Recommended Screen Protector

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a screen protector for my Note 4. I had an off and on relationship with my S-View case for my S5, so I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again. I really loved that it offered total screen protection, but sometimes the cover was inconvenient, especially if I was trying to use the phone 1 handed.

For now, I'm just using a basic shell case and want to add some protection to the screen so that it doesn't get scratched by my keys or lighter when I carry it in my pocket. So what's the preferred screen protector? I tried a Zagg (I think that was it) for my Note 8.0 tablet, but I found that it interfered a little bit with the S-Pen, so I took it off after a week or 2. Any other suggestions?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the Zagg HDX on my iPhone 6 Plus and I have it on my Note 4. I like it a lot. No issues when using the S-Pen and I do use it daily. There a number of good ones out there though including the ones that have been mentioned already.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You might want to take a gander at this thread with 37 pages of screen protector info:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-note-4-tempered-glass-screen-protector.html

The glass screen protectors feel the best, but there are "halo effects" on some Notes using some of the full screen glass protectors due to the curved edges on the Note. I am using this one and really like it: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 ScreenGuardz Pure Glass Screen Protector by BodyGuardz. I have no halo effect on mine but some people claim that there is a halo effect. The good thing about Bodyguardz is that they have excellent customer service and will replace or refund if you have problems.

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I used an iCarez PET film protector until they came out with their 1st glass protector & am now using a Zagg hdx. The PET film had terrible clarity, the iCarez glass protector installed w/o a halo but was such a dust/fingerprint magnet I had to remove it. I'm satisfied w/ the Zagg hdx although I'd rather have a glass protector. The hdx has very good clarity & excellent resistance to dust/fingerprints. It installs w/o a halo.

If you get a hdx you need to use the gray S Pen tip as it glides much smoother on the hdx than the black one.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I use Zagg Invisible Shield glass. Works great. You need glass and as you can see there are a variety of choices. Sales people in stores will tell you how many times they have seen glass save a phone. Of course, it is hard to believe sales people because of course they are trying to make sales. The real test is when you know of someone, like I do, who had a phone screen saved by glass. So, go with glass. As well, why ruin your beautiful Note screen with plastic.

Gearheadaddy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Zagg Glass for my Note 4. I have used Zagg products for 6 years, have had 8 free replacements (due to my misuse) all replaced very quickly and all for free. Order new one, put old one back in shipping package and mark "return to sender". Drop at post office. Easy.

Posted via the Verizon Note 4

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have experience with a mirrored/privacy protector? Looking at Zagg and wondering if there's a loss of "brightness" to the screen. I had a mirrored cover several years back on my iPhone 3Gs (don't remember if it was Zagg or not) and I took it off after about 2 weeks because it forced me to turn the screen brightness all the way up, even in low light settings. Outside in natural sunlight rendered the screen practically invisible.

With the large size and hi-def of the screen, I'd definitely like to add a little bit of privacy for when I'm using my phone in public places.

ZAGG InvisibleShield Privacy GLASS Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cell Phones GN4GPS-F00 - Best Buy

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I normally order from clarivue.com but the xtglass protector falls short on covering the whole screen. I'm sending it back.

Almost none of the protectors cover the whole screen because of the curved 2.5 glass Samsung used. It's curved downward on the perimeter making it all but impossible for a glass or non PET film plastic protector to adhere to it. The few that are whole screen I can think of off the top of my head have a border that covers the beveled edge portion of the screen so they're not edge to edge glass/plastic either, Moshi iVisor & Crown come to mind.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I've always used the Spigen SGP brand, always been easy to fit and long lasting.

