07-09-2015 07:57 PM
111 1234 ...
tools
    It's coming soon.
    If it's a 1 time fee I won't mind going ad free but if it's like Handcent where it's a monthly subscription I'll be losing Textra as well.
    Agreed. I've tried handcent and chompsms, I think they both have ads, hence I chose Textra.
    04-29-2015 04:56 PM
    I tried hangouts and can't get pics to send. Anyone know how to fix it?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-29-2015 05:12 PM
    Zipwhip. Primarily so I can txt from my PC.
    04-29-2015 05:52 PM
    Hangouts. I even made my friends who are iPhone users get it so they could talk to me

04-29-2015 06:21 PM
    Hangouts. I even made my friends who are iPhone users get it so they could talk to me

Do u have issues sending pics through hangout?

04-29-2015 06:31 PM
    Was using stock but after 640 characters it converts to mms, so switched to google messenger so far so good although miss being able to schedule when my messages where sent.

Sorry, I don't know a lot about this but trying to learn. Why is it bad that it converts to MMS? (I thought MMS was just for when you attached a photo.) Does that have any impact on how the text is sent or received? Or does it create a delay of some sort?
    04-29-2015 07:52 PM
    Hoverchat here. Love it
    04-29-2015 10:29 PM
    I'm still deciding if I want to pay for ad free textra or switch to something else. I dig the dark theme on it, and use a dark themed SwiftKey keyboard so I like having the dark simple interface. I'm sure other apps would allow it, but I like Textra all around really. I think when I got the notification for textra charging for a pro version it was only a couple bucks for an annual subscription which doesn't seem bad tbh. Sucks they're charging after all this time but if it's minimal it's no biggie to me tbh
    04-30-2015 10:34 AM
    I use the Samsung stock messaging app. It works, it is easy to learn and to use, the orange color is perfect, and I don't need to load yet another app onto my phone.
    04-30-2015 10:46 AM
    Textra, just paid for the Pro version, it is one time fee and only 87 cent . Enjoyed it free for 3 years so time to dev to make some money on his/her hard work.

04-30-2015 02:40 PM
    Just started getting ads in Textra just a few moments ago actually.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    04-30-2015 02:46 PM
    Textra, just paid for the Pro version, it is one time fee and only 87 cent . Enjoyed it free for 3 years so time to dev to make some money on his/her hard work.
    The developer got greedy. He/She whoever already charges for another texting app. Just Textra got more popular so the developer decided to milk more money out of a free app.

Just started getting ads in Textra just a few moments ago actually.
    I also refuse to use a app that now has annoying ads. Ads in a texting app makes no sense like video ads in a radio app. Stupid and pointless and all it does is waste your data cap on mobile.

Heck at least there are alternatives and Messenger looks promising. I already showed my parents and they like it so far.
    04-30-2015 03:36 PM
    I've switched to Textra after years of using Handcent.
    When I was on Verizon I used Verizon Messages. It's a dandy thing to be able to use that app on tablets or desktop and have phone texts come to them real time.
    Oh my gosh I did not know that! I could hug you! I just switched to Verizon and love the messaging app. Like to use only my tablet in the hot tub. Been missing being able to receive my texts on the tablet. Thank you!
    mountainbikermark likes this.
    04-30-2015 04:02 PM
    The developer got greedy. He/She whoever already charges for another texting app. Just Textra got more popular so the developer decided to milk more money out of a free app.

I also refuse to use a app that now has annoying ads. Ads in a texting app makes no sense like video ads in a radio app. Stupid and pointless and all it does is waste your data cap on mobile.

Heck at least there are alternatives and Messenger looks promising. I already showed my parents and they like it so far.
    How quickly we feel entitled to benefit from these developers work for free. You can continue to enjoy Textra for free, albeit with ads. I don't understand begrudging such a small amount (less than $1) as a one-time thank you for an app you find useful. I wouldn't give up an app that I liked and worked well on my phone just to avoid paying a small fee. I think it's wonderful that we can download free or low-cost apps from the Play Store on as many devices as we want, also. After paying a large amount for a phone, I'm willing to spend a few dollars to have it equipped with the apps I like the best. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that I think people that not only develop but maintain their apps SHOULD receive some remuneration. JMHO.
    04-30-2015 07:42 PM
    How quickly we feel entitled to benefit from these developers work for free. You can continue to enjoy Textra for free, albeit with ads. I don't understand begrudging such a small amount (less than $1) as a one-time thank you for an app you find useful. I wouldn't give up an app that I liked and worked well on my phone just to avoid paying a small fee. I think it's wonderful that we can download free or low-cost apps from the Play Store on as many devices as we want, also. After paying a large amount for a phone, I'm willing to spend a few dollars to have it equipped with the apps I like the best. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that I think people that not only develop but maintain their apps SHOULD receive some remuneration. JMHO.
    I paid the .99 for pro on Textra. My problem and why I did not going pro with Handcent was the app is full of bloat, works hit and miss for mms for me and they wanted a monthly subscription. Yes it'll do more if I'm interested in Handcent online services but I'm not.
    Almost every app I have that offers a paid version I have the paid, whether it has ads or not, whether the paid gives extras over the freebie or not. Speedtest is the only one I haven't upgraded to yet.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    ehstaley likes this.
    04-30-2015 07:55 PM
    Almost every app I have that offers a paid version I have the paid, whether it has ads or not, whether the paid gives extras over the freebie or not.

Yes, I do the same. In addition to the reasons I outlined in my earlier post, I think doing so also may help to perpetuate the current system where very modest sums are requested or suggested for an app. If too many people ignore this request, we could conceivably see the costs go up or perhaps they would somehow restrict the use of an app to just one device and we'd have to pay for it over and over again (i.e., Windows computer software) for each new phone or added device. I probably would not download any app that required a monthly fee, unless I found it extremely useful.
    04-30-2015 08:01 PM
    I'm using the stock messenger. Why had another app?
    04-30-2015 08:06 PM
    I was an exclusive Hangouts user then switched to the stock app on my M8. Using the stock app on my Note 4 as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    04-30-2015 09:10 PM
    Switched from Textra to Google Messages this week. I think I wouldn't mind paying for Textra of the ride to present day didn't feel like a bumpy downward slope. Several updates back the application got sluggish and the camera functionality changed a little. Messages isn't much better the camera department but it's faster for sure.
    04-30-2015 10:29 PM
    I've switched over to the stock app from the Verizon app for the last day or so. It's good as well. Not sure I really have a preference. I'll try some of the others mentioned as well.

Sent from my Note 4
    05-01-2015 07:13 AM
    i've been using textra but not sure how i feel about them putting ads in soon unless you pay. i may switch to something else, i downloaded evolve and it looks okay but looks like you can't change the theme on it without paying? haven't played with it too much, but seems okay. i think i like textra the best, though, so i may just pay for it.
    Yea I've been using textra faithfully. I just went on and paid the .99 cuz its the only texting app that I've never had a problem with. I used to use handcent but I have no idea what they have going on. It just seems like with every update that app gets worse.
    ehstaley, klau25 and oldschoolsig like this.
    05-01-2015 07:29 AM
    Why am I not getting any ads from Textra?
    Not yet but you will. Pyo version is only .99 cent. I will gladly pay a $1 to continue to have a problem free app.
    oldschoolsig likes this.
    05-01-2015 07:33 AM
    I also back and forth on verizon/stock. But, on my tab s the verizon app gives me text access on tab. When I use stock on phone, incoming texts still sync (but sadly outgoing ones from no phone do not) therefore verizon on phone it is.
    05-01-2015 07:40 AM
    Google messenger, i didn't like hangouts or stock, had handcent but they are advertising now and it's annoying, try Google messenger.
    05-01-2015 09:08 AM
    Just got my Textra ad-free trial is over message. Goodbye Textra. Suggestions? Think stock.

tonyr6 likes this.
    05-01-2015 09:36 AM
111 1234 ...