Note 5 Battery life thread

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
What's the name of the app recommended again with Doze? I also have battery doctor installed but not sure I need that. Also have Cleaner which I like

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So now something called Media Server is taking up battery on this. 3% but I've only been off battery for 1 hour and down to 88% from 98% so 10% loss and I've never even barely used it!!!! Wow. Frustration is mounting.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok. So now something called Media Server is taking up battery on this. 3% but I've only been off battery for 1 hour and down to 88% from 98% so 10% loss and I've never even barely used it!!!! Wow. Frustration is mounting.

Media server is from playing music or podcasts.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Neuter the phone? Hahahaha you aren't having to neuter the phone. I think some of you previous iPhone users realize yet how locked down you have been in the past and how NOT locked down, you are about to be. lol

Think of it as an equalizer. Yeah, you can listen to music without having the equalizer you can set, but also setting the equalizer can be different for different types of music.

Now, let me read back through the posts, no more resetting phones.. At least until I read through lol.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What's a good percentage to lose while I sleep for 7, 8 hours?

I think I lost like 5% overnight. My Twitter app of choice streams tweets as they come when connected to wifi but I'll look on GSam to see if that's a big % consumer when I wake up.

I've been getting 20-22 hours on a full charge the last few days since I got the phone but the pattern I'm in, a lot of that chunk is while I'm asleep. I wonder what it'd look like on a normal weekday.

Is it bad for the battery or phone to keep the phone on the quick charger overnight or does it (presuming it does) do the stop charging/drain a few percent/charge up thing? Since the phone quick charges full in like 40 minutes, that's obviously not a full night of sleep lol.

The less you lose while sleeping, is an indication the phone goes into a deep sleep when it is not being used. That is good on battery. My N4 can lose only about 1% maybe 2% and I joke it doesn't sleep, but goes into a coma. It is an exception.

Now as far as the charger, you are fine leaving it overnight. When it gets "full" it will stop charging and won't kick in and start charging again unless you lose a certain amount of battery. So there are points that it is on the charger and it isn't really charging. To see how much your phone is sleeping, it would be good to charge it right before you go to sleep, take it off the charger and then see what you lose at night. Let's see if it is going into a deep sleep and of something is waking the phone. Your phone can wake without the phone screen coming on. Your phone not going into a deep sleep can be the thing that will eat up your battery.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have done factory reset again. Will report of battery life soon. All seems okay for now I'm close to 2 hours so that and have 71% left. Been off charger for 6 hours. Have not enabled Google now yet.

Welcome need to see some details of how your phone is running, and every reset, it takes time again for your battery to "settle" in. It is like a new phone when you reset.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I just remembered to turn off all the unnecessary accounts syncing (Google syncs so much), and I'm wondering does this improve battery life, particularly in the background?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What's the name of the app recommended again with Doze? I also have battery doctor installed but not sure I need that. Also have Cleaner which I like

OK, the thing about battery apps.. They generally aren't recommended many battery app types can actually end up using more battery than you normally would use. Some battery apps are good to have temporarily, just to diagnose a battery issue, then remove them.

The App is called ShutApp, but remember, myself and another are still testing it and another Ambassador is about to be using it and testing too and on a non-Samsung phone.

What is this cleaner program you are using? Cleaner programs and task killers can really be a no no. There is one that most of us really, really hate and many carriers and some manufacturers are even pre-installing them on phones.

Percentage of use can be realative also. Here is a good thread on media server. Media server isn't just music streaming, etc.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...iaserver-why-draining-my-battery-so-much.html

Now sometimes media server could go nuts, but generally we would see that when someone has an SD card. So right now, media server has used 3% of the 10% of your battery that has been used.

What we need is just a day of running your battery, just doing things like normal and let's see how your battery does. Don't worry so much about the numbers.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Now, one thing to remember about RAM, Android works better either RAM being a little full. It is totally opposite of a Windows computer. Don't be "closing all" or apps everytime you use them. I know that is done with iPhone. Android handles that RAM better than iPhone.

I can have 15 or 20 chrome tabs open at any given time and many times I have 70 or 80, but I wouldn't recommend that. That is just me being lazy and not closing some of those tabs when I'm finished. Generally I have running in the background, all the time, the Android Central App, Hangouts, Facebook, Chrome, Breaking News app and maybe a couple more. Generally those are open and in the background, 24/7. If I open something I don't use often, when I finish, I will push down the recent apps button and swipe that one away. Just because it is up there open, doesn't mean it is running and doing a bunch of stuff. My Facebook pushes through notifications if it is open in the background or not.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that will help battery also.

Also Google syncs a lot of stuff. I don't use Google fit, so in the sync settings, I uncheck that. I don't sync apps to Google. I sync my calendar, my contacts, my mail, my internet, etc. This is what I sync on my main Google. I have 4 total Google accounts on my phone. This "people" at the end, is kind of new.. Not sure what it is, haven't researched it, but I'm syncing it for now until I know what it is. I have a lot of notes and info I add to contacts and I'm not sure I'd that is what the "people" is or not. I kinda think it isn't, but until I know for sure, it is being synced. It is just one thing.

Attachments

• 1441029082318.jpg
    1441029082318.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 1441029093101.jpg
    1441029093101.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 52

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask again. Media server is my #2 drain at 7% but I havery no idea why. I haven't listened to any music watched any video or streamed any kind of media at all on my phone. Zero. I do have audible but it's not running. What ccould this be and why so high? Cell Standby is only 2% and that's because I'm in a good 4g area today so think the issue is bad or weaker connection from home.

I really want to know why media server is doing what it is makes no sense to me.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask again. Media server is my #2 drain at 7% but I havery no idea why. I haven't listened to any music watched any video or streamed any kind of media at all on my phone. Zero. I do have audible but it's not running. What ccould this be and why so high? Cell Standby is only 2% and that's because I'm in a good 4g area today so think the issue is bad or weaker connection from home.

I really want to know why media server is doing what it is makes no sense to me.

Did you read that link I posted about media server in the post? It isn't just music or video.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

And remember, 3% of 10% is not high at all..

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, the thing about battery apps.. They generally aren't recommended many battery app types can actually end up using more battery than you normally would use. Some battery apps are good to have temporarily, just to diagnose a battery issue, then remove them.

The App is called ShutApp, but remember, myself and another are still testing it and another Ambassador is about to be using it and testing too and on a non-Samsung phone.

What is this cleaner program you are using? Cleaner programs and task killers can really be a no no. There is one that most of us really, really hate and many carriers and some manufacturers are even pre-installing them on phones.

Percentage of use can be realative also. Here is a good thread on media server. Media server isn't just music streaming, etc.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...iaserver-why-draining-my-battery-so-much.html

Now sometimes media server could go nuts, but generally we would see that when someone has an SD card. So right now, media server has used 3% of the 10% of your battery that has been used.

What we need is just a day of running your battery, just doing things like normal and let's see how your battery does. Don't worry so much about the numbers.

OK thanks for good info. I'm going to let my battery go today. I'm at 60% and been off charger now for 4 hours. So it's going down at 10% per hour which I think is rather high.

I've disabled all bloatware and stopped syncing uncnessary apps but did that two days ago and still have issues.

The Cleaner is Clean Master. Not good?

hjsizemore

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry they are so long, but I figured people might like to see what wake lock detector can show you. As you can see, play services is a large drain for me and it's being caused by Google Now, Google Wallet, Google Maps, and a little Gmail.

I found Wake Lock Detector in the Play Store but it needs root to run? Did you root your Note5? Is there a version that doesn't require root?

Thanks!