What app do you use for messages?

Robert Griffith

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Been using Textra for a year or so and I've tried a few others, messenger, hangouts, etc...but always go back. I support apps that I use often and don't mind one single bit that I paid a whole .99 cents to get rid of ads.

Posted via the Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
If there is both a free and paid version for an app, I will always buy the paid version, even if there aren't any ads on the free one (once I've had a chance to evaluate the app). It's just a dollar or two to express appreciation and, hopefully, the developer will continue to support the app. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Used/tried the stock Samsung Messaging and now on the Hangouts since for some reason that's the only way I can communicate with my workmates who use iOS. Interestingly enough they don't receive my texts when I'm using Samsung's. Maybe my settings? I'll have to try VzW since that's my carrier.

Since you came from an iphone you will need to call Apple customer service to get this problem fixed. Once Apple releases your number from imessage then you'll be able to use the stock app.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about the stock messages app is the lack of a sent message sound. I really like to have that. Or have I overlooked that setting somewhere? Currently using Google Messenger.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I like the "raise phone to ear and call" feature that the Stock Messages app has. Think its been in TouchWiz since maybe the S3 days?

Makes it super easy to transition from a text conversation to a voice one. When in the Stock Messages app, just raise the phone to your ear and the person you've been texting with will be called.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I like the "raise phone to ear and call" feature that the Stock Messages app has. Think its been in TouchWiz since maybe the S3 days?

Make is super easy to transition from a text conversation to a voice one. When in the Stock Messages app, just raise the phone to your ear and the person you've been texting with will be called.
That's kinda neat.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Old Guy 59

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Used Textra and recently changed to Verizon's Messages+.
If I didn't have Verizon I would definitely go back to Textra. Liked it so much that I paid a buck in appreciation of all the use I got out of it and to make sure it was still around if I ever change carriers or decide to go back.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I and my parents went back to Textra and each paid the $1. Messenger is terrible as text messages were not going though. My mother text someone that she buys from which never got the message after she called him saying that he text her back but she never got it. Then she text her friend in Florida but never got a response as the message most likely never went though. She said she wanted to go back to Textra. My mother said she would pay the $2 for both phones a month and I said that it was only a one time $1 per device purchase and she said that it is. So she paid it and my fathers phone she will pay tonight and I also payed the $1 too.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Mighty Text is a free app and you can use any text app and still send and receive messages through the desktop. It comes with a Chrome button for the desktop also.

FSU30

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Using the stock app for now on my G3. I really like the Google messenger app but it doesn't give you slot of attachment options.

I'm telling you....give VZW Messages a try. You'll really like the attachment capabilities! :)

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I and my parents went back to Textra and each paid the $1. Messenger is terrible as text messages were not going though. My mother text someone that she buys from which never got the message after she called him saying that he text her back but she never got it. Then she text her friend in Florida but never got a response as the message most likely never went though. She said she wanted to go back to Textra. My mother said she would pay the $2 for both phones a month and I said that it was only a one time $1 per device purchase and she said that it is. So she paid it and my fathers phone she will pay tonight and I also payed the $1 too.

Did the ad really went away when you paid the $1?

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I used Handcent for a few years until lately I was getting texts from companies advertising, so I uninstalled it back to stock message app, it's fine, you can still have different text tones for each contact using mp3's etc just by adding items to notifications/media folder, which is ok for me.