Thinking of upgrading to a Note 4 - a couple of technical questions

Steve Gantlett

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my Galaxy S3 (running Android 4.3) to a Note 4, almost entirely because I like the idea of the larger screen. Will it 'feel' like an upgrade in perfomance speed too?
I'm thinking of buying my Note 4 from Ebay, but I have a couple of technical questions.
1. GSM Arena says my S3 processor (CPU) is "Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9" and the Note 4 CPU is "Quad-core 2.7 GHz Krait 450 (SM-N910S) Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57 (SM-N910C)". Does this mean the S3 has one CPU and the Note 4 has THREE? Or are these three alternative models and I have to know which I need and to be sure of which I am buying on Ebay?
2. GSM Arena also says the Note 4 operating system is " v4.4.4 (KitKat), v5.0.1 (Lollipop), upgradable to v5.1.1". Does that mean some models are v4.4.4 and some other versions of the Note 4 are v5.0.1 upgradable to v5.1.1? If so, I'll not want to buy a 4.4.4 one, or if I get one running that is that too definitely upgradable to v5.1.1?
3. And finally is there anything else I should be wary of version-wise if buying a Note 4 for use here in the UK?
Thank you very much indeed if anyone can help with these questions before I take the plunge.

Super Ryo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I had an S3 and upgraded to S4 and S5 before jumping to Note 4 and for me it was very worth it. There is a noticeable improvement in performance plus the screen and camera is so much better. I did get rid of the stock launcher and used Nova Launcher and that felt faster overall.

etdoner

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
1 - 2 different processors: snapdragon 805 (quad core) exynos 5433 (octa core). Performance wise they are similar though exynos is better in cpu benchmarks, snapdragon in gpu benchmarks. Also exynos has a discrete dac which is said to yield better audio quality over headphones then snapdragon versions internal dac. Exynos has lower lte speeds compared to snapdragon version.

2 - unlocked versions are upgraded to 5.1.1 which is in my opinion vest performing Android version on note 4. Though battery life is questionable. I'm not liking it.

3 - dk

Posted via the Android Central App

Steve Gantlett

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much all. I'm not sure I fully understand these answers, but do you think if I buy a new unlocked Note 4 off Ebay it will work just fine in the UK and it will be upgradable to 5.1.1 ?

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Which N4's come with the Exynos chip set? I am considering upgrading on Verizon. My Nokia Lumia 928 is paid off. Just don't have the on hand cash to buy a Lumia 950XL from Microsoft outright. To swap carrier is cost prohibitive with my current medical situation.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Be careful buying off Ebay and you should be fine, check recent feedback etc (I'm sure you already know this) and ask questions if you need to. At the minute Amazon have the white one for £363.99.
The international Note SM-910f is the one you should be looking at, there are other variations but not guaranteed to work on the UK networks via 4g etc..
I had the Note 2, 3 and 4 and was impressed by all of them, the Note 4 is just an awesome phone, sure you are going to get some bad ones and some may not take to the big screen/ S Pen but if you have researched in what you need in a phone, you will not be disappointed.
Also check out the spare battery/charger on Amazon at the minute, £23.90 for both and I can vouch for it, great bit of kit.

Last edited:

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Why would you not get the note 5? I have the note 4 and it's a terrific phone besides: the lag, the camera quality. The iPhone 6splus is better in every regard except the screen and of course... iOS. My note 4 lags very badly all the time but I have to live with it because I'm not impressed enough with the note 5 to upgrade and I tried the 6splus but I don't like ios. I'd say wait until next year's flagships. Or if u absolutely must upgrade then just get the note 5. It's a better experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion the note 4 is still the king of the Samsung line up. Yeah ok the note 5 packs a bit bigger of a punch and cosmetic wise looks a bit sharper but in my experience running my note 4 on 5.1.1 this phone is an absolute beast! For the price of the note 4 vs the price of the note 5 there is no comparison. And as for the camera not being good on the note 4.... as if lol