Considering Note 5 but noticed Bluetooth Tether is unavailable (T-Mobile Version)

mge1201

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Currently considering giving up my LG G4 (which at times runs super hot) to get the Note 5 on T-Mobile. However, after playing with it at the store, I notice under the tethering/hotspot menu, the only options are either USB or standard WiFi. Where is bluetooth? Is it just the T-Mobile version that's neutered? I prefer this more energy efficient method to tether my iPad/iPod vs WiFi. FWIW, I notice the bluetooth tethering option missing from all Samsung Galaxy phones on T-Mobile. The only one that has it natively is the HTC line. I wonder why.

If anything, could you confirm if the FoxFi or PDA Net apps work via bluetooth tether on Note 5?

Thank you.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Considering Note 5 but noticed Bluetooth Tether is unavailable

Currently considering giving up my LG G4 (which at times runs super hot) to get the Note 5 on T-Mobile. However, after playing with it at the store, I notice under the tethering/hotspot menu, the only options are either USB or standard WiFi. Where is bluetooth? Is it just the T-Mobile version that's neutered? I prefer this more energy efficient method to tether my iPad/iPod vs WiFi. FWIW, I notice the bluetooth tethering option missing from all Samsung Galaxy phones on T-Mobile. The only one that has it natively is the HTC line. I wonder why.

If anything, could you confirm if the FoxFi or PDA Net apps work via bluetooth tether on Note 5?

Thank you.

Could be just the T-Mobile version. The Verizon version still has it.

2015-08-21.jpg

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Thank you.

foxfi works great!

mge1201

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

^ thanks will take your word for it. Could you confirm if BT tether works?
Going to see if i can get one at lunch...
Still wonder why T-Mo phones are neutered.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

the option for bluetooth tethering is there but i have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and do not have a subscription for hotspot or tethering....thus my dependence on foxfi :)

mge1201

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

good to know. i'm setting mine up as we speak :)

mge1201

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys,

Day 1 with Note 5. What a beast compared to my previous LG G4. Could any of you walk me through how to use Foxfi through Bluetooth tethering? Sorry for the ask but I'd really like to get this task resolved.

Thanks in advance,
M

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

^ thanks will take your word for it. Could you confirm if BT tether works?
Going to see if i can get one at lunch...
Still wonder why T-Mo phones are neutered.

Carriers do this all the time. T-Mobile could have done this as a way to stop some of the major tethering going on.

I remember when we got Gingerbread I think it was. You could edit the notification panel and put the ones you used at the top. We were all excited.

AT&T acted like they were giving us nuclear codes if they did that and took that option away from us with that update.

mge1201

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

It's too bad T-Mo took BT tether away, but I guess I could understand their side. Still, I'm annoyed that this phone doesn't feel as "complete" as the Verizon, AT&T etc. variants.

Back to my question. Can anyone using FoxFi confirm if the bluetooth tether option is 1) functional on the Note 5 and 2) is not limited to PC connections only, meaning I can also tether my WiFi tablets, iPod, and other mobile devices.

cre8tivspirit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It's too bad T-Mo took BT tether away, but I guess I could understand their side. Still, I'm annoyed that this phone doesn't feel as "complete" as the Verizon, AT&T etc. variants.

I don't see a Bluetooth Tethering option on my AT&T Note 5. I was hoping to use this because I can't use WiFi tethering where I work. They scan for active WiFi hotspots.

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

Thank you.

Mine has it, as well as my friend's Note 5. I'm on T-mobile, she's on Sprint

Posted via the Android Central App

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon unlimited with a subscription to Mobile Hotspot, and I tried both USB (50+ Mbps) and Bluetooth (1.5 Mbps) tethering and they both worked for me.