be charged and be done with it or... buy another battery and just swap it out if you need to.

ohbreeeezy

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Get some of these and BAM! instant 100% battery.
n4batt-2.jpg

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow guys thanks for all the responses. I kinda figured something was fishy. I do know I use my phone a lot more than he does, but my standby time is still pretty lousy vs his.

And warwig, no way I'd actually switch, I was just thinking I must have been doing something wrong.

Last edited:

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually did! I bought the anker one that comes w the charger and 2 batteries. I don't notice a difference in their batteries vs the samsung one.

This is also the reason I'm not considering the S6...no removable battery...wtf!!

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Make sure to uncheck wifi scanning under advanced wifi settings, silent batter killer

Posted via the Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
does iPhone actually have a sot data? Unless you stared at the screen for 11 hrs, there is no way to prove it.

for longer battery-on-charge, turn off sync, turn off data when not in use, AND clear running apps here and there, if you have a app or service stuck in the background, it will kill the battery.

4 day is surely doable. I just charged my note 3 this am, last time I charged it, it was 3 days ago, and I only charged it to 85% last time. With a full charge, and above mentioned things, I am sure Note 4 can last 4 days with light use (1-2 hr usage per day).

Screenshot_2015-03-14-06-09-22-1.jpg

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
How in the hell is he getting 4 days !? I can get about a day & half tops on my iPhone. With my Note 4 easily the same.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6+ 

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Whats the problem then? If it's lasting you all day just charge it while you sleep and stop worrying about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The problem is that sometimes I'm in the field for a few days at a time and while finding a place to charge is possible, it can be inconvenient.

I have the wifi scanner off. I guess it's lasting as long as it should. I saw the SOT tests that talked about 9-10 hours and thought I should be getting closer to that then 5ish.

Thanks all

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that sometimes I'm in the field for a few days at a time and while finding a place to charge is possible, it can be inconvenient.

I have the wifi scanner off. I guess it's lasting as long as it should. I saw the SOT tests that talked about 9-10 hours and thought I should be getting closer to that then 5ish.

Thanks all

For in the field, a spare battery or two would seem to be a help (why I have one).