What app do you use for messages?

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Happening same here, ads are back again.
What email address you sent the query to? Interesting thing is seems like price has gone up, yesterday I paid .87 cent and today showing 1.08€.

Sent the email using that app.

Posted via the Android Central App

If you go into the setting in the app there is a contact us link. I clicked it

Slantize

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Can't you just pay $1 for the paid version?

it's not about affording an $1 purchase, rather that there are other full-featured alternatives available for free. i'm not a big fan of paying for apps because they often get abandoned and turn to crap anyway.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Using the stock app for now on my G3. I really like the Google messenger app but it doesn't give you slot of attachment options.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
it's not about affording an $1 purchase, rather that there are other full-featured alternatives available for free. i'm not a big fan of paying for apps because they often get abandoned and turn to crap anyway.
The nice thing about Textra, and others, is the choice. Free with ads, not free to remove them. Either way the developer gets paid, an incentive to continue to keep active updates and what not.
I agree, it's very frustrating to pay for an app only to have Android fragmentation rear its ugly head and the developer took the money and ran, abandoning the app that is in need of fixing because of some trivial code error in carrier or manufacturer bloatware.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site

What are you planning to use now?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
T.
I agree, it's very frustrating to pay for an app only to have Android fragmentation rear its ugly head and the developer took the money and ran, abandoning the app that is in need of fixing because of some trivial code error in carrier or manufacturer bloatware.
I never encounter that with a paid app but I had some free apps that have become abandomware.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I never encounter that with a paid app but I had some free apps that have become abandomware.
Ultra Keyboard is one that came to mind for me. It's been a couple of years ago that I last tried it.
I still use Alarm Clock+ and Multiple Picture Live Wallpaper that are, as you call them, abandonware that I paid for but they have been flawless without updates through several firmware updates, device changes and carrier switching. Just working is most important to me. Handcent kept getting buggy in update, fix in follow up but add more bloat also, I've only been using Textra a few weeks but I looked at Play user reviews going way back before buying.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Was an exclusive Hangouts user but one day switched back to the stock app on my M8 and now on my Note!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

JaceKG

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Stock Message App. Why change when it does what it says on the tin. I came from s4 to note 4 and can put up with colours etc. What do others offer far greater than the stock message app

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Stock Message App. Why change when it does what it says on the tin. I came from s4 to note 4 and can put up with colours etc. What do others offer far greater than the stock message app

Stock doesn't play well with long sms thread, it is slow as hell, i have over 25k msg, imported from iphone and stock and messenger takes up to minute to open some conversation while textra does it in less than a sec.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
How quickly we feel entitled to benefit from these developers work for free. You can continue to enjoy Textra for free, albeit with ads. I don't understand begrudging such a small amount (less than $1) as a one-time thank you for an app you find useful. I wouldn't give up an app that I liked and worked well on my phone just to avoid paying a small fee. I think it's wonderful that we can download free or low-cost apps from the Play Store on as many devices as we want, also. After paying a large amount for a phone, I'm willing to spend a few dollars to have it equipped with the apps I like the best. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that I think people that not only develop but maintain their apps SHOULD receive some remuneration. JMHO.

Well said. I completely agree.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Was an exclusive Hangouts user but one day switched back to the stock app on my M8 and now on my Note!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

I tried Hangouts and liked it until I tried to send a pic and it wouldn't send. How do I get them to send?

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm just curious how many people use the stock messaging app vs hangouts or something else. I'm on verizon and have their messaging app that backs up, is fairly customizable and is actually pretty nice. I've been trying that one for the last few days. Not sure what I'm going to stick with though.

Sent from my Note 4
Used/tried the stock Samsung Messaging and now on the Hangouts since for some reason that's the only way I can communicate with my workmates who use iOS. Interestingly enough they don't receive my texts when I'm using Samsung's. Maybe my settings? I'll have to try VzW since that's my carrier.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Used/tried the stock Samsung Messaging and now on the Hangouts since for some reason that's the only way I can communicate with my workmates who use iOS. Interestingly enough they don't receive my texts when I'm using Samsung's. Maybe my settings? I'll have to try VzW since that's my carrier.

It's probably not your settings it's their settings. Did you have an iPhone prior to this phone?

Sent from my Note 4

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
It's probably not your settings it's their settings. Did you have an iPhone prior to this phone?

Sent from my Note 4
Yes on the iPhone. But now in Hangouts SMS/MMS goes two ways with the exception that there's a delay(?) when receiving, sometimes into the minutes. Kind of like a delayed reaction to a joke: "Ah, now I get it! Ha ha ha ha ha. . ." But the moment has already passed.

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm fascinated by what I've learned of handcent in this thread. I've used handcent for at least 3-4 years, have never had ads, and to this day have still never seen an ad. However, I am running a Note 2 still on 4.1.1 and I haven't updated handcent in over 1 1/2 years haha. So I guess that's the secret, don't update OS or the app and things act as they always did hah.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm fascinated by what I've learned of handcent in this thread. I've used handcent for at least 3-4 years, have never had ads, and to this day have still never seen an ad. However, I am running a Note 2 still on 4.1.1 and I haven't updated handcent in over 1 1/2 years haha. So I guess that's the secret, don't update OS or the app and things act as they always did hah.
Yes it was the last update that added ads that look like an unread conversation on the main screen. Before that they were tiny ones at the bottom of the page, don't remember when that was added but it's been a while.
My biggest gripe wasn't the ads but all the bloat. Ads as conversations just made me finally look elsewhere , sort of a last straw.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332