Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought this made sense, and its a pretty good read.

MicroSD cards are famous for their massive storage capabilities, and they have become a favorite among the Samsung faithful. The idea of storing your Google Play movies and music onto your Galaxy Note 4, for example, without worrying about a data connection or Wi-Fi is a staple treasure of many a Samsung customer.

At the same time, however, keep in mind what I said above: Samsung is a tech company. Yes, they’re in a consumer-driven market where consumer needs and preferences must be taken into account (companies can’t make money if they don’t consider their customers); however, Samsung is a tech company for a reason. Its goal is to drive technology forward, to take us into the next frontier of technological progress before other companies. It’s why the company pushed wider displays, called “phablets,” before other companies did; why the company’s pushed its stunning AMOLED displays, and even smartwatches in the current market. It’s why Samsung’s also pushed mobile photography and videography from HD (720p) to Full HD (1080p) to Ultra HD resolutions. The Korean manufacturer hasn’t done it with the goal of copying other companies, contrary to disgruntled claims, but because it has a strong belief in technology and its benefits and wants to be a leader in the right direction.

MicroSD cards have been a trend for a long time, but they are on their way out. You can see this with Samsung’s 5G wireless push, in which the company hopes to combine Wi-Fi and LTE to create a faster, wireless network. Why is Samsung pushing wireless tech? Because the future “Galaxy” the Korean manufacturer conquers will be one in which wireless is the sum total of everything; everything will be wireless, including our movies, photos, music, and so on. In other words, remote access has greater potential to make use of 5G wireless speeds, as opposed to microSD card slots that don’t really mandate wireless data speeds at all.

Wireless speeds mandate the use of remote access to data, a feat that can best be accomplished by way of cloud storage. And even Google is moving in this direction: why would Google offer Google Drive cloud storage in the first place if Android’s owner didn’t agree with the move to cloud storage? And as for Android M, don’t get your hopes up: yeah, Google will allow you to still have your microSD card, but your microSD card will be encrypted and restricted to only one device. That restriction is not the wave of the future, but a sign of the nostalgic past – despite its benefits. Google’s move to encrypt microSD cards shows that even Mountain View considers microSD cards as a security risk (it’s like someone who fixes a roof leak because he or she foresees a flooded home should it rain six inches or more tomorrow).

MicroSD cards stem from a time when desktop computers were the way everyone lived, in which you had a local hard drive and CD-ROM discs on which to store your files, photos, and other information. Desktops are not yet obsolete, but they are on their way out because of the portability of mobile devices.

With mobile becoming the present wave of tech, the future is only going to make us more mobile. Samsung’s next frontier or next “Galaxy” is all about removing our dependence on local storage as the “ultimate” storage space, and taking us to a place where the cloud frees us to be anywhere at any time with access to everything. It is what being truly mobile is all about. MicroSD cards and card slots do not fit into what it means to be truly mobile or truly wireless. Instead, they are reminiscent of the PC era in which desktops and laptops reigned supreme. Lastly, the company known for its Knox security (on which Google’s Android for Work is based) is one that would know about the security risks that microSD cards pose to current Galaxy S and Note users.

In short, Samsung’s newest campaign with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge says it all: “the future is now.” What does this mean for Samsung users? It means that the future of wireless technology, the cloud, is now, a present part of Samsung’s vision. While you may want cloud technology to wait for about 5 years, it’s not going to. Samsung is pushing forward with it now, and the Galaxy Note 5 could be the first device to turn the tide. As we’ve stated time and time again, Incipio’s new microSD card case will only serve Samsung’s purpose: to eliminate microSD card slots as a necessary component of smartphone hardware.

Companies that wait for 3-5 years before debuting trending technology aren’t doing the hard work – they’re simply soaking up the customer sales, which is no different than a student who gets the math answer right because he picks answer 4 after watching three other students wrongly guess answers 1, 2, and 3. That’s not Samsung. Companies that stand on the sidelines and wait until others try and fail before capitalizing on their mistakes may be popular, but they’re not innovative.

And Samsung is more concerned with being innovative.

Evobyte

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Hate to break it to you but most of these old timers don't believe in the future lol they think SD cards and removable battery are the future. Nice read and I'm loving what Samsung has done to the note 5.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I thought this made sense, and its a pretty good read.

MicroSD cards are famous for their massive storage capabilities, and they have become a favorite among the Samsung faithful. The idea of storing your Google Play movies and music onto your Galaxy Note 4, for example, without worrying about a data connection or Wi-Fi is a staple treasure of many a Samsung customer.

At the same time, however, keep in mind what I said above: Samsung is a tech company. Yes, they’re in a consumer-driven market where consumer needs and preferences must be taken into account (companies can’t make money if they don’t consider their customers); however, Samsung is a tech company for a reason. Its goal is to drive technology forward, to take us into the next frontier of technological progress before other companies. It’s why the company pushed wider displays, called “phablets,” before other companies did; why the company’s pushed its stunning AMOLED displays, and even smartwatches in the current market. It’s why Samsung’s also pushed mobile photography and videography from HD (720p) to Full HD (1080p) to Ultra HD resolutions. The Korean manufacturer hasn’t done it with the goal of copying other companies, contrary to disgruntled claims, but because it has a strong belief in technology and its benefits and wants to be a leader in the right direction.

MicroSD cards have been a trend for a long time, but they are on their way out. You can see this with Samsung’s 5G wireless push, in which the company hopes to combine Wi-Fi and LTE to create a faster, wireless network. Why is Samsung pushing wireless tech? Because the future “Galaxy” the Korean manufacturer conquers will be one in which wireless is the sum total of everything; everything will be wireless, including our movies, photos, music, and so on. In other words, remote access has greater potential to make use of 5G wireless speeds, as opposed to microSD card slots that don’t really mandate wireless data speeds at all.

Wireless speeds mandate the use of remote access to data, a feat that can best be accomplished by way of cloud storage. And even Google is moving in this direction: why would Google offer Google Drive cloud storage in the first place if Android’s owner didn’t agree with the move to cloud storage? And as for Android M, don’t get your hopes up: yeah, Google will allow you to still have your microSD card, but your microSD card will be encrypted and restricted to only one device. That restriction is not the wave of the future, but a sign of the nostalgic past – despite its benefits. Google’s move to encrypt microSD cards shows that even Mountain View considers microSD cards as a security risk (it’s like someone who fixes a roof leak because he or she foresees a flooded home should it rain six inches or more tomorrow).

MicroSD cards stem from a time when desktop computers were the way everyone lived, in which you had a local hard drive and CD-ROM discs on which to store your files, photos, and other information. Desktops are not yet obsolete, but they are on their way out because of the portability of mobile devices.

With mobile becoming the present wave of tech, the future is only going to make us more mobile. Samsung’s next frontier or next “Galaxy” is all about removing our dependence on local storage as the “ultimate” storage space, and taking us to a place where the cloud frees us to be anywhere at any time with access to everything. It is what being truly mobile is all about. MicroSD cards and card slots do not fit into what it means to be truly mobile or truly wireless. Instead, they are reminiscent of the PC era in which desktops and laptops reigned supreme. Lastly, the company known for its Knox security (on which Google’s Android for Work is based) is one that would know about the security risks that microSD cards pose to current Galaxy S and Note users.

In short, Samsung’s newest campaign with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge says it all: “the future is now.” What does this mean for Samsung users? It means that the future of wireless technology, the cloud, is now, a present part of Samsung’s vision. While you may want cloud technology to wait for about 5 years, it’s not going to. Samsung is pushing forward with it now, and the Galaxy Note 5 could be the first device to turn the tide. As we’ve stated time and time again, Incipio’s new microSD card case will only serve Samsung’s purpose: to eliminate microSD card slots as a necessary component of smartphone hardware.

Companies that wait for 3-5 years before debuting trending technology aren’t doing the hard work – they’re simply soaking up the customer sales, which is no different than a student who gets the math answer right because he picks answer 4 after watching three other students wrongly guess answers 1, 2, and 3. That’s not Samsung. Companies that stand on the sidelines and wait until others try and fail before capitalizing on their mistakes may be popular, but they’re not innovative.

And Samsung is more concerned with being innovative.

samsung isn't just a technology company LMAO they make washer dryers, refrigerators and other things.

Posted via the Android Central App

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

Coca Cola tried that many years ago. They left the tried and proven and came out with "New Coke", after the population rebelled and they lost a huge market share, they renamed the same old Coke "Coke Classic", and learned their lesson. Maybe Samsung will realize their mistake, and name the Note 5 version 2 "Note Classic" now featuring the micro SD and removable battery.

Claiming that others who give consumers what they need is not slowing progress, it's filling a needed product where one company decided to deprive a section of the population with features they need.

It's also nice when your phone bricks, and you pull out the sd card and recover your important data. I had a friend who had every picture from when her daughter was born a few years ago to the honey moon they took on her phone with no sd card. It went black, and never booted again. I hooked it up to a computer, and the phone could not be seen. She used internal phone memory for everything, may it all rest in piece. Some prefer not to give online backup companies their personal data, but don't mind keeping it on the SD card.

In other words, Hello LG G4 Pro

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing I found interesting was this:

"Google will allow you to still have your microSD card, but your microSD card will be encrypted and restricted to only one device. "

I didn't know Google was planning to do this

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

Coca Cola tried that many years ago. They left the tried and proven and came out with "New Coke", after the population rebelled and they lost a huge market share, they renamed the same old Coke "Coke Classic", and learned their lesson. Maybe Samsung will realize their mistake, and name the Note 5 version 2 "Note Classic" now featuring the micro SD and removable battery.

Claiming that others who give consumers what they need is not slowing progress, it's filling a needed product where one company decided to deprive a section of the population with features they need.

In other words, Hello LG G4 Pro

I don't think you can compare Coca-Cola to Samsung :D ,two different markets and totally different products

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I don't think you can compare Coca-Cola to Samsung :D ,two different markets and totally different products
Sure I can, two companies that made marketing mistakes. Coca Cola learned the value of listening to customers and correcting for market needs, lets see if Samsung learns this lesson.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Sure I can, two companies that made marketing mistakes. Coca Cola learned the value of listening to customers and correcting for market needs, lets see if Samsung learns this lesson.

The difference would be that with Coke, the public revolted and they lost SUBSTANTIAL market share. With the Note, very few people even know that it is different, let alone care. The .01% of Samsung users that are the NO SD AND/OR NO REMOVABLE BATTERY = NO BUY crowd aren't going to cause a market share change of any kind.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

We shall see. It really doesn't matter to Samsung, phones are not their only product. They make the best Televisions, they make laptops, tablets, etc. It will hurt their market in this area, and once they lose a customer to another line, they may never return once they are satisfied with the new mfg.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

The difference would be that with Coke, the public revolted and they lost SUBSTANTIAL market share. With the Note, very few people even know that it is different, let alone care. The .01% of Samsung users that are the NO SD AND/OR NO REMOVABLE BATTERY = NO BUY crowd aren't going to cause a market share change of any kind.
I am sure hoping that is Not true, but Very Sadly, you might be right!

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Thankfully my Note 4 is running perfectly fine and once the time comes for me to buy a new phone, I know the Note 4 will be my last Samsung phone, unless Samsung changes and goes back to it's roots with the Note 6.

Otherwise, I'll gladly continue to enjoy the high speeds, low price and easy storage of the sd card. Samsung is doing the things I disliked the iPhone's for.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Probably. But the power user of the Note line, don't have the same reasons to stay. The average Note user, the one that rarely uses the S-Pen and only bought it because of the screen size, they may see the high price and decide to buy an iPhone 6s+ for the same price, since they may see more value in Apple, or save money and buy a Moto X Style. There is far more competition out there now for Samsung to compete against, they don't have the fanbase Apple has to be doing these things.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Well, my Note4 will be my last Samsung smartphone. They have misjudged the market greatly by not even giving me the opportunity to buy a Note5 as I live in England. Edge 6+ does nothing for me.

I suppose you would class me as the minuscule percentage that don't matter to Samsung. I do as I have other Samsung products in the house but I will question my loyalty to the brand when LG comes to me via a G4..

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that a year ago when Google came out with Android M, they took away a SD card support. This cost Samsung to start developing devices without that slot. Now you are saying those devices come to market and Google kind of backpedaled and gave people some of that back in Android 5.1. It would naturally take some time for Samsung to put SD card slot back in devices. Samsung recently has kept a close relationship with Google so they know the way things are going to trend. That is just my 2 cents.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered my Note5 today to replace my Note2 device that I've had since a few days after it first came out. I didn't get the Note4 because, by the time I started thinking about upgrading, I knew the Note5 was coming out shortly so I waited. I figure I'll give the 64gb N5 a year and see how I do without the extra storage. If it turns out I need it more than I thought, I'll go to a Note4 that'll be a dime a dozen by then.

I'm one of those who like to store large files, Books, Movies, Music(FLAC format) on the card since the rather limited onboard memory was just enough to slow down the system once it got close to being full.

I do hope that the Note6 or even the Note7 will have support returned.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hail to the future my note 5 is on the way . The two big dogs have started the trend soon all will follow . It's a amazing how close minded some of these so called tech folks are on here . Technology is moving forward ether get on are get run over

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Bull Hockey

Samsung is pushing it's internal memory for financial gains, not for anything else.

5g is meaningless for the bulk of the world, and taking away the SD card will backlash on them.

There are new standards being developed to make SD cards as fast and reliable, not to mention giving almost unlimited swappable storage. The problem comes from the market and cheaper prices for SD cards, and Samsung not being able to compete in this,instead they make the change to fixed amounts of overpriced internal memory and charge premium prices for it,all the while counting on the masses jumping off the same cliff and believing that Samsung is doing this to push technology forward. What a frigging joke.

You can be gullible if you want to, but don't try to sell this crapola to me.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is pushing it's internal memory for financial gains, not for anything else.

This seems contrary to all information released so far. What's this based on?

5g is meaningless for the bulk of the world

I agree with this.. but

and taking away the SD card will backlash on them

So far there has been no backlash and none is expected now.

There are new standards being developed to make SD cards as fast and reliable, not to mention giving almost unlimited swappable storage.

There are? Like what?

The problem comes from the market and cheaper prices for SD cards, and Samsung not being able to compete in this,instead they make the change to fixed amounts of overpriced internal memory and charge premium prices for it,all the while counting on the masses jumping off the same cliff and believing that Samsung is doing this to push technology forward.

This seems to be a restatement of the original premise - still confused on why you think this. Over the last several years the industry has been steadily moving away from SD cards due to the security concerns, unreliability and the general degradation of an already poor experience (slowing down devices, causing software bugs that otherwise don't exist, users losing data, memories, etc). Samsung, apparently just like all of the other OEM's, seems to have looked at their research and made a business decision based on the massive volume of users that do not care about this feature - at all.

Coupled with the restrictions that Android already and will continue to place on this media, the amount of expense that Samsung has to sink into this feature is surely not worth it - given the concept that most users don't even seem to know whether or not a device has an SD card slot, let alone have any intention of making a purchase decision based on that one feature. The four highest selling devices of 2015 will not have this feature - and losing .01% of potential users, half of whom are going to get over it and realize that they can survive on 64GB - isn't a risk even worth considering - let alone crippling their strategy for.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, Samsung is truly an innovating company. Most of their phones have brought out technologies that no other company has done, and they continue to do so . Im sure they understand that no many will be on board with their changes, but they are pushing technology forward

I do believe the world will become one where all media is wireless, and Samsung is preparing for that. People were complaining about Samsung used QHD and having their phones record in 2K because "there were no 2K TV's out yet", but Samsung has been ahead of the game. People are just not used to the change, but things will catch up.

Now the Note 5 and S6 Edge+ can record in 4K. Sure not many people will have 4K TVs, but again Samsung is thinking ahead. This one thing I like about Samsung.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, Samsung is truly an innovating company. Most of their phones have brought out technologies that no other company has done, and they continue to do so . Im sure they understand that no many will be on board with their changes, but they are pushing technology forward

I do believe the world will become one where all media is wireless, and Samsung is preparing for that. People were complaining about Samsung used QHD and having their phones record in 2K because "there were no 2K TV's out yet", but Samsung has been ahead of the game. People are just not used to the change, but things will catch up.

Now the Note 5 and S6 Edge+ can record in 4K. Sure not many people will have 4K TVs, but again Samsung is thinking ahead. This one thing I like about Samsung.

Other smartphones do 4k video right? So this isn't innovation by Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.