Wtf's up with 5.1.1 update!!

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about my language, but what is Samsung playing at?

Why can't they just release a update without any bugs? I waited monthss for the 5.1.1 update for my note 4 to resolve some minor issues with my 5.0. But ever since i updated to 5.1.1. I have been having a really laggy phone, with constant crashing and throwing me back to the lock screen - I read it was something to do with the fingerprint locking! But anyway, I got a smaller update 2 days ago for minor bug fixes but ever since this update i have been getting absolute terrible battery life!!! I sleep with the phone on around 30% and wake up to a dead phone. Slept the other day at 89%, woke up at 60%!

Now before going out, around 12pm was at 95% . come home 6pm 42% - I HARDLY EVEN TOUCHED MY PHONE!!!

Before this latest update 2 days ago my battery life was fine! Before anyone says could be possible faulty battery, I have 3 spare batteries with a battery charger, all of the batteries seem to die out the same! So definitely a software issue.

I know some people would suggest to reset the phone, but these problems shouldn't be there in the first place! Its not as easy as just resetting the phone and have a perfect running phone. I have my whole life on my phone it takes me 2-3 days to fully restore my phone after resetting (usually when i get a new phone i have to switch a load of data around, pictures, contacts, text messages, whatsapp data etc.)

I have been a diehard fan for samsungs for the past 2-3 odd years (s3, s4, s5, s6, note 4) but i am slowly seeing myself moving to another brand of phone! It's the ability of changing batteries/memory card what doesn't want me to give away my note 4! :-( still a lovely phone (especially as its a custom white/gold one i did myself ) just wish there wasn't as bad issues with the software side!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You need to hard reset your phone.
Its a small computer afteral. You have updated the operating system and all the apps you have might go buggy with it, OR the install its self might have had a small glitch. There are thousands of possibilities. Actually you should try wiping the system cache. If you have not done so try that first.
I have slightly over 100 apps on my device and it takes me a few hours to wipe and restore it. Not sure why it would take anybody 2-3 days..
Plus if you have your whole life on the phone like you say you do its worth resetting and getting rid of the glitches.
Lots of people do the upgrades and have no issues. My thoughts on the process are the more stuff you have on it the more likely you are to run into a problem.
I do agree that software updates should be smooth but the reality of it is they dont always go that way and we just have to deal with it. Its up to you since its your phone how you choose to deal with it.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree where the heck is the new update??? But as for your battery issue, I would suggest to just wait it out for a few days because I personally have had that issue with literally all my android phones... It's just sometimes the Google sync gets really buggy and stuff... But if it doesn't go away within a week I'd suggest u installing any apps you've recently installed because that's usually the issue and what will cause major battery issues. If this doesn't work make sure there aren't many apps running in the background... I know for example that if you leave some apps open in the background they will continue to use data like Vine as an example... So just an extra step to fix this just go into the app settings and 'Force close' each app you think might be killing your battery. Hope it gets batter and yeah I'm still waiting for 5.1. 1 too!

Posted via the Android Central App

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I used Odin to revert back to Kitkat (4.4) from 5.01 but after a few days I found myself missing some of the lollipop interface, so I searched for a UK unbranded firmware of 5.1.1 and then tried that and to be honest I didn't really notice any real difference in battery usage from either so I'm sticking with this for now. Had an OTA update a couple of weeks ago about 90mb but no noticeable difference.but I do wipe the cache and do a hard reset after any major update, never really had any problems after doing this but as you say, it's just time consuming to get it back to the way you had it.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Do a factory reset, trust me. After every update the phone is hot and the battery drains, so I've learned to just reset it and all is fine... More than fine actually. 5.1.1 is amazing.

Fuego

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had zero issues with 5.1.1 on AT&T. Battery life is better than on the previous version and the lag is gone. I wiped cache after the upgrade and that's it. Very happy with the update so far. I wonder how many of the issues!/complaints are due to wonky, poorly designed apps. Any time I've had issues after an update I wipe the phone, leave all downloaded apps off of the phone for a day or so to see if everything is stable. If so I try adding only a few apps at a time and test for 12-24 hours. In every case I found a problem with an app that didn't play well with the update so I removed it. One year and a few system updates later and I'm still living my Note 4!

Posted from my awesome Note 4

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got my phone a few weeks ago. As soon as I started it the 5.1.1 update was waiting for me. After the update, I factory reset and clear partition cache. Phone is running flawless....

Posted via the Materialistic Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
To the OP it would help to know what network you are on as sometimes the customisation of the OS is at fault and not Android itself.

I have 5.1.1 on my Vodafone Note4 which Vodafone don't customise and it runs perfectly. Battery life has increased.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
AT&T Note 4 here. 5.1.1 is a joke. It has KILLED my battery life. I mean literally I'm getting about half what I was on the last version of 5.0.1. Makes me really angry. I haven't added any apps or changed any of my habits. Android System and Kernal are chewing through battery.

Before the update I was averaging about 5.5-6 hours of screen time, and almost 2 days of battery life (by GSam Battery Monitor). Now I'm getting 4 hours screen time and about 22 hours of battery life, meaning I have to charge my phone more than once per day, instead of just overnight.

HORRIBLE UPDATE.

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
AT&T Note 4 here. 5.1.1 is a joke. It has KILLED my battery life. I mean literally I'm getting about half what I was on the last version of 5.0.1. Makes me really angry. I haven't added any apps or changed any of my habits. Android System and Kernal are chewing through battery.

Before the update I was averaging about 5.5-6 hours of screen time, and almost 2 days of battery life (by GSam Battery Monitor). Now I'm getting 4 hours screen time and about 22 hours of battery life, meaning I have to charge my phone more than once per day, instead of just overnight.

HORRIBLE UPDATE.

Have you tried backing up and doing a reset? Just curious as VZW hasn't given the Note 4 users the update yet.

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to load the update to no avail. Note 4 AT&T. It'll show that it dl's the update but always says there is a problem installing the update. Idk

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok, adding another problem.

The battery drain issue is somewhat related to wifi.

Before sleeping the other night the battery was on around 30%, woke up to a dead phone.

The following night the battery was on 89% (1am), when I woke up it was on around 60% (8.30am).

The night after, was on around 38%, and i woke up with my phone fully dead.

Then the night after, i decided to switch my wifi off It was on around 73%, woke up to around 70%.

Seems to be an app that could be draining all the battery using wifi, but cant work out which app it could be?

Eric faley

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
My note 4 has become a battery hog and laggy performance. I went to the Verizon store. The tech said well I can order you another phone your still under warranty. Or I could try to hard reset the phone. But with the Android 5.0 and above the new software requires more power to run.
On a side note I saw a review of the Nexus 6 phone with Marshmallow. The reviewer said Google did a great job on the phone and operating system too bad the Android apps are crap and don't work as good as IOS. Ouch.

Posted via the Android Central App

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok so i have fixed the issue with my horrific battery drain problem, it was caused stupid exchange services!!!

I removed all of my email accounts in the email app.!!! Not sure why this was caused but i read a fix on this website and was told to go on my outlook email and delete my mobile sync and then delete the account from my phone app - which is what i did! Then did a wipe cache partition straight after (not sure if this had anything to do with it, but just to be on the safe side lol).

Anyways, I have now fixed the problem! I have not added the email accounts back as my outlook/hotmail accounts i didn't really use anyway. Gmail is my main email but have the Gmail app installed for that!

My battery is back to being amazing as it was in the previous software version! I did not wipe my phone data or anything - just simply remove the exchange services as this was on the top of my battery drain.

Hope this helped someone!

Dustoff-00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok so i have fixed the issue with my horrific battery drain problem, it was caused stupid exchange services!!!

I removed all of my email accounts in the email app.!!! Not sure why this was caused but i read a fix on this website and was told to go on my outlook email and delete my mobile sync and then delete the account from my phone app - which is what i did! Then did a wipe cache partition straight after (not sure if this had anything to do with it, but just to be on the safe side lol).

Anyways, I have now fixed the problem! I have not added the email accounts back as my outlook/hotmail accounts i didn't really use anyway. Gmail is my main email but have the Gmail app installed for that!

My battery is back to being amazing as it was in the previous software version! I did not wipe my phone data or anything - just simply remove the exchange services as this was on the top of my battery drain.

Hope this helped someone!

Have you reinstalled Outlook? I use Gmail and Outlook and have pretty good battery life....usually an easy day. Just wondering if there was a weird setting that caused the drain.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from KitKat 4.4.4 to Lollipop 5.1.1 about 6 weeks ago. Cleared the cache, installed the update and then did a factory reset. The phone has been working better and better since then. Battery life was initially like with KitKat but has now markedly improved. I'm now averaging an SOT of over 8 hours daily.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty