24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
So here is todays stats its been 8hrs since full charge i am already at 67% battery on my Note 5 sigh!!! I am loving the phone just bad battery I am going to go through and check a link that someone supplied yesterday about turning off some core android services.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-28-11-06-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-28-11-06-12.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_2015-08-28-11-06-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-28-11-06-47.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 202

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I too came from the iPhone 6+ and have noticed a big difference with the battery on my Note 5. Here is what I've noticed on my typical work morning on from both phones.

Wake up at 6 AM and use the flashlight on both the 6+ to find my way through the house to turn on some lights outside the bedroom (don't want to turn bedroom light on and wake up the wife). Arrive to work around 6:40 and enter the cafeteria. Where I sit, I had to place my 6+ in a certain location to get 4G and I would get about 1 to 2 bars, it'd bounce back between the two signals. First break would be at 9:30 and my 6+ battery percentage would be at 100 or 99% every time. I would always browse twitter and text the wife which would take my battery down to 96%-95%. I would repeat this for my lunch and 2:00 breaks and leave work with any where to 80%-85%.

Now with my Note 5 with the exact same scenarios but when I get to work I'm already at 99% percent and I only get 1 bar of 4G. When it comes down to my first break at 9:30, my battery is already down to 93%-96%. Again I'll check twitter but it takes a while to load up and I'll text my wife. I don't check twitter at my lunch and 2:00 breaks because it takes awhile for it to pop up. So just texting my wife and when I get off of work my battery is 71%-74%. I have location turned off, Bluetooth off, all bloatware disabled, screen brightness at 50%.

What can I turn off or do to improve the battery life? What am I doing wrong?

I love the REAL WORLD tests.. We are always saying that the phone does this or that.. or lasts this long..... The only thing that matters is if the phone can handle YOUR day.... I found myself having a typical day for me and I am around 55% now and my 6+ is at 82%....If a phone is not going to have a removable battery, than it better last me my day...

Might be staying Apple for a little longer.....

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I too came from the iPhone 6+ and have noticed a big difference with the battery on my Note 5. Here is what I've noticed on my typical work morning on from both phones.

Wake up at 6 AM and use the flashlight on both the 6+ to find my way through the house to turn on some lights outside the bedroom (don't want to turn bedroom light on and wake up the wife). Arrive to work around 6:40 and enter the cafeteria. Where I sit, I had to place my 6+ in a certain location to get 4G and I would get about 1 to 2 bars, it'd bounce back between the two signals. First break would be at 9:30 and my 6+ battery percentage would be at 100 or 99% every time. I would always browse twitter and text the wife which would take my battery down to 96%-95%. I would repeat this for my lunch and 2:00 breaks and leave work with any where to 80%-85%.

Now with my Note 5 with the exact same scenarios but when I get to work I'm already at 99% percent and I only get 1 bar of 4G. When it comes down to my first break at 9:30, my battery is already down to 93%-96%. Again I'll check twitter but it takes a while to load up and I'll text my wife. I don't check twitter at my lunch and 2:00 breaks because it takes awhile for it to pop up. So just texting my wife and when I get off of work my battery is 71%-74%. I have location turned off, Bluetooth off, all bloatware disabled, screen brightness at 50%.

What can I turn off or do to improve the battery life? What am I doing wrong?

I would say the phone is going to last all day. Yes, the 6+ was more efficient, but before becoming compulsive about it, ask yourself if it really matters whether you come home with an 80% charge or a 71% charge? I experienced the same thing. I don't have numbers but my iPhone 6 would come home with, say, 65% and my N5 after a weeks use comes home with 55%. I was obsessing about it but came to the conclusion that it was irrelevant. The N5 uses about 2%/hr so, hypothetically, I could get 50 hours of standby.

I the only things I did were to debloat. WiFi is on, BT on, VoLTE is on, and I am in a horrible service zone (1 bar most of the day). The phone is more useful than an iPhone, I can use it as a portable storage device, can decide where I want to put my icons, live on-screen widgets, a keyboard that actually changes case (GASP!), the S-Pen, etc...Forget about iPhone comparisons and either accept it or just go back to the iPhone. People just need to decide if the utility of Android is worth, thankfully, a very minor battery 'penalty'.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I would say the phone is going to last all day. Yes, the 6+ was more efficient, but before becoming compulsive about it, ask yourself if it really matters whether you come home with an 80% charge or a 71% charge? I experienced the same thing. I don't have numbers but my iPhone 6 would come home with, say, 65% and my N5 after a weeks use comes home with 55%. I was obsessing about it but came to the conclusion that it was irrelevant. The N5 uses about 2%/hr so, hypothetically, I could get 50 hours of standby.

80% or 71% doesn't matter.... but if it is 50% to 20% at 5pm... that is a problem.. Jury is still out

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I constantly flip flop between choosing one of these phones. Battery life, while I know it is subjective, really means a lot to me. I'd love to not have to worry about battery life and it sounds like the 6+ might be the only thing out there that guarantees me a full day pretty much no matter what.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
80% or 71% doesn't matter.... but if it is 50% to 20% at 5pm... that is a problem.. Jury is still out

When you have iPhones running just basic and minimal stuff in the background and not even doing real multitasking, then you get a device that is running by default dozens of apps and services from Google, Samsung and even Carriers, you can't really do an apples to apples comparison.

On Android you should be willing to do some tweaks not needed on iPhones because they are not there. You have just 2 options, leave everything on, as it comes by default and suffer from the expected battery drains or do some tweaks removing bloatware, turning off, disable or uninstall unnecessary services and apps and be aware of the critical change on the Location History settings that affects all the devices running latest Google Play services. This Location reporting is a huge battery drain on Android, not on iPhones, if you get what I mean.

Like I've said dozens of times already, doing the above is not crippling your device, is simply doing the fine tuning that neither Google or Samsung (or any other Android OEM) are doing. Having everything on all the time is and will never be the optimal and smarter thing to do, not even on a 4000mAh battery device. Doing this tweaks will just make your device as fine tuned as an iPhone that everybody seem to have some high praise for it.

For better standby time try what I have posted in the past days, look for the Auto Stop features if available on your device and download Doze app from the Play Store, it will help until Android M is released with its integrated Doze feature.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I constantly flip flop between choosing one of these phones. Battery life, while I know it is subjective, really means a lot to me. I'd love to not have to worry about battery life and it sounds like the 6+ might be the only thing out there that guarantees me a full day pretty much no matter what.

The note phones have always got me through a day pretty easy. Ive had the 2,3,4 and now the 5. The 5 lasts as long as the 4 does.

Battery has always been my biggest thing too. The only things i really adjust is i turn sync off because it will show me new emails when i open the app. I also put location on battery saving. I disable the bloatware i don't use.

With that set up i am not losing any features of the phone, and i can make it a full day with room to spare.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The note phones have always got me through a day pretty easy. Ive had the 2,3,4 and now the 5. The 5 lasts as long as the 4 does.

Battery has always been my biggest thing too. The only things i really adjust is i turn sync off because it will show me new emails when i open the app. I also put location on battery saving. I disable the bloatware i don't use.

With that set up i am not losing any features of the phone, and i can make it a full day with room to spare.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

I think I would probably be ok, for my use. But I'm fighting the internal battle of do I want to stick with Android (which usually means hopping from one phone to the next every few months) or go with Apple and stick to the once a year cycle. It's down the 6+ (or 6S+) or the Note 5. There is nothing else out there that I like or want. And I'm not sure about the upcoming Nexus device(s) either.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think I would probably be ok, for my use. But I'm fighting the internal battle of do I want to stick with Android (which usually means hopping from one phone to the next every few months) or go with Apple and stick to the once a year cycle. It's down the 6+ (or 6S+) or the Note 5. There is nothing else out there that I like or want. And I'm not sure about the upcoming Nexus device(s) either.

I'm in the same spot as you. I have the 6 plus and note 5 but can't decide if I want to keep the note 5 or get 6 plus s. One thing that I keep thinking about is resell value. I know my note 4 didn't keep the value that much and my iphone 6 plus is still worth 450 at verizon and more on craigslist. I'm having hard time making this decision.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Phone Arena might disagree with you on that....

View attachment 193736
The Phone Arena test has no correlation with real world battery life, I take their results with a massive grain of salt given that my experiences have been vastly different to what they reported. Devices that score poorly on their test end up doing better in real world usage than other devices that scored significantly higher.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Phone Arena test has no correlation with real world battery life, I take their results with a massive grain of salt given that my experiences have been vastly different to what they reported. Devices that score poorly on their test end up doing better in real world usage than other devices that scored significantly higher.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
And if you use the iPad charger the 6 Plus also charges up in about an hour and a half. That'll run ya a whole $19 on Amazon. I got great battery life on my 6 Plus. I'm sure I could get through a day on the Note 5, too. But I find it hard to believe it would get me 3 more hours of use.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Phone Arena might disagree with you on that....

View attachment 193736

Phone Arena's battery tests are straight garbage and I'm confused how they in anyway correlate to real life usage. Nobody on the planet with these two phones in working order would say that the Note 5 gets roughly 30% better battery. And w/ 2A charger, the 6 Plus charges decently fast too.

The Note 5 is a great phone - gorgeous build, best screen in the business, and great camera, with good battery life. All around an impressive handset. But at the end of the day, I've found that my 6 Plus is still snappier and gets clearly better battery life (especially in standby). I'll probably roll with it another year.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am like most of the others here. Coming from a 6+ the only thing that has me concerned is battery life. I love the Note 5 otherwise. I have also had a Note 2 & 3. I could not kill the battery on my 6+ in 1 day. I don't care what any review says. 8 hours talk time, 3 hours screen time, plus browsing, streaming, you name it. Just last week we were at Disney from 9 am until midnight and I still had over 50% left after taking pictures all day.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the heck out of my new phone, but I have to get used to a new reality with battery life. I already sold my iPhone to force me to stick with this and not make any excuses to go back.

I did do a factory reset this afternoon to try everything fresh. Hopefully that will help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 6 and the Note 5 is a treat. This phone is just so smooth and amazing. I had the Note 4 last year at launch but what a difference in a premium feel for the Note 5. This is a very slick phone. I don't know about battery life yet but damn this thing charges so fast it doesn't matter. Hail to the Note 5. Love it

ILowry82

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Phone Arena's battery tests are straight garbage and I'm confused how they in anyway correlate to real life usage. Nobody on the planet with these two phones in working order would say that the Note 5 gets roughly 30% better battery. And w/ 2A charger, the 6 Plus charges decently fast too.

The Note 5 is a great phone - gorgeous build, best screen in the business, and great camera, with good battery life. All around an impressive handset. But at the end of the day, I've found that my 6 Plus is still snappier and gets clearly better battery life (especially in standby). I'll probably roll with it another year.

I have both phones also. The Note 5 can definitely get you through a full day no problem. I previously had an S6 Edge. I had to charge that piece of trash twice to get through a full day. However the 6 plus battery is in another world. I don't think I could get it to 20% in one day if I tried. I don't know how these publications conduct their tests but they are totally wrong. The 6 plus has the better battery by a mile

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have been a 6+ user since it came out last September. I have tried several different phones over the last year and nothing comes close to the 6+ battery life. That being said, Apple is the best at optimization. I got the Note 5 this past Tuesday and have been using it on my work line. The battery life on the Note 5 has been pretty good for me so far. It's not as good as the 6+ but it still gets me through a full day. The Note 5 is the nicest phone Samsung has ever made hands down. Sure the Edge is pretty, but it's just asthetics as the Edge screen doesn't have enough functionality built into it. The Note 5 feels great in the hand and doesn't feel like a pallet at all. I love the thin bezels. When I put the Note 5 next to the 6+ there's no comparison in design - the Note 5 looks and feels much better. I also had the opportunity to beta test Samsung Pay and I have to say I am impressed. I used it twice yesterday and it worked flawless. It does need some polishing on the software side, but I'm sure it will be refined by the time it rolls out at the end of September. The Note 5 may be the first Android phone to finally break me away from Apple and iOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty