Leaked photos reveal that Note 5 is going for S6 design

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree, the market had changed since I moved to Android I came from Ios because the Note had the big screen and I was hooked have had note 1,2 and now 4.

But now there's competition, Apple have brought out a big phone as have Google with the Nexus so years ago I didn't really have a option but now I do! so the next note isn't nailed on like it was for last lot of years.

Posted via the Android Central App

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you just wait for the LG G4 Pro that will be the equivalent of the Note 5. It will have a stylus metal build, SD card and removable battery according to reports.

I hadn't heard about that version. Thanks for the info!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't either. I saw something one that it will be all metal. If it is all metal it will be a sealed up phone, no?

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
A battery is a disposable item. Sealing it into a device this expensive is madness. The thing about Apple is they have a set charge for replacing your battery so you know you can do that at any stage. This offers some peace of mind. I get the impression with Samsung, and a lot of the Android sealed in gang, that these phones are not intended to be opened again, with all the glue and glass they use. This is totally unacceptable to be. Fair enough, give my phone a sealed in battery, but also make it possible for at least the manufacturer to replace the battery for me.

With all the glass, how many people are going to want to risk carrying it around without a case? So when you put the case on, all those beautiful looks go out the window.

Who are these sealed in batteries benefiting? It doesn't seem to be the owners.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
A battery is a disposable item. Sealing it into a device this expensive is madness. The thing about Apple is they have a set charge for replacing your battery so you know you can do that at any stage. This offers some peace of mind. I get the impression with Samsung, and a lot of the Android sealed in gang, that these phones are not intended to be opened again, with all the glue and glass they use. This is totally unacceptable to be.

Apple haters ignore this point, and it's a big one. It shows that Apple wants to take care of their customers.

I have a co-worker who has an iPhone 4. She's going to the Apple store today to get a replacement battery, which will cost her $79. She knew the price up front, because Apple doesn't treat their customers' old phones as if they are disposable.

Samsung has missed the entire reason their phones are not selling as well as they used to: everyone knows that their phones are basically disposable after 2 years. They not only don't have an easy plan in place to replace a user's battery now, but they only update their phones for 2-3 years max. (not just a Samsung issue though) And they are worth half of what an iPhone is after 2 years.

All of the Android manufacturers are going to eventually lose a percentage of customers until something changes. But Samsung is in a position to lose more than others, since they have a larger existing customer base.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna go all-in with the LG G4 if Samsung throws us under the bus again (i.e. Remove Extensibility by sealing up the phone.) I won't care even if the Note has a 4000+ mAh battery, a sealed up phone will last three years tops before the battery has degraded to the point of uselessness, and I cannot have a phone that will be useless in three years.

Would you really keep a phone for three years though? Everyone on this forum thread has a Note 4 or some new device. If we buy phones every year then the battery degrading after three years will not matter. Yes you man keep your previous phone but if it isn't your daily driver then the battery won't be used.

Let's be realistic, the life of a battery doesn't so much matter. If it makes it through the first year warranty without any issues the battery will probably last along time.

I'm not too sure if a removable battery and SD card really matters either. Especially with Google's unlimited cloud storage for pictures, the remaining internal memory on your phone will be plenty enough for everything else.

I can't speak for everyone but I barely trust SD cards now a days, no matter how expensive, they all eventually become corrupt. Thoughts?

daiwolf

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
I saw the pictures. TBH, I'm skeptical on the legitimacy of the leak.

It looks more like a blown-up S6. Yes, the Note line has always resembled the S-line, but you can easily tell a Note from a S just by looking at it. Of course, it's bigger, but there are also minor but significant design changes. Look at the Galaxy S4 and the Note 3. You can recognize both of them easily, even if I were to move the Note in such a way that it would look as if it's the same size as the S4.

I really do hope they retain the microSD card slot and removable battery. The omission of those 2 didn't really bother me in the S6 because the S-line is geared towards general consumers. The Note-line, on the other hand, is usually geared towards businesspeople, artists and power users, so the omission of both may limit its appeal.

Yea I agree with you that Def looks like a s6 in the case same colour as the s6 below it

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Would you really keep a phone for three years though? Everyone on this forum thread has a Note 4 or some new device. If we buy phones every year then the battery degrading after three years will not matter. Yes you man keep your previous phone but if it isn't your daily driver then the battery won't be used.

Let's be realistic, the life of a battery doesn't so much matter. If it makes it through the first year warranty without any issues the battery will probably last along time.

I'm not too sure if a removable battery and SD card really matters either. Especially with Google's unlimited cloud storage for pictures, the remaining internal memory on your phone will be plenty enough for everything else.

I can't speak for everyone but I barely trust SD cards now a days, no matter how expensive, they all eventually become corrupt. Thoughts?

in the past, no way I'd hold onto a phone for 3 years. there comes a point though when you reach diminishing returns, and each year the upgrades aren't as significant.

if I can get a phone I really like, with a solid camera and USB-C, I can see holding onto it 3+ years.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am getting a new phone in October (my S4 will be about 20 months old at that point) - this makes me wonder if there will be price cuts on the Note 4 - I was looking at the pricing on AT&T and that was the most expensive of the phones I would like to look at.

