Help

CAO

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I updated the phone from US Cellular with a 195 mb update. Since then, I have had constant problems. Half the time the phone will not come on, and I have to pull the battery to get it to come on. I have cleared cache partions twice. The pictures in the Gallery only partially show up, and it takes forever to get them to come up. Updates do more harm than good, and unfortunately, this carrier will not allow us to block updates. Any suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
How did you clear the cache partition? Did you do it in recovery?

What kind of update did you get? Did the baseband number change... like going from 5.0.x to 5.1.x?

CAO

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Nahoku,
I cleared caches in boot up.

Just an update. I've been messing with the phone for awhile, and I think I may have fixed the problem. The 3rd wiping of cache may have taken care of the Gallery issue. Pictures are now coming up quickly. Regarding the other issue, I have isolated the problem to an app I used in the past called "Screen Lock." I used this on "Beautiful Widget" to quickly turn phone off instead of power button. I no longer use it as I have an s-view cover--full face, no window--that turns phone off when I close case. As soon as I removed this app, phone worked nicely.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm so glad you got it worked out. Reading the problems in your OP was .... painful! LOL!

I don't know if you've turned off animations in Developer options, but that'll also speed things up for you a bit. Menus and apps will load more quickly. Some people go down to .5, but I just turn all three settings to 0 (off).

Note that with animations off, sometimes when I "edit" the App drawer to move Icons around, I may get an error. It doesn't happen all the time. Nothing serious, but I personally think it's because my animations are off. Once I set the animations to anything other than 0, I no longer see the error and I can edit just fine. Just a little heads up in case you turn off your animations.

CAO

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting update. I just checked my phone to see about software updates in settings. It came up the "operating software has been modified in an unauthorized manner. Did a Google check and learned the fix has something to do with the SD card and removing it. I did so, and the above quoted phrase went away. However, the SD card does not work in the phone. Tried putting it back in, and it will not read it. I wonder if this is Google/Samsung trying to do away with SD cards in their updates?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
operating software has been modified in an unauthorized manner
This normally comes up if your phone is rooted. I know you're not rooted because you just took an OTA update.

wonder if this is Google/Samsung trying to do away with SD cards in their updates?
I don't think Google/Samsung would do such a thing... too many people out there with SD cards.

The best I can offer is you clean the contacts on the SD and remount. You've probably done that already. I've also heard of people bending the metal top of the SD card holder just a tiny bit so the card can sit a little snugger. Be careful if you're going to attempt this... not good to mess with such an expensive device!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty