Why do I have to have a data signal to receive voicemail notifications?

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
A friend, also with a Note 4, remarked that she was not getting voicemails and asked if I was having a similar problem. Since I rarely use my phone for calls, I wasn't aware that I, too, had the problem.

She went to Verizon and was told that in order to receive notifications her data had to be on, so I performed a little test: I made two calls from my landline to my phone. The first, with the data turned on, left a voice mail notification very quickly. The second, with data turned off, left NO NOTIFICATION - just a missed call notification.

What this means is that if someone leaves you a voicemail and you don't notice the missed call notification and use *86 to retrieve your message, you will not know you had a message until the next time you use *86. This is unconscionable!

If we are forced to leave data on we are losing battery life - especially if we are in a low signal area. NOT FAIR! I'm going to Verizon this afternoon (they're open here - Western North Carolina - on Sundays from 12-6).

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: What is this crap from Verizon that in order to be notifed of a voicemail data has to be turned

If we are forced to leave data on we are losing battery life - especially if we are in a low signal area. NOT FAIR! I'm going to Verizon this afternoon (they're open here - Western North Carolina - on Sundays from 12-6).

Well, the info concerning the notification is great, thanks for that!. But curious - if you want to turn data off how do you expect the phone to work completely? And, this may come as a shock, but Verizon, as well as all the other carriers, are in business to make money. Nothings free. Well, other than the good advice here :)

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: What is this crap from Verizon that in order to be notifed of a voicemail data has to be turned

I am able to use my phone on wi-fi most of the time, so I don't need data unless I want to access the internet or use Google Maps in an area for which I've not downloaded offline maps.

The voicemail FAQ for which you've provided a link requires a login to Verizon and I am unable to do so - it seems there's always a problem with our log-ins from having changed either IDs or passwords.

I don't need visual voicemail - just plain vanilla call in and listen. There was a charge for visual voicemail and I didn't need it. It's not installed in my phone.

Why can't they let voicemail function as it did in the past - had no problems with that. Yes...they are looking for as many ways as possible to make more money and, unfortunately, have the best signal in this mountainous area, so most people go with them if they can afford their service.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The voicemail FAQ for which you've provided a link requires a login to Verizon and I am unable to do so - it seems there's always a problem with our log-ins from having changed either IDs or passwords.

No it doesn't. I accessed it and was able to read the relevant parts and I'm not even a Verizon customer. Here's the part I felt was relevant to your issue:

Can I access Visual Voicemail if I'm outside the data coverage area?
No, Visual Voicemail isn't supported over Wi-Fi. If your mobile device can't send or receive data, you won't be able to receive your Visual Voicemail messages

I don't need visual voicemail - just plain vanilla call in and listen. There was a charge for visual voicemail and I didn't need it. It's not installed in my phone.

I seem to recall that when I enabled Advanced Calling (when I still had Verizon) it required a change to basic Visual Voicemail.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Had a long talk with a Verizon chat person who said he had reset my account and that I should received notifications without turning on data.

Tested that and it didn't work. I would get a missed message indication but no notice of voicemail. Two times I decided to turn on data and the voicemail I had just sent would pop up with an audible and visual notification and I could press a progress arrow at the bottom of the screen and hear the voice mail, as long as I turned on data after I saw that missed phone call notification on my taskbar, so it looks like to retrieve voicemails I will have to turn on data each time.

Here is a transcript of my conversation with the technician:

Verizon Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless Chat Team regarding your account. How can we help you today?
You I dont have visual voicemail and dont want it. Am not receiving voicemail notifications.
Verizon Oh my!
Verizon I'm more than glad to check all options regarding this visual voice mail
Verizon Hi, my name is Jamie. I am more than happy to help. To get started may I please have your first name?
You Isabel
Verizon It's my pleasure to chat with you Isabel.
Verizon Can you please confirm the mobile number you are referring to?
You xxxxxxxxx

Verizon Thank you very much.
You What happened? Agent stopped typing?
Verizon I can see here that you have a basic visual voice mail active on the account,To make sure we are on the same page , are we going to remove this feature on this line?
You I understand that with basic voice mail I now have to have data turned on. I never had to in the past. I live in an area with poor signaks. Data eats up battery life. Dont want to have to turn it on in order to reveive a voicemail notification. Only was i can get a voicemail is *86. Otherwise I dont know i have a message.
Verizon Appreciate this information, I truly understand that data normally eats up a battery life, let me further check what we can do to my end. please stay connected.
You Ok
Verizon Thanks
Verizon Currently working on it. Please bear with me.
You Thanx
Verizon Most welcome
Verizon Thank you for patiently waiting
Verizon I have fully modify your account and making sure that you do not need to turn on your data to check your voicemail message
Verizon Rest assured that moving forward , you can now get a voicemail message via dialing *86
You I can do that now, what i wantvis to get a notification that there is a voicemail waiting. I am not getting notifications.
Verizon Let me refresh my system as well so moving forward you'll get a notification regarding this voicemail. Please stay connected
You Will do
Verizon Thank you very much.
Verizon Thank you so much for waiting
Verizon I have successfully refresh my system to my end and please monitor the notification within 24 hours. Rest assured moving forward you will not get a notification for your voicemail messages and no need to turn on your data to receive this
You You just wrote that moving forward you will NOT get a notification for your voicemail messages. Is that what you meant?
Verizon Oh my , it is juts a typo , this will make sure that you WILL get*
You Thats what I hoped.
Verizon I can definitely assure you to that , I have fully documented your account to make sure that you will no longer reach this same issue as I have fully refresh and modify your account to my end.
You Thank you. Can. I save this conversation?
Verizon Absolutely! you can save this chat by clicking the envelop icon on this chat window
Verizon Is there anything else I can help you with today?
You No. Thanks so much
Verizon As a valued customer like you, I should be the one thanking you for being the best and kind customer I've chatted with. You are one of the reason why I love my job.
Verizon Thank you for being the best part of Verizon since 1997 , we really appreciate and value our customer like you.. Have a wonderful day!
You You too.
Verizon :)

Thanks for choosing Verizon Wireless.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's been many years since I've been a Verizon customer, so forgive me if my information is obsolete, but two things come to mind.

First, they used to be able to turn on SMS notifications of voice mail. So you'd get an SMS, which comes over the voice circuit and not the data side of things. Not QUITE as nice as a voicemail icon, but it gets the job done.

Second, does Verizon offer "Wifi calling" yet? That allows you to use your WiFi to make and receive phone calls, SMS, and voicemail notifications as if you were on Verizon's towers. I use it all the time on AT&T because signal at my house is extremely weaksauce. It took a couple of phone calls to get someone who managed to get it provisioned on my line (I needed "HD Voice" provisioned, and my AT&T account did not have it by default) and then I just went into "Settings" / "WiFi Calling" and turned it on.

Now when I have decent wifi and weak cell signal, a little plus sign appears in the middle of my wifi icon telling me that all carrier services are being routed through WiFi. And voicemail notifications work fine even if carrier signal is zero.

EDIT to add: It seems to have made a decent difference in my battery life - I don't believe the phone is working so hard to try to get signal because it's "happy" to have full access to everything it needs on WiFi.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I installed advanced calling and situation seems to have been resolved. Sometimes, it seems, I have to wait for the voicemail message to be accessible. I have better luck with the TrueCaller app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38