I am going to hang onto replaceable batteries and SD cards as long as I can, because I can't afford to constantly move everything up and down to the cloud on a metered data plan, and because I have found that the batteries in all my phones have begun to lose their zip by the end of a year of life and I like to be able to start using a new one. Just my personal preference.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Have had a Note 4 since January. Never taken the back off. Sealed battery and SD card mean nothing to me. Can't ever see me going to an iPhone. Too much customization with Android. Maybe LG G4, had an LG G2 before I got the Note.

Same here, I've never bought an extra battery or filled up my internal storage in 5 years of owning smartphones. People love the feel of the s6 so I'm sure they will do a similar design with note 5. Besides the Note series always mimics the Galaxy s series anyway. So it should come as no surprise. Apple has already shown that sealed battery and no sd card isn't essential to sell devices in great quantities.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just wait for the LG G4 Pro that will be the equivalent of the Note 5. It will have a stylus metal build, SD card and removable battery according to reports.

If all this is true, this will probably be my next device. By the time it's released, any of the bugs on the G4 should be fixed. The camera and screen on the G4 is FANTASTIC!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I believe that doing away with the features that differentiate the S line from the Note line is a huge mistake. Believe me, if we Note owners wanted the S, we would have been all over it and there would be an overage of used Note 4s available on the market. Note users LOVE our phones! We anticipate upcoming versions with baited breath every year. It looks like most of us are now going to be anticipating LG phones. Many of us have switched to the Note line for its distinct features: removable battery, microSD card option, great screen, decent camera, S pen, Android OS, etc. Many have even switched from Almighty iPhone because of those features.

Look, Samsung! If you are seeking to make a better iPhone, forget it. Ain't gonna happen. You don't control the Android OS. If, however, you're trying to merge the S and Note lines, JUST SAY SO. To your users, it appears that's exactly what you're planning. But you're operating under false pretenses. You're urinating in our ears and trying to tell us it's cider! It looks like I'll be selling my really cool Gear S (which will only operate with your devices) and moving on to LG.

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The removable battery and sd card isnt a big deal for me, i bounce back and forth between the notes and the motorola droids, and the droids have been that way. I do see why people want them, and yes its annoying to see samsung going this direction.

What i dont like is the glass back, even apple moved away from it.

The pic in the link looks like it could be a note 5, it even has the spot for the spen.

If the note 5 is more like the s6 and less like the note 4, i will probably stay with my droid turbo and see what their offering is this fall.. which is fine w me, because i enjoy both the note phones and the droids.

Looks like all the people who complained about a perfectly good plastic back on the notes may be getting what they wished for..

To be honest, since samsung was toying with their own system to use to move away from android, it wouldnt surprise me at all if that comes up.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well said! The more info I'm seeing about the Note 5 the more I'm going to just hold on to my Note 4 indefinitely and hope Samsung comes back to their senses! If not, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next phone. Your loss Samsung!!!!!
The LG G4 is looking better and better. I'm going to hold on to my Note 4 and see what the next generation LG G looks like. I believe Samsung is making a huge mistake in combining the S and N.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
SEEE, I am Still on the fence about this too. I tried doing a test yesterday to see if I could deal without my SD card. I took it out and started relying on Dropbox, only. About 15 minutes ago, I thought , "Well maybe a phone withOUT removable battery won't be so bad. BUT then it got me thinking the other way, what if the Note 5 all of a sudden froze up , wouldn't respond to any capacitive buttons and restarting the phone didn't work. Would I Have to send it in to Samsung? YEAH I believe so." THEN I started reading other posts about no wifi, or slow Internet speeds. Well yeah I Could download specific movie and music files before going on a trip , plus drag and drop, but if I'm in a hurry well having a SD Card right in my phone would be quicker to access Those said files.

Ugh, I just don't know. Grrr. D**N you Samsung!

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
SEEE, I am Still on the fence about this too. I tried doing a test yesterday to see if I could deal without my SD card. I took it out and started relying on Dropbox, only. About 15 minutes ago, I thought , "Well maybe a phone withOUT removable battery won't be so bad. BUT then it got me thinking the other way, what if the Note 5 all of a sudden froze up , wouldn't respond to any capacitive buttons and restarting the phone didn't work. Would I Have to send it in to Samsung? YEAH I believe so." THEN I started reading other posts about no wifi, or slow Internet speeds. Well yeah I Could download specific movie and music files before going on a trip , plus drag and drop, but if I'm in a hurry well having a SD Card right in my phone would be quicker to access Those said files.

Ugh, I just don't know. Grrr. D**N you Samsung!

What about using the Meenova Mini MicroSD Reader?

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I never thought I would say this I may go back to iphone if the note 5 is not what I expect. I use SD cards like crazy that is very important to me. I could see Samsung losing some people from the note series

Your Friendly Neighbor Verizon Wireless Note 4 LTE 😎

But iphone don't use them either

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
What about using the Meenova Mini MicroSD Reader?

Well, I've read reviews on how the SD card can get stuck inside the reader. The reader itself does look very convenient from videos I watched and the speeds on the Micro Dash seem very quick, but I don't want to ruin my SD card if I can't remove it properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa