HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE battery life after 5.1.1 update

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Mine is great on 5.1.1... Way better than 5.0.1 and that was averaging 5 hours of SOT which is plenty. This was my battery life the other day (in the image). I've been getting over 6 hours each day on 5.1.1

Attachments

• 1444954292719.jpg
    1444954292719.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So I did a factory reset last night. Will report back when I have more info. So far, not looking good. I'm about an hour and a half from having unplugged my phone at 100%, and I'm already down to 87%.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So I did a factory reset last night. Will report back when I have more info. So far, not looking good. I'm about an hour and a half from having unplugged my phone at 100%, and I'm already down to 87%.

I have yet to charge my phone today. Its got 48% battery left which says approx 22h 43m.

Just make sure the applications you don't use that aren't system related are either disabled or removed and you'll be okay.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you plan on updating? If so how, Best Buy?
I have a Note 4 and am on Cricket, is Best Buy my only option?

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket
Yeah, I'm going to Best Buy soon to get 5.1.1
The only reason I have to go there is because my Note 4 is unlocked and I'm using it on a different carrier than it was originally, so it can't get OTAs with my current SIM. If your Note 4 is from Cricket you should be able to update it yourself

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is very good. Of course, to be frank, I'm not the power user that some of you are. I'm satisfied with everything about my Note 4.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The thing is it's not always about whether or not one's a power user. Sometimes (many times really) when threads like this pop up its because of some application or service having issues after the OS is updated. With everyone being different and having different applications there isn't a single best fit answer for everyone. Sometimes for example an app just doesn't update well during the OS update process and a factory reset fixes it since at that point all applications are installed clean.

Other times a factory reset doesn't fix things and people are left wondering why. I often wonder though if these people go right back to their same routine after a factory reset, putting back the same applications/data/media and expecting a different result. After all, one thing should be for certain - barring a hardware defect in a unit there should be no difference in performance between two units after a fresh install/factory reset if the entire device is wiped. What happens after that when users restore apps and data is what defines how a device's performance is going to vary from stock.

That's just the software side of things, there's also usage patterns (screen on times) and network strength as well as environmental variations (screen brightness, temperatures etc.)...

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to Best Buy soon to get 5.1.1
The only reason I have to go there is because my Note 4 is unlocked and I'm using it on a different carrier than it was originally, so it can't get OTAs with my current SIM. If your Note 4 is from Cricket you should be able to update it yourself

Mine is an unlocked AT&T version so I guess I will need to go to Best Buy as well.

Posted via my Note 4 on Cricket

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I will add, though this started happening several weeks ago--well before the 5.1.1 update, that once my battery gets at or below 20%, it's only a matter of seconds before it shuts down, which is really weird. I've had my Note 4 for close to two years. Is the battery just getting old and needs to be replaced?

How have you had your Note 4 for almost two years when tomorrow is the 1 year date from when it was released?

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Here I am, about 7 hours after unplugging my phone from the charger, and I'm at 48% battery with average use.

THIS SUCKS.

Also, my Facebook contacts used to sync with my device contacts, and now I can't get that to happen, either.

Why do these huge companies put out such inferior products? Why screw up something that was working great? Why release something without thorough testing? Makes me very, very angry....

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
@LegalAmerican : Time flies when you're having fun? Old age? Take your pick. My better half says that I scare her quite often with my loss of memory.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Just to add to the discussion: My battery life was good on 4.4.4, was better on 5.0.1, and now, even though it's only been a week, seems even better on 5.1.1. Everyone's mileage is different, that's just how mine has played out.

AJErvin12

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, I will add, though this started happening several weeks ago--well before the 5.1.1 update, that once my battery gets at or below 20%, it's only a matter of seconds before it shuts down, which is really weird. I've had my Note 4 for close to two years. Is the battery just getting old and needs to be replaced?

I was having the same kind of problem a few months ago. I bought a new battery from Amazon and the problem continued. It's a little better now and once I get to 15% my phone dies in as quick as 5 minutes. It does this with both the new and original battery, so in my case it doesn't seem to be a battery issue. It started on. 5.0.1 and continues on. 5.1.1.

Posted using the he Android Central App on my GALAXY Note 4

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
My original battery (had for just about a year) was doing that as well. 25 or so percent then straight down to 1% then dead. New original OEM battery works fine. You sure you didn't buy a counterfeit Note 4 battery. There's tons of them on eBay and Amazon and the average consumer cannot tell the difference between the two. Just asking.

lpcs1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem !!! Even worse actually , whenever i get the 15% battery warning , i got around 1-2 minutes before the GN4 turns itself off , it's scary ! Sometimes the battery dies within 6-7 hours of a full charge ! Screenshot_2015-10-11-21-59-50.jpg

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
FYI, my battery life had slowly deteriorated since the upgrade to 5.0, even though I factory wiped after that upgrade (though I didn't with subsequent minor upgrades). I hadn't been able to upgrade to 5.1, as I mentioned upthread, and I finally just factory wiped so the upgrade would take. I was able to upgrade after the factory wipe, and battery life is much, much improved. So definitely factory wipe if you have upgrade-related battery life issues.

jjlee1128

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
There are two things that you should try disabling.

1. Samsung Push Services: This update just came out a day or so ago. I believe this drains your battery very fast. I also had an incident where I was down to about 10% battery life and it just shut off. Coincidentally it happened when this got installed/updated on my phone. You can go to your application manager and disable.

2. Caller ID (VZW): If you have this service and you don't know about it, this drains your battery like crazy. Once I disabled this I recognized a significant improvement on my battery life.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
FYI, my battery life had slowly deteriorated since the upgrade to 5.0, even though I factory wiped after that upgrade (though I didn't with subsequent minor upgrades). I hadn't been able to upgrade to 5.1, as I mentioned upthread, and I finally just factory wiped so the upgrade would take. I was able to upgrade after the factory wipe, and battery life is much, much improved. So definitely factory wipe if you have upgrade-related battery life issues.

I did. It didn't help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87