Posted via the Android Central App

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I've looked at the protectors you've all recommended, along with a few others, and a common trend I notice among user reviews for all products is the "halo" around the edge of the phone. To be expected I suppose because of the curved glass. Many user reviews also included photos of their phone so that you could see the halo around the edges, but I noticed that none of them had their phone in a case....perhaps to better show the halo....and I thought that being able to see the edges of the screen protector was a bit of an eye sore. The case that I currently have my phone in overlaps the outside edge of the phone just enough that I can't feel the curved edge of the screen when swiping side to side or top to bottom. So I'm wondering if I apply a glass protector to my phone, will the overlap from my case kind of cover up the halo? I've got to admit, I've got some crazy OCD when it comes to stuff like this and I'm pretty sure that being able to see/feel the exposed edges of the screen protector would drive me up a wall.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've looked at the protectors you've all recommended, along with a few others, and a common trend I notice among user reviews for all products is the "halo" around the edge of the phone. To be expected I suppose because of the curved glass. Many user reviews also included photos of their phone so that you could see the halo around the edges, but I noticed that none of them had their phone in a case....perhaps to better show the halo....and I thought that being able to see the edges of the screen protector was a bit of an eye sore. The case that I currently have my phone in overlaps the outside edge of the phone just enough that I can't feel the curved edge of the screen when swiping side to side or top to bottom. So I'm wondering if I apply a glass protector to my phone, will the overlap from my case kind of cover up the halo? I've got to admit, I've got some crazy OCD when it comes to stuff like this and I'm pretty sure that being able to see/feel the exposed edges of the screen protector would drive me up a wall.

There is no case that will cover a halo effect on a glass screen protector, as the halo is too far from the edge.
You will read lots of reviews of the glass screen protectors with posts saying that the user has no halo effect, and then posts from others saying that they have halo effect. Reasons for this seem to indicate that some Notes have a slightly more rounded glass than others, or there could also be some who just did not apply the screen protector well.
As mentioned in a previous post, I have the Bodyguardz Pure Screenprotector + Crown and there is absolutely no halo for me:

IMG_20150527_084330_zps66ba4f4a.jpg

IMG_20150527_083715_zps23eef6db.jpg

Note: These pictures are with the replacement Crown that I received, as the original one did not adhere real well. (The original screen protector has had no problems at all; only The Crown was replaced.) The new Crown is much better and I hope it stays on, as it takes a lot a stress going in and out of my pocket. (But it is good so far!)
I do not use a case anymore, as I have applied a Toast skin (TOAST | Real Wood Covers for iPhone, Android, Tablets, Laptops | USA). But I do know that the Tech21 case works with this screenprotector (as I used it before I got the Toast skin), but I am not sure that all cases will work.

Last edited:

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Almost none of the protectors cover the whole screen because of the curved 2.5 glass Samsung used. It's curved downward on the perimeter making it all but impossible for a glass or non PET film plastic protector to adhere to it. The few that are whole screen I can think of off the top of my head have a border that covers the beveled edge portion of the screen so they're not edge to edge glass/plastic either, Moshi iVisor & Crown come to mind.
So, you are saying that almost all of the screen protectors will have a line going down the usable portion of the screen?

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
So, you are saying that almost all of the screen protectors will have a line going down the usable portion of the screen?

I don't think the edge of the screen protector is going to go down a "usable" part of the screen. If you run your finger side to side on your phone (assuming it's not in a case), you will feel the raised edge of the screen on the outside of the frame. The usable screen portion of the phone (within the frame) feels perfectly flat and will be entirely covered by a screen protector.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

If by a line going down the screen you're referring to the edge of the protector most of them completely cover the usable portion of the screen so the edge of the protector is just outside the usable portion of the screen. The problem in addition to not covering the screen edge to edge (which really IMO is not a problem) is finding a glass protector that installs w/o a halo. The iCarez glass protector installs w/o a halo but mine was such a dust/fingerprint magnet I had to remove it. Others have posted on xda forums they've not had the dust/fingerprint problem w/ the iCarez glass.

I settled on the Zagg hdx which isn't glass but installed on my AT&T N4 w/o a halo. It has excellent clarity & excellent resistance to fingerprints & dust. I clean it maybe every 3-4 days by contrast I was cleaning the iCarez glass at least once a day. The hdx is not as smooth as glass & I'd rather have glass but now 7 months after I got my N4 I'm done trying to find a glass protector that installs w/o a halo. The hdx is a compromise & for me it works well enough to leave it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez