Please Samsung, don't do this to the Note 5!

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't take the spare battery and its charger/case with me all the time as my Note 4 gets very good battery life. I only take it on the occasion when I think I may need the option or I know I'll be away from a charging source for an extended period of time. In those cases it's very portable and easily slips right into a pocket as it's pretty slim (pic below). Its wall charger only comes along when traveling out of town, otherwise if needed I just connect it in the car (via a standard car charger) or when at work to my PC (via a spare USB cable left there). In comparison with an embedded battery, even though it may last a long time you're stuck having to connect it and wait for a charge, something that can take longer the more the battery has been discharged or the higher its capacity. Then if you want to use it while it's charging you have to deal with the attached cable or an external battery pack (if used). To me, that's a much bigger inconvenience than dealing with an extra battery and its charger. But different strokes for different folks. :)

View attachment 171565
You don't sleep? Yes I'm being a joker, but in seriousness if you have a high capacity battery you'll have no problem making it last until bed time

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You don't sleep? Yes I'm being a joker, but in seriousness if you have a high capacity battery you'll have no problem making it last until bed time

I could make it to bedtime no problem if I followed that model of charging (except during very heavy use). But with a user-replaceable battery and a spare, I don't worry about it and typically wait to swap out for a fresh battery at about 15-20% charge (then put the depleted battery in the charger so it's ready to go when needed again).

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I could make it to bedtime no problem if I followed that model of charging (except during very heavy use). But with a user-replaceable battery and a spare, I don't worry about it and typically wait to swap out for a fresh battery at about 15-20% charge (then put the depleted battery in the charger so it's ready to go when needed again).
And you're still carrying an extra piece of hardware

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't swap my battery simply because I don't want to repeatedly rip off my case and open my phone to do so. I would replace the battery if it begins to show signs of wearing out. Now that, that is peace of mind.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I would argue that carrying an extra piece of hardware is more inconvenient than what you're describing with a long lasting embedded battery that doesn't require charging as often.. As for what you and Halycon mentioned about overall battery longevity and wearing out, I've only ever seen this become an issue on phones I've owned longer than 2 years. And those were using older battery tech.

Depends, I guess, on whether you actually do things to wear that big battery out. I sure do. Let's see--5 hour drive next with GPs on and the MP3s, playing. Not to mention phone calls and ebook reading when I break.

Batteries do eventually wear down. But what happens when you get even bigger ones is that if they would have been fresh and ok if 100%, you get in the habit of not topping them off as often--and you don't actually start at 100% all the time. 60% of a big battery isn't so big any more.

In which case, by far, the easiest thing is to have an itty bitty tiny extra battery as a replacement.That'll work everywhere, without the need of charging, cables, or sockets.

Just 3 weeks ago, btw, ran my battery down to 0 when it drew lots of juice for some reason in the middle of a complicated drive. I would've been lost 300 miles from home without GPS. Of course, I did have extra batteries. No problem. A battery pack might've worked in THAT instance, but talk about bigger things to carry---and they wear down too.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't swap my battery simply because I don't want to repeatedly rip off my case and open my phone to do so. I would replace the battery if it begins to show signs of wearing out. Now that, that is peace of mind.

Yup, that is peace of mind in particular when you keep your devices for years (ex. still have my Note 2 and plan to keep the Note 4 for years to come as well). I also find peace of mind knowing I always have a fully charged spare battery at the ready so I never have to worry about running out of juice. :)

I can see it being a pain to frequently swap out a battery if you have a case. I use mine naked though (just a vertical leather pouch for transport) and have been taking the cover off/on to swap out a battery since my ol' HTC Thunderbolt days, so the process is so second nature I don't even think about it and can have a battery swapped out and the phone back up and running in a minute. Note: in case anyone is thinking well doesn't that wear out your battery door? It doesn't as long as you're careful and don't just rip it off and force it back on. Worse case though if needed, a new battery door can be picked up at minimal cost anyway.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
And you're still carrying an extra piece of hardware

As previously stated, I don't carry it with me all the time, only on occasion. Even when I do it's not an inconvenience at all. In the end, it's an option I find invaluable thus hope to see maintained on future Note devices. If it's not for you, no problem you don't have to use it. :)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Lost in the shuffle here, is exactly how much bigger the battery can be SOLELY because they eliminate the removal battery option.

My guess is--not all that much and not nearly enough to make me happy about eliminating removable batteries. But I'd like to hear some statistics if anyone has that.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
As previously stated, I don't carry it with me all the time, only on occasion. Even when I do it's not an inconvenience at all. In the end, it's an option I find invaluable thus hope to see maintained on future Note devices. If it's not for you, no problem you don't have to use it. :)
Not really a question of yours or my personal feelings though, I'm speaking of comparison in general. A large built in battery that doesn't require frequently being charged is easier than removing a case, a backplate, and carrying one more piece of hardware. To you personally it might not be. But in general it is. Guess that's why we aren't in agreement, you're speaking towards your specific usage, I'm speaking in general terms. Not saying your usage is wrong, I'm just making a general observation.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Batteries wear out. Its that simple. I like to be able to replace a worn battery myself, quickly and easily. It really is no more complicated than that. I also enjoy being able to slip a 128+GB SD card into my phone and move it to another one of my phones if I want.

📐Welcome to the Dark. From the Note Edge.🍷

Correct batteries do wear out over time. A long time.

Even if you keep your device for 3 or 4 years the battery will be fine.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Correct batteries do wear out over time. A long time.

Even if you keep your device for 3 or 4 years the battery will be fine.
It depends on how you maintain the battery. If you consistently wear in down to less than 40% before recharging it it is doubtful its going to last 3 years. It also depends on how often you charge it. Most contemporary batteries are good for ~ 300-400 discharge cycles before showing significant signs of wear. For most people that is less than 3 years. Again, the smaller the battery the more likely it is that it will be charged more often.

🍷from the n.3 Monolith🍶

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So the ifixit report thing where the S6 is difficult to breakdown but it is possible to replace the battery due to an accessible battery lead, whereas the S6 Edge is nigh on impossible to replace .....
- the Note 5 is unlikely to be glass backed right?

Worst scenario it has a sealed battery, and I hoped it doesn't, it should have the space and build to make a battery replacement a quick and inexpensive deal at an authorised repairer. They wouldn't make it unreplaceable unless by choice.

So if the Note 5 has a sealed battery, an ifixit type breakdown will be valuable.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not really a question of yours or my personal feelings though, I'm speaking of comparison in general. A large built in battery that doesn't require frequently being charged is easier than removing a case, a backplate, and carrying one more piece of hardware. To you personally it might not be. But in general it is. Guess that's why we aren't in agreement, you're speaking towards your specific usage, I'm speaking in general terms. Not saying your usage is wrong, I'm just making a general observation.

Fair enough, although your point is predicated on making it through a day on one charge. That probably works for a lot of people but is not the point of this thread. The point here is that as Note users (typically hard core power users) we WANT the option of a user-replaceable battery as it provides the best and easiest opportunity to extend the running life of the phone. :)

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Fair enough, although your point is predicated on making it through a day on one charge. That probably works for a lot of people but is not the point of this thread. The point here is that as Note users (typically hard core power users) we WANT the option of a user-replaceable battery as it provides the best and easiest opportunity to extend the running life of the phone. :)
They may not get it if the rumors about an aluminum chassis end up being true

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
They may not get it if the rumors about an aluminum chassis end up being true

We'll see. If that's the case and the Note 5 has a sealed/embedded battery I know I won't be alone in saying I'll keep my Note 4 indefinitely until Samsung comes back to their senses may be with the Note 6.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
We'll see. If that's the case and the Note 5 has a sealed/embedded battery I know I won't be alone in saying I'll keep my Note 4 indefinitely until Samsung comes back to their senses may be with the Note 6.

Unfortunately, I think once Samsung goes with embedded batteries you'll either have to deal with it or find a company that doesn't. A few reasons I say this:

1. Motorola and HTC are doing this with no signs of switching back. The batteries last the life of the contract from my experience. This doesn't bother me nor a lot of users because carrying an extra battery is a hassle and unacceptable. I prefer the big battery of the Turbo embedded over a removable weaker battery. Now, if Samsung continues to use weak batteries such as the S6 than yes, they're doing an unacceptable thing IMO.

2. Samsung Ativ laptops have embedded batteries and are extremely nice. I prefer the thin design anyways.

It just seems like embedded batteries are the norm and will be standard before you know it. I admit having options is great but I realize this is where we are headed.

All IMO of course.

Edit: Apparently if your battery has less than 80% capacity within a year they will fix it free. Afterwards, its $45+ shipping. Hopefully they have a replacement program so you're not without the phone.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/samsung-finally-reveals-much-cost-replace-galaxy-s6-183833496.html

Last edited:

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to break it to you people out there but Samsung will be going with this newer s6 look. Maybe not with the Note 5, or maybe they will but it will happen. Millions of people are going goo goo for the s6. Samsung doesn't make money on their batteries so that won't hurt them. Every company will be going in that direction sooner or later. At least Samsung is making them look excellent unlike other boring phones. I would just want sapphire glass on it if they are making the back glass as well to make it a little more safe.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Another reason why I think you're seeing removable batteries and SD cards going the way of the dodo is because the biggest proponents of them are a niche group within a niche group. In other words, techies who are also SD card and removable battery fans.

Samsung never gained dominance over other android oems because of either. Who would be the biggest expert on who buys Samsung phones? Samsung. Do you see a removable battery or SD card in the S6? And yet it's already shaping up to be a huge success.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep an SD card in the Note, I could see that having some business related applications. Data sharing etc. But if they put a removable battery in it, I'll be very surprised. I'm already reading S6 buyer reviews from carrier stores and the harshest one I've seen so far is "a little disappointed about no SD card or removable battery but no big deal this phone is awesome!" that's the kind of tone I'm seeing set among buyers and critics alike.

tl;dr version: Samsung will go unibody from now on and only a very small group of people won't like it, and most of them will buy anyway.

Last edited: