gmail help

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how to create new folders for my email through the gmail app and can't figure it out. It let me create a new folder but won't let me change what it's called. Anyone know how? Or is there a different email that will let me do this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Login to Gmail online and create folders there. The new folders will sync to the phone and you're good. Creating folders on the server is more reliable than creating them on the phone anyway.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
If you're stuck without a computer you can log into gmail using chrome on the mobile and use the desktop site/version to get full access to manage your account. It's kinda small to work with but it's all there.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
To add what others are saying I believe the reason for this is Gmail doesn't do folders, it does labels. The labels are what define the "folders" that emails are archived into.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I thought they did both. I know changing the label for an email doesn't change the folder it appears in, but moving it to a different folder does.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I dunno . . just recall struggling with this a couple of weeks ago on the web version of Gmail for an account I share with multiple members of a non-profit.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10708?hl=en

My solution thus far has been creating/managing labels on the web interface and then "filing" things away in the email application on my mobile devices. I can place labels on emails within my primary inbox and they still stay there until I archive them, then they'll move out of the primary box.

Perhaps I'm doing this all wrong . . there's always different ways to do things.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes they work the same as folders. The smart bit is that while a physical file in a filing cabinet can only sit in one folder, an email can have any number of labels. So it's quite possible to use labels as folders but to take advantage of the extra possibilities that labels add, Google reckoned it was worth the slight initial confusion.

Once you add in a few filtering rules you can get your email well sorted.

Another thing worth mentioning that can help filtering email is that Google allows you to add a plus sign + and another word after the first part of the address. This is ignored for delivery but is handy for organising afterwards.

So an address of say, tom@smith.com can be
tom+phonebill@.smith.com.

Handy for knowing who passed on your address to junk mail senders.

Last edited: