Smart Select has been Downgraded.

rhdtfb

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Note 5 just upgraded to Marshmallow, and Smart Select lost the T symbol that performed OCR on the selected image. BUT after installing Samsung Optical Reader the T symbol reappeared and works as before. Thank goodness! I'm guessing maybe Optical Reader provides the engine that Smart Select uses?

This is a feature I've used a lot and would be very sorry to lose. Basically, any text that appears on the screen as part of an image, whether in a photo or a website, can be selected with the S-pen using Smart Select. The selected image then appears in a box with a T symbol in the corner. Press it and the OCR'd text appears in a box and can be selected, copied, shared etc. For instance, to check my Android version I just went into Settings-About Device-Android Version. Oh darn, text isn't delectable. No problem - select it with Smart Select, press the T symbol, copy the text, and paste it: Android version 6.0.1. Job done.

Declan Curry

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
For better clarrification of what i'm talking about. Seem people are getting it mixed with Action Memo. With the note 4, you could take a picture of a Flyer. Open that picture on your phone, use the S Pen and select Smart Select. You can then select a box around the phone number on the flyer and you would be able to save it to a contact or click on it to place a call. You could select the address on that picutre of the flyer and save it to a contact or click on it and get Google Map directions to it. Text in the picture could be extracted and paste in anything as if you typed it. Or just save the selection as a picture to paste to your scrapbook, save in your gallery or share it to a social site. Now you only have to option to save it to your gallery or share it as a picture to other apps. As you can see, it was quite handy. Especially take a picture of a business card and later just extract the number and click call.

They haven't removed this feature I contacted Samsung support and the advised me to do a factory reset on my handset and it should come back. I did and it came back. Must be some issues when uogalrading to the new software

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Well. Good note. If you hit the "T" to view the extracted test, you can activate Google now tap for the home screen and it will recognize the number for you to call or address to open Maps for directions

D Rogue

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
The problem I am having, which sucks because I loved this feature, is if I would trace something with my S-Pen it would copy what I traced to my clipboard. Then I could open a picture, select edit, and then select clipboard to paste the item I traced to the picture. This was great for "photoshopping" images, doing face replacements, etc. With the latest upgrade the traced items are no longer copied to the clipboard, and I cannot figure out how to do it. Is there anyway to copy traced items to the clipboard? Thanks!

D Rogue

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The problem I am having, which sucks because I loved this feature, is if I would trace something with my S-Pen it would copy what I traced to my clipboard. Then I could open a picture, select edit, and then select clipboard to paste the item I traced to the picture. This was great for "photoshopping" images, doing face replacements, etc. With the latest upgrade the traced items are no longer copied to the clipboard, and I cannot figure out how to do it. Is there anyway to copy traced items to the clipboard? Thanks!

D Rogue

I don't recall being able to save it to the clipboard, you can still save it to the gallery or scrapbook.
I prefer scrapbook so I can use it again whenever I want.

msmith989

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I am in agreement with D Rogue.... Although not mission critical I did really enjoy the image clip portion of doing funny face swaps etc. by taking a photo and image clipping the face portion. It would save to the clipboard which you could add using the editor function. You are able to save it into gallery but the image quality is seriously downgraded and now very pixelated which doesn't have the same effect. Meh, definitely a downgrade.