Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If anyone asks why I need a lot of local storage.....

Attachments

• 1439866751280.jpg
    1439866751280.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1439866767594.jpg
    1439866767594.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The Note 6 will have...

15GB dedicated memory for OS and system apps
200GB dedicated memory for user apps, photos, music, etc
Removable/replaceable battery
No glass back cover
IR Blaster returned
All for $800US (Samsung... make it cheap and more will buy!)

The Note 6 will fly like a bat outta hell with the OS separated, no one will have any complaints about removable batteries, SD cards will be forgotten and Note 4 users will look forward to the "upgrade"!

In my dreams!

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is the first time I won't buy the next Note iteration, I went to B.B. and formed my own opinion of the Note V. However, local storage is important to me. The Slave I kept local storage, and if that's a standard for Bobba Fett then I want my phone to do the same.

But I'm a dreamer, or am i? I hope the rumors about the LG G4 Pro (5.8 screen, memory slot, detachable battery ((although that isn't a total deal breaker)), and a stylus ((the most important)) are true, because if so then my time as a Samsung man are done - for now at least.

Posted via the Android Central App

magellanous

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The cloud is all well and good if you can access it but, despite what carriers think, there are many situations in which it is inaccessible due to coverage or over-crowded cell sites. And wifi isn't everywhere either. Additionally, why would anyone think it was acceptable to have one company push cloud based storage solutions at a time when carriers are charging per gigabyte? If anything, now is when micro SD should be the norm as opposed to five years ago when unlimited data plans were much more accessible.
I need a device that can be productive on or off a network. Otherwise it's just a camera.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Bull Hockey

Samsung is pushing it's internal memory for financial gains, not for anything else.

5g is meaningless for the bulk of the world, and taking away the SD card will backlash on them.

There are new standards being developed to make SD cards as fast and reliable, not to mention giving almost unlimited swappable storage. The problem comes from the market and cheaper prices for SD cards, and Samsung not being able to compete in this,instead they make the change to fixed amounts of overpriced internal memory and charge premium prices for it,all the while counting on the masses jumping off the same cliff and believing that Samsung is doing this to push technology forward. What a frigging joke.

You can be gullible if you want to, but don't try to sell this crapola to me.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Yes samsung is in the business to make money? ? That's why you go to work very day right . . Also the technical fact is sd card are slower big deal for the millions of folks that play games on there phone

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

I'm pretty sure that LG is loving that .01% Samsung cast offs. I know in our family we went from four Samsungs to four LG G4's, and based on everyone around me that were getting new phones (this was over three different days) MANY other people were jumping on the LG band wagon as well. We will see if Samsung only loses .01% when it is all said and done, because I think Samsung has overplayed their cards.

Most that are looking at the g4 is doing mostly for the cost difference . But you don't what to compare the number of gs6 sells to the g4 do you . It's not close . Hey the g4 is a good phone but the average Joe's don't make that big a deal bout the cd card and battery thing . That's mostly a problem for the small group of geeks

Bobby_Phoenix

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Most that are looking at the g4 is doing mostly for the cost difference . But you don't what to compare the number of gs6 sells to the g4 do you . It's not close . Hey the g4 is a good phone but the average Joe's don't make that big a deal bout the cd card and battery thing . That's mostly a problem for the small group of geeks

That's pretty true, and the fact is that small group of geeks is what made the Note line so popular. SD and removable battery. Now that they don't have either the Note line will greatly decline, and that small group of geeks will flock to other devices that have what is needed. The G4 didn't sell like the Note 4 sure, but I'm sure some of the geeks waited to see what the Note 5 would bring, and since it didn't bring it, other phones will pick up sales.

Superguy25

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
For you.

Not for everyone.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

So why is it so hard to see that there are people who like the SD card and others could care less? It's not a matter of being a dinosaur or resistant to change. It's that our usage models are different.

I don't see why an SD card slot can't be put in. Their relatively cheap to add. If you want to use it, it's there. If you don't, then rely on an internal storage. No one's forcing anyone to use it.

The OTG solutions are clunky and have additional cost. I don't want to have to carry around an additional device to have the same capability I've had for years. Good for those that don't mind, but I see it as a solution looking for a problem.

I don't have unlimited data, and I don't have a great signal every where I go. Cloud data isn't so hot when you leave the country and have to get a new SIM card, potentially with limited data as well. Then you have the additional latency from going across the pond. That also completely ignores the time in transit on the plane when no WiFi is available, or if it is, it's expensive and slow.

There's also the economics - from the consumer point of view. The way I see it, I can pick up a 32 GB card for $15 or I can pay the manufacturer another $100 for a bit faster version. I can get SSDs that are faster and have more capacity than for less than that difference. I'm ok with the performance hit - I don't notice it most of the time anyway.

But being forced to pay $900 to have similar storage to what I have in my $650 phone? No.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

That's pretty true, and the fact is that small group of geeks is what made the Note line so popular. SD and removable battery. Now that they don't have either the Note line will greatly decline, and that small group of geeks will flock to other devices that have what is needed. The G4 didn't sell like the Note 4 sure, but I'm sure some of the geeks waited to see what the Note 5 would bring, and since it didn't bring it, other phones will pick up sales.

That part I bolded and underlined? It isn't a fact, its something you invented and have no support for whatsoever. The note line is popular because people wanted bigger better smartphone screens; Samsung's own market research showed that. Most of the people that bought them don't care about the S Pen, and have no idea what removable batteries or sd cards are. You are drastically overestimating the percentage of the Note line's sales that go to phone geeks vs. regular joes who just like the big bright screen, or soccer moms who were tired of apple for whatever reason.

You are correct that a small group of geeks will flock to other devices that meet their needs better. I think thats great. From what I've read the new LG pro device is going to be a great successor to the Note 4. But don't fool yourself into thinking that will have much of anything to do with the Note 5's sales. You are talking about a tiny niche of a niche group.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So why is it so hard to see that there are people who like the SD card and others could care less? It's not a matter of being a dinosaur or resistant to change. It's that our usage models are different.

I don't see why an SD card slot can't be put in. Their relatively cheap to add. If you want to use it, it's there. If you don't, then rely on an internal storage. No one's forcing anyone to use it.

The OTG solutions are clunky and have additional cost. I don't want to have to carry around an additional device to have the same capability I've had for years. Good for those that don't mind, but I see it as a solution looking for a problem.

I don't have unlimited data, and I don't have a great signal every where I go. Cloud data isn't so hot when you leave the country and have to get a new SIM card, potentially with limited data as well. Then you have the additional latency from going across the pond. That also completely ignores the time in transit on the plane when no WiFi is available, or if it is, it's expensive and slow.

There's also the economics - from the consumer point of view. The way I see it, I can pick up a 32 GB card for $15 or I can pay the manufacturer another $100 for a bit faster version. I can get SSDs that are faster and have more capacity than for less than that difference. I'm ok with the performance hit - I don't notice it most of the time anyway.

But being forced to pay $900 to have similar storage to what I have in my $650 phone? No.

From what I've heard, the UFS memory controller doesn't work with SD cards.

I think it's gonna be a while until Samsung solves this.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Forced? No one forced to buy anything.

Richard_M

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
OMG! Sorry, but this is so much bull!

"Future is now"?
No! That's just marketing bull!
Future is future and now is now!

99% don't want to pay 10 times the price for storage capacity
99% don't have unlimited data plans
99% don't have full LTE-A all the time and everywhere
[a lot]% don't want to save their personal data somewhere in the could
99% don't have Gigabit Upload speed
[a lot]% don't want to be limited to ~100GB or even much less (no 128GB model of the Note 5!)

For those who believe, they are already arrived in the future: go ahead and save your life in the cloud!
An SDcard(-slot) will not block you from using cloud storage!

Superguy25

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You can use an SD card on the dual SIM version. The slot can either handle another SIM card or an SD card (an adapter appears to be needed though).

Ry said:
Forced? No one forced to buy anything.

Geez. I'm talking about being forced to choose between keeping an SD card and needing to upgrade to the next Note. I never said anyone was pointing a gun at someone's head and saying buy it. Nice strawman, though. :rolleyes:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Geez. I'm talking about being forced to choose between keeping an SD card and needing to upgrade to the next Note. I never said anyone was pointing a gun at someone's head and saying buy it. Nice strawman, though. :rolleyes:

No one is forced to upgrade to the next Note.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This thread is devolving into the other SD battery thread. The other comments centered on feedback regarding those features can be redirected there.

Thanks everyone.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d