Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Really......?

And how did you come to know that fewer people use them than don't ?

I will save you the trouble...these oems that overcharge for fixed internal memory.

Look at the number of Android devices sold with them as opposed to those without. Apple doesn't count because those who use iPhone's have never been able to use them. Again this is 1 Oem that overcharges it's customers and has brainwashed the majority on that platform they don't need them and they should be glad to overpay to be worthy of using the device. All you have to do is look at the sales for the SD cards and you will see more people actually use them than don't.

Some of the manufacturers know that to sell devices they have to offer what everyone wants, not just a few. HTC is hurting because they didn't really listen to what was being said on this side of the pond, and gimped their USA phones by not releasing their real flagship here. Now accordingly Samsung is doing the same thing and mark my words if they don't release the dual sim phone that can use the SD card their sales will suffer greatly for it.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

well, considering there are 7 billion people on earth, I think it's safe to say 3.5 billion don't own SD cards.

seriously though, in 2012 SD cards were a $25 billion industry. I agree that it's a huge business and it's not going away anytime soon, but it still means less than half of people don't use SD cards.

There are approximately 1 billion Android users BTW. And I will admit that the number is WAY higher than I expected. I'd have guessed about 10% but obviously it's way higher.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
well, considering there are 7 billion people on earth, I think it's safe to say 3.5 billion don't own SD cards. sorry I don't have a link to support that claim, and I know I'm going out on a limb there, but I have a feeling I might be right about that ... unless SanDisk puts out a press release that says otherwise.

I think we should cool our heads for a bit before this site becomes "Removable Battery and SD card slot Central"

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
While not usually elegant, USB OTG can more than make up for the lack of SD card support.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

A solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist and shouldn't exist.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think we should cool our heads for a bit before this site becomes "Removable Battery and SD card slot Central"

I was changing my wording (as I often do after reading my post) as you were probably typing this! was trying to be funny but realized I came across as a **** ... I'll disagree with his calculation, but his overall point is surprisingly accurate. I'd have never guessed the SD card industry was so huge.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also keep in mind that the primary uses for SD cards is not smart phones. They are used more in photography and more traditional personal computers and have some strong relevance in those areas.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Also keep in mind that the primary uses for SD cards is not smart phones. They are used more in photography and more traditional personal computers and have some strong relevance in those areas.

good point. the problem is estimating what percentage of Android phones have SD cards.

I don't want to act like I'm disagreeing, and there no way to calculate who's right and who's wrong, I really don't care anyway so we'll agree to disagree.

The bigger point is there's a ton of Android users that use SD cards, certainly a lot more than I would've guessed after looking into the facts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If we assume that half of all active Android devices are "low" to "mid" priced devices, it may be safe to assume that those devices may include SD card support to make up for lower specifications.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot - and in markets where data is more limited, it is more important to have this option - similarly to markets that get many dual Sim devices while we get few to none.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Idk why some people talk about other markets having SD Cards so the U.S. should have them
The mobile market in the U.S. is probably one of the most technologically advanced, and in the U.S. soon im sure will be a mostly wireless country
Some cities have free city-wide wifi, and cars now have wifi. I'm sure in the future Wifi would be accessible almost anywhere for free even walking in the park or shopping in a grocery market. You guys might as well get used to this now while its fresh

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If you ask me, I prefer choice.

The perfect phone for me will have large amounts of fast internal storage while also having an optional SD card slot if you happen to be like me and store lots of media on your phone.

Frankly, I like choice, but it seems to be a rarity now.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Idk why some people talk about other markets having SD Cards so the U.S. should have them
The mobile market in the U.S. is probably one of the most technologically advanced, and in the U.S. soon im sure will be a mostly wireless country
Some cities have free city-wide wifi, and cars now have wifi. I'm sure in the future Wifi would be accessible almost anywhere for free even walking in the park or shopping in a grocery market. You guys might as well get used to this now while its fresh

Well that's not really how it is here. There are lots of places that have wifi, but there are more that don't and plenty of areas that never will. It's a great big country with hundreds of miles of wide open areas

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

cybertec69

Banned
Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

The smartphone is a mini personal computer with a camera.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cybertec69

Banned
Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't believe for a second these manufacturers BS, it's more cloud storage they are trying to sell you, and they are in cahoots with the telcos who are trying to sell you more data, they all work together, if you don't think that is the case, then you have been sleeping under a rock.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
That is why I am staying with the Note 4. I have a ton of FLAC files,movies and pictures on my 128gb SD car will goto the 200gb as soon as price goes down. Plus I ALWAYS have a spare fully charged battery with me, I feel naked without out one. On long trips I carry 2 spares!

JaxChris

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You may think that the US is first in wireless technology, and I wish it were true, but you would be incorrect. The US has a big problem with land mass getting in the way of wide-scale rollouts.

S. Korea is currently number one in wireless and broadband technology. Their bandwidth speeds on every carrier outpace our best carriers here in the US, wireless or not (Google Fiber doesn't count because they don't cover a majority of any city they have entered yet). Western Europe would be 2nd place. Though they are tortured with usage caps, VAT & horrible utility-tax based pricing systems the EuroZone does have a marketplace which removes phones from the carriers control.

Here in the US we have carriers that have systematically removed features and choices from their customers. Those of us that have been technophiles the longest remember there used to be FM chips in most phones, removable storage and replaceable batteries. There were even stylus pens in the phones, IR transceivers and full sized applications that didn't require cloud computing. We had unlimited plans on every carrier, our privacy was respected, our lives were not mined for data and ads did not exist on our phones.

HTC was the darling company of so many of us ubergeeks. They used to listen to us. We wanted the latest hardware feature and they provided it on the next phone. We wanted to customize our experience and they let us. Then things took a dark turn. Carriers wanted to monetize every aspect of your cellular experience. No more FM radios, no more unlimited data, starting their own craptastic services and restricting usage of other products. HTC was among the first to comply. And their marketshare dropped to companies that held out a little longer. Next HTC though they could win on style over everything else. But in doing so they abandoned the people that had trusted them since the PPC-6600. No more replaceable battery, no removable storage and all the new features we wanted were passed over in favor of a camera. Instead of that camera and metal back, they should have kept the polycarbonate unibody and added wireless charging.

Now Samsung wants to take the same dire road. Apple tells their sheep what they want. HTC tried and got burned. Samsung wants to try it now, after years of saying they aren't Apple, and they will lose sales too.

The market is cooling. Every major market has reached capacity. Sales will go to those companies that remember only 5% of customers upgrade every year. Everyone else wants phones that will last. And a big part of making phones that last is making them as user friendly to maintain and upgrade. It is sad that the article tries to contrast phones & desktops, as that person too probably doesn't do enough homework to see that tablets are dying in favor of people wanting really computers again. This has spurred a stabilization in desktop sales and a hotter market in laptop/convertible PC sales.

HTC is dead until they get back into offering every possible feature again. Samsung is turning down the same road. Sony died long ago. LG has some hope, if they get into the 6" market. And even Moto is as risk after Google flipped them like a bad house.

Maybe a new champion of consumers, choice & longevity will step up from the shadows. Until then, watch for a lot more people to sit on the device they have because nothing new will offer the options and features of what they once had.

sant_r

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

why do you think Apple sells so much? yes, there are advantages to their ecosystem, but they sell because of their brand. it's like a cult. people feel better by having their products and love how they feel and look. They WANT to get their new phone, wait in lines and get excited. Even if the improvements are very small, they will keep buying. 1GB ram? less than 2000 mAh of battery? who cares? they don't. Samsung may be loosing its true hardcore fans, but more people will probably buy their products because they look nicer and feel nicer. I have the sgs6, and I don't like the battery life and wish the battery wasn't sealed. However, I love how this phone looks and feels. I enjoy looking and it and using it. That on top of excellent specs, makes for a very good phone. They will have to increase the battery size, and they probably will try to come up with a way of making the battery removable. But, they had to take a risk on this phone. People have to understand that they can't do ALL in one iteration. Yes, change how it looks to glass, then make battery removable and curved screen and faster processor, and faster memory and way better camera in less than a year. LOL. They had to pick one, and picked what appeals to most people: a phone that looks great, feels great and has awesome specs. To the people complaining about the Note 5, yes, it has the same processor as the SGS6 because they released it only 3/4 months after they released the S6. Do you think they can develop a processor that fast? they were likely working on both at the same time.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I have gone back and forth on this issue because I love my sd card and swapping batteries just like all of you.

However, the people demanding these features stay in the phones aren't "power users," they are just afraid of change. I had the same feelings and only through a lot of introspection did I realize I was being silly by being upset that these features were gone.

Wireless quick charging available in all your furniture at home, at work, your car, and public spaces is coming fast. Android doze will increase your pocket time immensely. Free WiFi everywhere is almost a reality in the usa. Cloud storage works fine if you have free WiFi.

Samsung's cellular business is based on great hardware and innovation. The Note 5 is continuing that trend, but it is doing it by cutting features from yesterday. Does it **** me off? Yeah, I have 30 gb of video on my sd card and nowhere to put it except the cloud. But that is how all phones will store most data in ten years or less. You might as well get on board now

Posted via the Android Central App

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
How many times has Google touted that their new operating system will improve battery life and on most devices it gets worse? I hope doze will be the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.