08-18-2015 11:35 AM
239 ... 23456 ...
tools
    give the option... that simple. my little $800 isn't hurting samsung, but they aren't getting my money this go round. i paid $750+tax for my note edge and 50 more + tax for oem qi back plate and spare battery kit last year. love it. was willing to pay 1000 for a dual sided note edge spec'd out the same... what did we get two fake iphones. no thank you. lg, moto, or some unknown will get the sale now.
    08-15-2015 08:31 PM
    This is what I use now a day. U can use it via WiFi and has an micro SD card slot in it. I purchased this a few years ago so that I can transfer files to and from my ipad for work purposes. U can stream videos and pics to ur phone or tablet. I much rather use this than to rely on cloud storage. I don't want my personal info out there like that.
    you have to carry it. it shuts off when plugged in to a usb port, it need to be charged.... it's a fail.

i bought one for my car hoping to transfer music from the house without dragging in the drive... turn off the minute you plug it in anything. fail.
    08-15-2015 08:33 PM
    ...life insurance too!

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport
    They make tanks too.

Military grade tanks
    08-15-2015 09:17 PM
    Because they charge more for their internal memory.

You are living with blinders on if you think there is no backlash happening. Try actually looking at what people are saying who not only have been loyal Note users but others as well.

Seriously. ...you think people aren't aware of the SD card? Your sadly mistaken.
    http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk...r-anniversary/

People are not going to get over having to pay more for less. As far as Samsung not investing in the SD card, they have been all along and still are, but can not compete against the likes of Scan Disk and the prices they sell for. The technology hasn't stopped, but growing

Here's something else since you think SD cards are dead...
    http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/design...liability.aspx

The SD card business is steadily moving forward and allowing the consumer resonably priced solutions that the oems like Samsung and Apple hate because it allows more storage for what they could even dream of charging for their "better " solution and this technology is pushing all kinds of phone technology forward.

Samsungs vision is to copy Apple's business model and become as profitable.There is nothing wrong with that, however the problem is that the majority of Android users demand choices and will reject those oems who don't listen to us. HTC is the latest victim of this, and Samsung will be as well in time. Why do you think that the Asian market has the capabilities to use a SD card? Funny that their core group still has the capabilities. ..why do you think that is. ......?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...-cards-1301923

Camera technology is not slowing down and the need for larger storage will become even greater in the near future. Samsung is trying to have the largest ROI by forcing higher priced internal memory. There is absolutely no other reason than this. Most all top tier phones have the capability of utilizing up to 2 TB right now why else would a company elect to gimp their phones? To blindly believe that they are doing this to push technology forward is a joke. Theyare loosing market share and even though they are making good money, they are still loosing money they could have been earning. Add their other looses and those yet to come from their legal troubles, it belies common sense to belive the rubbish you are saying.

There's a old saying we often used in the military back in the 70s went like this. ..don't pee down my back and say it's warm rain...meaning don't try to sell this nonsense to folks who know better. It doesn't work.

Cloud services works fine for some, but for the majority of the world it doesn't quite work out that way, and to propagate a need to use it like Samsung and Apple are doing is bs. Don't say that SD card technology is outdated because that is total fud,it's not outdated it's advancing and becoming greater than it has ever been.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    Hit the nail on the head.

Honestly, I'll be pretty dang pissed if the Note 5 has a dual-SIM variant that has an SD slot.

For me, if I were to get a Note 5, I'll probably wait for Incipio to release the Note 5 version of the OffGRID case that they made for the S6.

I've said it so many times and I'll say it again.

I can live without an SD card if there's a large capacity option that doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

I would buy the Zenfone 2 Deluxe 128GB and it probably won't have an SD card inside, even though it has one.
    KJ78 likes this.
    08-15-2015 09:18 PM
    you have to carry it. it shuts off when plugged in to a usb port, it need to be charged.... it's a fail.

i bought one for my car hoping to transfer music from the house without dragging in the drive... turn off the minute you plug it in anything. fail.
    Um? Don't u need to carry your phone as well? It fits in your small pant pocket, not sure what ur Point is. And why would u need to have it plugged in all the time? I only plug it in To charge it or to transfer stuff to and from my cpu. I transfer what I want then turn it off. The charge on mine lasts a long time. Its not designed for car stereos, they're not smart enough to charge it and use it like a cpu does. Maybe u had a faulty one but it's definitely not a fail in my eyes. Works perfectly for me.
    08-15-2015 09:23 PM
    I had a friend who had every picture from when her daughter was born a few years ago to the honey moon they took on her phone with no sd card. It went black, and never booted again. I hooked it up to a computer, and the phone could not be seen. She used internal phone memory for everything, may it all rest in piece.
    How hard is it to hook your phone to a PC and copy everything over? Those that don't backup their stuff are doomed to lose it.

And what if the SD card had gone bad, and they lost all their stuff? No matter if you have data on a phone, PC, or tablet, backing up is key. Don't go crying the blues when you rely on ONE device to hold all of your stuff and it dies. If you don't backup, you lose.
    mayconvert and feragola like this.
    08-15-2015 10:55 PM
    What a poorly written article ripe with corporate propaganda. And the source...Sammobile? Of course they're going to be praising Samsung over the lack of expandable storage. It's a pro-Samsung website.

The biggest problem with the article: very few people have unlimited data with their phone plans. Streaming movies and music on cell service will eat up my 3GB of data/month in no time.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    08-15-2015 11:38 PM
    Propaganda designed to brainwash the masses into paying for cloud storage and more 4G bandwidth. Free your mind youngsters and don't be a mule you easily lead automatons.

Posted via the Android Central App
    KJ78 likes this.
    08-15-2015 11:43 PM
    How hard is it to hook your phone to a PC and copy everything over? Those that don't backup their stuff are doomed to lose it.

And what if the SD card had gone bad, and they lost all their stuff? No matter if you have data on a phone, PC, or tablet, backing up is key. Don't go crying the blues when you rely on ONE device to hold all of your stuff and it dies. If you don't backup, you lose.
    Call me a storage freak, but I have a bazillion storage options for my G4 alone. There are just a few
    • My 150GB Google Drive
    • Google Photos unlimited backup
    • My 1TB gaming PC and 250GB MacBook Pro
    • My 128GB SanDisk Ultra microSD card
    • My 32GB SanDisk Ultra OTG Drive
    • A 1TB WD My Book external hard-drive
    • My OneDrive

And there's more. I'm crazy
    08-15-2015 11:56 PM
    Woozers, damn good post. My exact sentiments..

Same here, right down to the pee and warm rain.
    08-15-2015 11:57 PM
    TI think its better to have local storage, and cloud as a backup rather than a MicroSD card as your local storage.
    While I think it's better to have all three and the options.
    08-15-2015 11:59 PM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Meenova, folks. Dash micro, plug and go. They're dirt cheap and clip to your keychain, wear it on a piece of string around your neck.
    What'll they think of next? A three-inch-long dongle to carry with us so we can plug it in and get online?

I'm frankly appalled. In spite of living in a very heavily populated region (by US standards), I've never once lived in a place where I've had consistently reliable 3G, 4G or LTE connectivity. How can Samsung even think of doing this when so many places in the world don't even have good 4G connectivity, or even 3G?

I'm the one who always wonders, whenever I see a carrier or OEM commercial on TV, where the hell these people live that they can download and watch movies on the mobile network...
    08-16-2015 12:30 AM
    What'll they think of next? A three-inch-long dongle to carry with us so we can plug it in and get online?

I'm frankly appalled. In spite of living in a very heavily populated region (by US standards), I've never once lived in a place where I've had consistently reliable 3G, 4G or LTE connectivity. How can Samsung even think of doing this when so many places in the world don't even have good 4G connectivity, or even 3G?

I'm the one who always wonders, whenever I see a carrier or OEM commercial on TV, where the hell these people live that they can download and watch movies on the mobile network...
    Well, Incipio has a pretty bulky case that has a large external battery and a microSD card slot for the S6 called the offGRID.

They might make one for the Note 5.

Not the most elegant solution but if all phones do away with the SD card slot, it's what I'd use.
    08-16-2015 12:34 AM
    There are other phones that give you those options. If you want those options, bring your wallet over there.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-16-2015 12:41 AM
    Propaganda designed to brainwash the masses into paying for cloud storage and more 4G bandwidth. Free your mind youngsters and don't be a mule you easily lead automatons.

Or just buy another phone.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-16-2015 12:44 AM
    This is what I use now a day. U can use it via WiFi and has an micro SD card slot in it. I purchased this a few years ago so that I can transfer files to and from my ipad for work purposes. U can stream videos and pics to ur phone or tablet. I much rather use this than to rely on cloud storage. I don't want my personal info out there like that.
    Please provide link. I like that. Nevermind, I found it on Amazon and just purchased.
    TechGod2014 likes this.
    08-16-2015 01:24 AM
    Propaganda. The tech companies are attempting to get you permanently married to them.
    Think recurring costs and subscriptions.
    linzgeneral likes this.
    08-16-2015 06:06 AM
    I use google drive for work only, and Verizon cloud for my contacts, and that's it.

I have an OTG cable for flash drives, and im pretty good about backing up photos and such to my laptop and tablet.

Yes it's annoying they got rid of sd cards, but its not really difficult to work around, and to do it in a way that does not require spending money or worrying about the security of clouds.

My opinion, yours may vary.

08-16-2015 06:24 AM
    give the option... that simple. my little $800 isn't hurting samsung, but they aren't getting my money this go round. i paid $750+tax for my note edge and 50 more + tax for oem qi back plate and spare battery kit last year. love it. was willing to pay 1000 for a dual sided note edge spec'd out the same... what did we get two fake iphones. no thank you. lg, moto, or some unknown will get the sale now.
    Offline question, but was the back plate worth it? I have the Note Edge currently and have heard any sort of case makes the wireless charging a pain. I keep a gel case on it to protect the metal bezel.
    08-16-2015 06:43 AM
    To those saying what if your phone bricks and no more microSD, two words: Google Photos.
    mayconvert likes this.
    08-16-2015 06:52 AM
    I use google drive for work only, and Verizon cloud for my contacts, and that's it.

I have an OTG cable for flash drives, and im pretty good about backing up photos and such to my laptop and tablet.

Yes it's annoying they got rid of sd cards, but its not really difficult to work around, and to do it in a way that does not require spending money or worrying about the security of clouds.

My opinion, yours may vary.

I here you and I'm sure most of us know it's not difficult to find a work around. The problem is the need to find a work around when an included SD card slot would have been so easy to have left in. If and when we no longer have options then I'll have to limit myself to such a work around. For now, my money (and many others) will go to a phone that isn't purposely handicapped.

08-16-2015 07:20 AM
    I've been reading these threads for the past couple of days since ordering my N5. People are saying they will not get the phone, going to a different phone, how it's not as good as this phone or that phone, or, how it's no more different now than an iPhone. I have some questions that hopefully the group here can answer.

How many other high end phones now no longer support SD cards? The iPhone never had one to begin with.
    How many High end phones have writing recognition and support a true usable stylus? This I have no idea about.
    How many charge such a premium for internal memory? How many incorporate large memory up front as a baseline?

I've been reading a lot of complaints here, and I feel much the same way about, the lack of removable battery, SD card support, amount of on board memory. But, I'm actually curious and cannot find any discussion about, is the battery really going to be an issue? Is SD support going away anyway due to Androids own mandate?

I remember reading a few years ago about the advent of the Mobile 64bit architecture and one of the main reasons given on how it was a major increase was that it used less battery power to do the same things. Just like how, the number of running apps you have decrease the power quickly, the quicker those apps do what they need to do, the less power they use to do them. Simply put. I don't remember all the technical details given.

Since KitKat, Android has pretty much disabled full functionality and accessibility to external storage. You used to be able to install your apps to the SD Card so it didn't take up the faster on board memory. I'm one of those who didn't mind "slower access" to my files and such and wasn't happy when I woke up one morning to find that my Note had been upgraded from ICS to KK. Android is probably never again going to allow installation of programs on external memory.

I really don't know because I don't keep up with the technology until I get ready to upgrade which isn't that often.
    08-16-2015 10:02 AM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Meenova, folks. Dash micro, plug and go. They're dirt cheap and clip to your keychain, wear it on a piece of string around your neck. 😊
    I've never seen this one. thx for the heads up, this is perfect!
    08-16-2015 10:23 AM
    Johnmcd348, i agree with your post. Motorola hasn't used sd cards in several years, and i really feel they have only re introduced the option because Samsung quit. I could be wrong.

I really hope above all else the battery lasts longer w the new 64bit stuff.

I am really considering the note5 at this point because i miss having a note. However, i do not need it lol, as the droid turbo i am on works fine lol.. Even w out sd card or removable battery lol.

08-16-2015 10:26 AM
    SD card made sense years ago when internal storage was tiny like 512MB on my previous Samsung Epic 4G but considering it can't fully be used for apps along with having lost data from prematurely dying Sandisk SD cards I won't miss it. I'd rather have 64GB or 128GB of fast reliable internal storage. Also, it's one less license that Microsoft can leech off of Android.
    ThrottleJohnny likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:31 AM
239 ... 23456 ...