My lock screen is timing out too fast, how can I extend this?

A

AC Question

lock screen timing out too fast.

Samsung Note 4, recently upgraded to lollipop

Two problems. First, when my phone is locked, I do not have enough time to enter in my back up password. Power saving features are turned off. Smart stay is turned on. No new apps added recently that might impact that. (No new apps that I remember since Lollipop installed)

Second, when I am in my phone and pull down the notification bar, within a couple of seconds the screen goes black, and I am locked out of the phone and have to sign in again. This is occurs every time I take a bit too long to look at my notifications. If I just glance and minimize it, no problems

Both of these problems are new since Lollipop.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I use a password for my lockscreen and if I am delayed entering any of the characters for more than about a second or two, the screen goes dark and I have to start over again. It's a HUGE pain in the shorts if I'm using a "handwriting" type keyboard, which I have come to prefer. Fortunately I can switch to a regular keyboard on the fly, but it's a matter of tapping the keyboard selection button, selecting the new keyboard, then screen times out while the new keyboard is loading up, then entering the password.

Not a fatal flaw, but I can easily imagine someone with even the slightest dexterity issues being completely unable to unlock their phone in a hurry.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: lock screen timing out too fast.

Try Settings>Lock Screen>Lock automatically which will bring up a window with time delay options. Click on your choice of from Immediately to 30 minutes.

Joe Nunya

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Try Settings>Lock Screen>Lock automatically which will bring up a window with time delay options. Click on your choice of from Immediately to 30 minutes.

There is no such thing.
There is setting sunder "secured Lock Time" that goes from 15 seconds to 1 hour but that is only the duration of how long you can go before you actually have to use whatever method you chose as a "lock", mine of finger print.
I have it set for 15 minutes so that I can just swipe if its been less than 15 minutes.

I and the OP are concerned with how long the lock screeen itself stays visible which for me is about 5 seconds, I would prefer it to last about 15 seconds or longer.
Its pretty ridiculous to have it last only 5 seconds, but it was the same way in KitKat, no change with Lollipop for me.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

There is no such thing.
There is setting sunder "secured Lock Time" that goes from 15 seconds to 1 hour but that is only the duration of how long you can go before you actually have to use whatever method you chose as a "lock", mine of finger print.
I have it set for 15 minutes so that I can just swipe if its been less than 15 minutes.

I and the OP are concerned with how long the lock screeen itself stays visible which for me is about 5 seconds, I would prefer it to last about 15 seconds or longer.
Its pretty ridiculous to have it last only 5 seconds, but it was the same way in KitKat, no change with Lollipop for me.

On my Verizon Note 4 running the OTA Android 5.0.1 after following my above instructions I get this window.
View attachment 174309

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

Mine goes off quickly too. I just have it set to swipe but I barely have time to look at the screen before it goes black again. I am on ATT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

That's odd. My lock screen stays on for 2 minutes before it goes off. My screen is set to auto lock after 5 minutes of inactivity.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

I do not have these options in settings, how bizarre

dreaming of electric sheep

irobbie

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Same here, after upgrade to 5.0.1 (Att) Galaxy S4
Tried to:
-change lock time
-removed battery and waited 10 minutes
-wiped cache
This problem still occurs!
Only lock screen blanks in 1 second!

Edit
I turned off Power saver and I gained few more seconds.
I have a second galaxy (this one was mi wife's) and I have not this issue even with Power saver on.

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

The "Lock Automatically" doesn't have anything to do with the time-out of the lock screen. It determines to the amount of time the phone waits before it locks the screen after the display automatically turns off. There appears to be no setting to change the lock screen time-out itself... at least not on Verizon. It's curious that people's lock screens time-out differently. Mine takes approx 8 seconds. I wonder if it's a LP issue?

Those having trouble might have to do a factory reset (Heaven only knows if it'll work), but we all know what that means... back up data first!

virusnorris

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like to also find a solution for this issue. I have a Samsung Tab A. When it is first powered on, by the time it loads the user interface and presents the text area in which to enter a password, it has already timed out. I mean, you literally cannot not enter it on the first attempt as it times out before the device has allowed itself time to process everything. Just retarded. Wish it wasn't so.

TRFS

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I do not have these options in settings, how bizarre

It seems to depend on what you currently have selected as your lock screen method; if you've got swipe or none chosen, the timeout length won't appear. I had swipe chosen (don't take it out of the house),so even though the screen was timing out before I could swipe, I couldn't change the setting. I went to the lock screen setting, switched to Pin, changed the timeout seeing to a minute, then changed back to swipe. My lock screen now behaves much better. .. ☺

BTW, I'm on a galaxy tab pro 12.2 tablet, wifi only, no carrier, Lollipop 5.1.1.

MKLKT

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

I had this when I first got my Note 4 (and then updated to Lollipop), I figured out that it what was actually happening is that the lock overlay/settings pull-down was crashing after a few seconds. I ended up doing a factory restore and it worked fine after that.

Bgp5891

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

Changing my touch key light duration from 1.5 seconds to 6 seconds did the trick for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty