NOTE 4 or S6

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It isn't subpar material or basic plastic. It is polycarbonate, you know the plastic they make bullet resistant glass for banks etc, out of?

Polycarbonate is ANYTHING but subpar and Samsung knows this, I've had this discussion with Samsung. They are giving into uninformed masses that want an iPhone running Android.

Nothing looks better than the back glass of a phone all cracked and aluminum all scratched and dented..amirite?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I read a report the other day, I don't remember the source, but it said that Samsung was NOT ditching the removable battery and sd card on the Note 5. It is not intended for the same crowd as the S series.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge vs Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I have a s6 edge, but I will only compare non edge features.

S6 pro
-camera quality in low light is a little better.
-camera opens very quickly. Under a second. Note 4 takes sometimes 5 seconds
-camera can be set to open with double click.Note 4 requires turning on screen then swiping the camera icon to open
-s6 file system is fast.
-offers 128gb internal option (internal is way faster than sd card, and more reliable)
-wireless charging built in. Note 4 requires bulky back or hack or third party coil.
-s6 maximum brightness is 611 nits. Note 4 is 462 nits.
-25% lighter and 18% thinner
-touch fingerprint scanner vs swipe in the note 4. My experience is that the s6 works much better.
-Samsung pay

Note 4 pro
-battery life is better. In my usage about 10-20% better.
-Sd card option
-plastic back which allows for removable battery, s6 has glass back, so no removable battery
-s-pen and related features
-larger screen

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
This is one of the many sites. Samsung is trying to get away from subpar material. No plastic. She will be a beast though. http://galaxynote5.com/

Posted via the Android Central App

Will of they keep the expandable storage then I'll be OK with that. Would be nice to have wireless charging in from the start as I have added that to my Note4.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

thatdude93

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps a wise choice. You have the Note 4 now?

For me, starting tomorrow, I will return my gold S6 Edge that I have since 4/16/15, and revert to my Note 4. The S6 Edge is by far the best looking phone I have ever owned, but nothing beats the Note 4!!! You can do so much more with it. I love the functionality and versatility, no other phone comes close. If you have the patience and time for the big learning curve, get the Note 4. If you want something goodlooking and more user friendly out of the box, get the S6 or S6 Edge. I can't wait for the Note 5 come November.
Yes i have the note 4. Right now the only thing stopping me from getting it is the screen size of the s6, thats why i decided fo wait for the note 5.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm done with smaller phones. LG, Motorola, the Note 4 iPhone 6 plus have all shown that bigger phones are the future. The M9 and S6 just feel like kids toys compered to the above mentioned big dogs.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
May be from Phil's prediction here: :) "From the Editor's Desk: Some spring predictions"

"If you've just got to have a removable battery and microSD card, Samsung will continue to offer them ... in the Galaxy Note. The Galaxy S line will continue to be the sleek smartphone, and the Note will be the workhorse."

I think that's correct as Samsung knows the Note line is much more a productivity device and appeals to power users who tend to look for (and expect) feature options such as a user-replaceable battery and external storage. Whereas the S line is a mainstream flagship for the masses who don't necessarily care about those features or are willing to forgo them for a sleeker design (form over function).

Or here: from a Trusted Reviews article

Excerpt:
"Although Samsung will continue this push for a premium look and feel with the Note 5, those hoping for a fully metal handset look set to miss out. According to Samsung’s designers, the Note 4 omitted a full metal body over fears the handset would be too ‘hard and cold’.

“The designers have been aware of people’s desire for a metal frame. However, using metal material just for the sake of using it didn’t make much sense,” one of Samsung’s lead designers said via an official company blog post.

They added: “One thing the designers did not want to do was to use metal and give out the sense that the device is too hard and cold.

“The soft cover allows the user to change batteries, which is also a big part of the user experience of the Galaxy Note 4
.”"

Yes, That is it.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Note 4 in very bright light with "auto brightness" set ON is 750 nits; not the nits mentioned a few posts up...

"When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note 4 reaches an impressive 750 cd/m2 in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 4 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 100 to156, the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for measurements and details."

from http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm#Brightness_Contrast

that's from Displaymate. I have seen both the s6 and n4 with auto brightness ON and the N4 blows it out of the water under very bright ambient light. there is no contest when it comes to brightness.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S6 reaches an impressive 784 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy S6 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 118 to170, also the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for measurements and details.

Also from displaymate.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm

So actually S6 is the brightest and highest density. Not to take anything away from the Note. It's a great device.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned, it really all depends on whats important to You in a phone? I personally use the Note 4, ( also had a Note 2, which is still in perfect condition) so my opinion will be bias as I love the size of the phone, Spen is very important to me as it is not just a plain old stylus, it has tremendous function and options. I agree that Re-movable Battery and SD card need to be present!!! LOVE my Note 4!

My daughter was just due for an upgrade and was going from an S3 or 4........she was all about getting the S6 or Note 4 and the guy in the VZW store was really pushing her to get the S6 beside the fact that they were on back order and didn't even have them in stock! Based on all she told me, this guy didn't know what he was talking about, he told her the battery on the S6 was waaay better than the Note 4 and that an embedded battery was so much better for the phone!.....blah blah blah......she ended up getting the Note 4 based on my recommendation and he even told her it had Lollipop on it already!!! False.....I had her check the setting and it was 4.4.4

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S6 reaches an impressive 784 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested.

Holy cow. I didn't think a screen could GET brighter than the Note 4 in what I call "direct sunlight mode". The Note 4 is astoundingly retina-searing bright. The colors get washed out to ridiculousness, but you can see everything very clearly. Glad to see they carried that forward and even improved it in the S6.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S6 reaches an impressive 784 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy S6 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 118 to170, also the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for measurements and details.

Also from displaymate.

Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

So actually S6 is the brightest and highest density. Not to take anything away from the Note. It's a great device.

A salesman at the Verizon store, and myself, put a bright LED lamp in front of the S6. Neither of us could drive it to a very bright condition like the Note 4 so I'm not sure how those figures could be correct. I'm not arguing mind you--I am reporting that it was impossible for either me or the salesman to get the S6 to provide a super bright screen and it was set to "auto". I have so far read, on line, THREE different nit values for the S6's max brightness and therefore I don't know what to believe other than my own eyes. I would LOVE to see you or someone have both phones side by side and photographed when both are running max brightness.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Holy cow. I didn't think a screen could GET brighter than the Note 4 in what I call "direct sunlight mode". The Note 4 is astoundingly retina-searing bright. The colors get washed out to ridiculousness, but you can see everything very clearly. Glad to see they carried that forward and even improved it in the S6.

Please let me know if you can confirm with your own eyes, that the S6 really is as bright by direct comparison with a N4 running side by side.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a downgrade to me, The S6 is a nice phone but not worth coming from a Note 4. You will hate the smaller screen no removable battery or SD card support. The Note 5 is roughly 4 months out from being announced so I would wait.

xcalibur1011

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded from the LG G2 to the Note 4, but I also was considering getting the S6 Edge. The S6 was sold out and I opted for the Note. I'm glad I went that route, I love the battery life and screen size; as well the S pen features. I'll probably end up getting the Note 5 in several months.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a downgrade to me, The S6 is a nice phone but not worth coming from a Note 4. You will hate the smaller screen no removable battery or SD card support. The Note 5 is roughly 4 months out from being announced so I would wait.

No offense intended, but not everyone wants to tote a dvd player around. The s6 is superior spec wise and has better build quality. Most beautiful device I've owned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non