Question about OTA Blocking on Verizon

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys... I have a question about Blocking OTA Updates on Verizon (Note 4)...

Real quickly... I just took a new position and its a BYOD shop (Bring your own Device). anyway, they just went to install Mobile Iron, Touchdown to connect to the Exchange server. when doing so, it was having issues connecting to the exchange server. The dumped the log files and sent them off to Mobile Iron to troubleshoot. They came back and said that my Knox was corrupt and that was causing the problem. I was FORCED to do a wipe and a factory reset of the phone. Having said that I now have the phone back to the way I want it on 5.1.1 and touchdown & mobile iron are working fine.

My question is... I want to CONTROL OTA updates from being pushed to my phone. If I downlaod the OTA/Knox blocker for XDA forums and install it, will it break Mobile Iron or Touchdown...? .... further, If I do install it and it does break something, can I uninstall it...? Thoughts..?

Thanks guys...

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea if blocking OTAKnox will affect those programs. However, these are my thoughts... I have to assume that if this is a corporate environment, then software will be updated on a regular schedule. If they update, then the Knox requirement may also be updated. If you block OTA/Knox, then your phone may once again be seen as having a Knox problem forcing you to do a PITA reset again. LP 5.1.1 on VZW just came out recently and there have been a few updates to boot. Given the track record of VZW, I don't think you'll see 6.0 anytime soon, so blocking OTA/Knox won't make a difference at this time. I think you're forced to leave the OTA/Knox alone. JMO.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I think I attended agree with you. I think if I disable OTA/Knox, then it will cause a problem with the corporate software. My dilemma is this, is my personal phone obviously, I can't rooted ATM because is on Verizon service....and... Because mobile iron also won't allow an install of a rooted device. Having said that, I'm okay not rooting the device however my big concern is the next time Verizon has a brainstorm of pushing out an OS update like they did with 5.0.1 I'm not going to be able to block it and still use my phone for business. And.. I sure don't want to carry two phones around either.

To be honest, after the 5.0 .1 debacle, I'm not in any hurry to see them push out 6.0. I'm actually surprised they made it right with the two updates in 5.1.1. I can actually say I'm happy with the stability and performance of the phone now. But again, not being able to block it I'm exposed to another unwanted update. I'd be curious to hear if I can block OTA's and be able to unblock it is necessary...?

Thank you for your feedback...!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You can use debloater to block OTA. Visit THIS XDA thread. Read through it and check if it supports 5.1.1. I believe it does and you can turn off/on OTA blocking. I use it on my Note 4 running Kitkat. There is also an app on Playstore that has the same features but I can't remember the name off hand. Both don't require root.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My company also uses Touchdown and MobileIron, and it drives me nuts that it cannot support the fingerprint scanner on my beloved Note 4. Anyway...

MobileIron can be very fussy about things like root and custom ROMS, depending on how your company sets it up. Of course, you have just been through a forced factory reset so I guess rooting it to put on something like debloat or another OTA blocker wouldn't be too bad, since if MobileIron rats you out and blocks you (which it likely will), you can always unroot and hopefully it will work.

But MobileIron works closely with Knox, and wants your Knox to be somewhat up to date. Chances are, if you start skipping updates, you'll just slam full-tilt-boogie into this issue again.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
so I guess rooting it to put on something like debloat or another OTA blocker wouldn't be too bad
Debloater doesn't require root. That's the beauty of the software. It was specifically developed by "gatesjunior" of XDA for ATT and Verizon phones that cannot be rooted.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Debloater doesn't require root. That's the beauty of the software. It was specifically developed by "gatesjunior" of XDA for ATT and Verizon phones that cannot be rooted.

Ah, OK, thanks. I looked up a few apps called "debloater" and they all required root.

Even so, it's possible that MobileIron would see its presence and depending on the settings possibly block corporate email. It's really deeply invasive stuff, and a royal pain. However, it's usually pretty clear about what rule you are breaking so it's worth a shot.