Note 5 Battery life thread

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I ran into an issue with these, including the supplied Samsung cable, early on with my Note2. I discovered that the cable was a relatively small gauge cable. Most USB cords you buy are going to be a 28g or smaller(larger number) and sometimes has trouble getting the most current through the wires to charge your phone quickly.

I bought what are called 28/24g cables and noticed a significant increase in the charging current going to my phone. They are noticeably larger than the typical USB cable. I bought a few of varying lengths via Monoprice and from 2ft to 16ft, I got between 900mA up to around 1800mA initial charge rate. The most I was able to get from the standard and stock cables was around 800ma max.

I use the app: Galaxy Charging Current that measures the current going into the phone when the USB cable is plugged in. When I've got it plugged into the USB2 ports on my computer using either standard or larger USB cable I get a steady 466mA. When I use the Samsung wall plug, or any other 2.1amp charger, I notice a pretty big difference between the two sizes. Bigger is Better.

Just think of the example of a water pipe. The bigger the pipe, the less resistance to flow, the more water that can flow through it. Current is the water.

To remember gauge size. Think of a 1 inch circle and you're trying to put as many smaller circles into it. The greater the number of circles, the smaller you have to make them, hence to get "MORE" circles, say 28, you'd have to draw them smaller. If you only drew 24 circles inside that same 1 inch circle, they would be larger circles. Here's a photo of wire sizes to give a better example
View attachment 191799

Hope this helps.
^ ^ ^ This! (We'll said!) Take the time to read this. Or you get nothing else out of it, the 28/24 cables are your friend. That would mean 28 for data and 24 for the charging (smaller number = bigger).

Monoprice is a good place to get them. I've also bought their "premium" cables, which they don't lost the gauges for, but they seem to work well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
On another note - you guys getting good/great battery life (Note 4 and/or 5).. Do you:

-Have Google Now voice detection on or off?

-Location History on or off?

-Location on GPS only, Battery saving, or Off entirely?

Just curious... I seem to only get decent battery life and keep "Android System" and "Kernel" at bay if I turn off all of the above mentioned things... And I hate not getting to experience those features.. Know what I mean? I swear my battery is awful if those are on... Even if it's in battery saving GPS mode.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
1ef808049a4a3f2c6373e76d32ef828a.jpg

This is where I'm at after 4 days. Still averaging very good times. More than happy here

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 6 plus, the battery life on this phone is awful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This isn't a good sign as I have an iPhone 6+ and a Galaxy Note 4 and I get better battery life from my Note than from my 6+.

Posted via the Android Central App

theneighbor

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a power user so to speak but standby on the iPhone is amazing. I've gotten 72 hours. This will be nowhere close

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Roberto, a quick question.

How much usable storage is on your phone?

I see some folks saying that Best Buy display units have 15GB of usable storage on the 32GB variant, which I hope is only due to the crap they load onto display units.

I used to work for Best Buy Mobile and I can tell you from experience that it is just the display units. There is custom demo software installed on the unit that takes up a significant amount of space.

Rahim Esmail

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
First full weekend with the Note 5. I can report battery life has been....................better than expected. Standby time seems to be pretty solid. With the phone off, the battery stays fairly level which was not the case with my GS6. Maybe its 5.1? dont know. Today is the first full day of work so I can comment further later. Good to see that Samsung seems to have done some good work optimizing this thing.

Well???

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
They need to ota this power optimization to us s6 / edge users!

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

AT&T did. I have posted it all over the S6 Edge boards. the stage fright fix (if thats what it was) nearly doubled my battery life. Screenshot_2015-08-18-19-38-44.jpg

at 65% 17 hours off charger. key things, cell standby has been fixed ( and android sys )

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Well???

Well, its been 4 full days. I wont say I am getting outstanding battery life but I think its going to be good enough to give up my GS6A. I am seeing about 5% battery drain per hour on average. That holds up pretty well for me. I always want the best battery life which is why I really like my Active. But the screen and finger print scanner are enough for me to sacrifice the longevity that can be achieved with a battery that is 3500 Mah. Standby time continues to impress. If I am not touching the phone, I see barely any discharge.

My usage is pretty much the same every day. About 1.5 hours of SOT. 100-150 emails from work and gmail. Assorted text messages. A couple of Clash of Clan attacks and few you tube videos. Nothing is turned off and I work in a pretty good signal area. Usually around 3-4 bars of LTE.

med322

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, its been 4 full days. I wont say I am getting outstanding battery life but I think its going to be good enough to give up my GS6A. I am seeing about 5% battery drain per hour on average. That holds up pretty well for me. I always want the best battery life which is why I really like my Active. But the screen and finger print scanner are enough for me to sacrifice the longevity that can be achieved with a battery that is 3500 Mah. Standby time continues to impress. If I am not touching the phone, I see barely any discharge.

My usage is pretty much the same every day. About 1.5 hours of SOT. 100-150 emails from work and gmail. Assorted text messages. A couple of Clash of Clan attacks and few you tube videos. Nothing is turned off and I work in a pretty good signal area. Usually around 3-4 bars of LTE.

1.5 hours of screen on time is terrible.......

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
This isn't a good sign as I have an iPhone 6+ and a Galaxy Note 4 and I get better battery life from my Note than from my 6+.

I'm quite the opposite. My battery life on the Note 4 was horrible, but the iPhone 6+ is phenomenal. So it's a little discouraging that the original poster "The Neighbor" says the Note 5 is awful. Seems like we use our phones very similar.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
1.5 hours of screen on time is terrible.......

It's not terrible for me. It's completely in line for what I have traditionally got using any phone. I don't know how anybody get 4 hours if screen on time. Never understood how can look at your phone for that long during a day anyway. I suppose it's all about what you use your phone for.

Just to put it in context. My phone comes off the charger at 6 am and gets plugged in at 930 or 10 at night. Almost no WiFi usuage during the weekdays.

med322

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll give an update on my battery life.

Sunday and Monday are usually my, forget the phone, do things around the house, watch sports, read, etc... so I really don't use my phone a lot during that time.

With that said, I let the phone run down to 19% (I have a charger at work if I need one), and got 2 days 6 hours of battery life, with 2 hours 40 minutes of screen time.

I have all the location services on. I use cellular signal on AT&T. I have google voice turned off (I have never used it, nor want to). Screen brightness is around 25-30%.

I've also used the phone as a normal workday, and have gotten 5 hours screen time, and still had 20% battery life left. :shrugs: For me, this phone is going to work out great. I came from the Nexus 6, which doesn't have an SD card or removable battery, and have learned how to do without those things.

Enjoy all!

Good news.

By Google Voice, do you mean like the "Ok, Google" features? Do you have Google Now off completely?