Why can't I uninstall Facebook messenger from my Galaxy Note 4?

A

AC Question

Why can't I uninstall facebook messenger from my galaxy note 4

Everytime I uninstall facebook messenger it says open or update it will dowloader it again without me doing it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why can't I uninstall facebook messenger from my galaxy note 4

Welcome to Android Central! How are you trying to uninstall it? From the Google Play Store app page? From the App Manager? From the App Drawer?

I usually do it from the Play Store app page.

AD0529

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to completely remove FB Messenger? As mentioned in the original post, I "uninstall" it via the Play store. When done, it shows options for "Open" or "Update". It appears when theres an update to this app, it gets reinstalled. Its a MASSIVE battery drain and appears to still be draining the battery even though its uninstalled so I want it completely gone. :/

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If it cannot be uninstalled, it is part of the "bloatware" that came on your firmware. You won't be able to uninstall it unless you gain "root" access to your phone. It's just as effective and far less risky to just disable the app.

What you do want to do is:

1. Uninstall all updates to it (so you are back to running the old version that is on your firmware image)
2. Go into Settings / Applications / Application Management, find the Facebook app, and do the following:
- CLEAR DATA
- FORCE STOP
- DISABLE

That will keep the Play Store from trying to update it, and keep it from being able to run at all. It's just as good as uninstalling it, without the risk of rooting your phone and trying to rip it out manually. The software is still present on the firmware image of your phone, but it is not allowed to run.