Issues With Gmail Push Notifications

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Wildo, when you say Outlook, do you mean Exchange Outlook (as opposed to Outlook.com)? I've been mulling over the Note 5, but if I'm missing work emails as opposed to Gmails, that would be a huge problem. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was using the Outlook app. It was basically anything that was pushed. I never figured it out and moved back to my Nexus 6. I'm going to try the Note and if I have the same issue in 14 days, I'm returning it and just going with Apple. I've had so many random issues with Android. Not saying iOS is error free, but I don't have time to worry about whether my phone is going to work or not.

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So strange. I took advantage of the Samsung Test Drive to try the S6 Edge and the push notifications were working fine, but I only kept the phone for a week. It was a beautiful device, but threads like these are making me gun shy about jumping. I'm curious to see how it works out for you because the Note really is appealing!!!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So strange. I took advantage of the Samsung Test Drive to try the S6 Edge and the push notifications were working fine, but I only kept the phone for a week. It was a beautiful device, but threads like these are making me gun shy about jumping. I'm curious to see how it works out for you because the Note really is appealing!!!

I should be getting it tomorrow. Will probably fire it up tomorrow night and I'll let you know what I think. I gotta give it a couple of days before I know for sure if the notifications aren't working. Gotta try wifi and data.

Allen Gregg

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Well... I am taking my Note 5 back to Verizon tomorrow for this exact reason - and spent HOURS on the phone the past two days with Verizon and Samsung tech reps to try to figure it out. My push emails simply never worked more than a couple of times.

I have home security cameras and when they detect movement outside the home, they send a fast push email to let you know. On my iPhone 6, I got those notifications within seconds of their sending them. No such luck with the Note 5. In another thread where people were discussing this same issue with the S6, I tried literally EVERY suggestion people were coming up with - nothing worked permanently and only a couple of things worked for maybe a few minutes to an hour, then the phone would slip right back into not getting them again. I think people were starting to lean toward something in the Samsung software that keeps disabling them or something, but no one has figured it out yet.

I literally made 4 calls to Verizon tech totaling 4+ hours on the phone in the past two days and was lucky enough to get knowledgeable reps each time. I kid you not - these guys literally picked apart every setting you could possibly imagine in Gmail, Android, etc. Then moved on to just removing gmail and replacing it. Nothing. Trying an alternative email other than gmail - nope. We tried Samsung tech support (India call center) and they could not fix it after two hours allegedly with a "level 2" rep. As a final resort we completely factory reset the phone and started from scratch... same issue. Pushes not working.

Sorry - enough is enough. I love everything else about this phone but between some work emails and the security system, I HAVE to have fast push notifications from email coming through to me, and it's just not going to happen with this phone. I'm irritated to be honest... loved just about everything else on this phone. But switching back to my iPhone 6 for now and guess I'll just shell out more money for the 6s+ when it comes out if I want a larger screen phone that works out of the box. UGH. Samsung... SLAP!!!! :-$

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well... I am taking my Note 5 back to Verizon tomorrow for this exact reason - and spent HOURS on the phone the past two days with Verizon and Samsung tech reps to try to figure it out. My push emails simply never worked more than a couple of times.

I have home security cameras and when they detect movement outside the home, they send a fast push email to let you know. On my iPhone 6, I got those notifications within seconds of their sending them. No such luck with the Note 5. In another thread where people were discussing this same issue with the S6, I tried literally EVERY suggestion people were coming up with - nothing worked permanently and only a couple of things worked for maybe a few minutes to an hour, then the phone would slip right back into not getting them again. I think people were starting to lean toward something in the Samsung software that keeps disabling them or something, but no one has figured it out yet.

I literally made 4 calls to Verizon tech totaling 4+ hours on the phone in the past two days and was lucky enough to get knowledgeable reps each time. I kid you not - these guys literally picked apart every setting you could possibly imagine in Gmail, Android, etc. Then moved on to just removing gmail and replacing it. Nothing. Trying an alternative email other than gmail - nope. We tried Samsung tech support (India call center) and they could not fix it after two hours allegedly with a "level 2" rep. As a final resort we completely factory reset the phone and started from scratch... same issue. Pushes not working.

Sorry - enough is enough. I love everything else about this phone but between some work emails and the security system, I HAVE to have fast push notifications from email coming through to me, and it's just not going to happen with this phone. I'm irritated to be honest... loved just about everything else on this phone. But switching back to my iPhone 6 for now and guess I'll just shell out more money for the 6s+ when it comes out if I want a larger screen phone that works out of the box. UGH. Samsung... SLAP!!!! :-$

Just curious, but have you tried your @me.com account email? It has the Sync Setting of Auto (when received). This setting is not available for my yahoo account or any other account I have. It seems to work. Not quite as fast as my iPad on Wifi. Maybe 20sec delay on my Note5 compared to my iPad and iPhone. But yeah, it's a feature that I think sucks about all the Android phones that I have used. My iPhones have always synced super fast with Push notifications.

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind, I'm testing it now. It was 1min 35 secs when connected to Wifi with my Note5. 7sec for my iPad. Now testing 4G on my Note5 and it still hasn't received my test email and it's been 12 minutes so far. My iPad received it in 7 sec...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've not read all the replies yet. Maybe try removing the account, restarting the device and then add the account back.

Also, what if you use the email account via the default OS mail app, versus the google Mail app. Merely as a test...

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue, but it's not with my emails, it's my other push notifications. Sports scores, eBay auction bids, etc. It's like the phone goes into some deep sleep and doest allow the notifications to register. Once I manually wake the phone up I get a barrage of notifications all at once. No idea how to fix this.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue, but it's not with my emails, it's my other push notifications. Sports scores, eBay auction bids, etc. It's like the phone goes into some deep sleep and doest allow the notifications to register. Once I manually wake the phone up I get a barrage of notifications all at once. No idea how to fix this.
This was exactly the issue I had on two S6s and an Active. It's forced me to stay away from this phone. I don't know why this isn't a bigger issue. But I just don't trust anything from Sammy right now.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Was getting ready to order the Note 5 but will hold off for now. :'(
Unbelievable nightmare I had with the S6, can't even imagine going through this again with the Note 5.

Last edited:

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Was getting ready to order the Note 5 but will hold off for now. :'
Unbelievable nightmare I had with the S6, can't even imagine going through this again with the Note 5.

Me too. Nuts - I wanted this phone a lot. But I'm not going to put up with an issue that's important to me and so basic that it shouldn't exist in the first place. Oh, well - hopefully they'll sort it out with the next update and I'll just get it then.

jeremy81

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Note 5 from the test drive and liked it well enough that I ordered one of my own. The Test Drive phone gets push notifications instantly. The one I purchased sometimes gets them instantly but sometimes it's delayed 10-20 minutes or they come through when I wake the phone up. I've read a lot of push notification issues happen because of your router. I've tried upgrading the firmware on my router but that didn't really fix it.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I have Google Apps for business for our work email and mine come through instantly. Only thing I could think of would be if you have WiFi on but set to sleep when the screen goes to sleep.

I have poor cell coverage at home and turned my WiFi off for about an hour and had the same issues you had. But when WiFi was on it solved my issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Was getting ready to order the Note 5 but will hold off for now. :'(
I did order and have decided to return it. The S6 was a nightmare for me too and I won't be dealing with a trivial, yet MAJOR, issue. I need my phone to push notifications to me. That's kind of what they're designed to do, in the simplest of senses.

Allen Gregg

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I've not read all the replies yet. Maybe try removing the account, restarting the device and then add the account back.
Also, what if you use the email account via the default OS mail app, versus the google Mail app. Merely as a test...

The reps (Verizon and Samsung alike) tried everything, including what you have listed above and much, much more. When all else failed we reset the phone to factory defaults just in case - nothing worked. Took my phone back yesterday.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The reps (Verizon and Samsung alike) tried everything, including what you have listed above and much, much more. When all else failed we reset the phone to factory defaults just in case - nothing worked. Took my phone back yesterday.

Did you get another Note 5 or just throw in the towel?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing this for about 30 minutes or so. To me, the issue is when the device is in 'sleep mode', i.e. when the screen is off.
If the screen is on, and you send yourself a test email, it delivers instantly. If the screen is off, it could be anything from 1-5 minutes. Now, if you wake the screen, during the time an email was sent, it will deliver. This ONLY seems to be with GMail; my other accounts work as expected...

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing this for about 30 minutes or so. To me, the issue is when the device is in 'sleep mode', i.e. when the screen is off.
If the screen is on, and you send yourself a test email, it delivers instantly. If the screen is off, it could be anything from 1-5 minutes. Now, if you wake the screen, during the time an email was sent, it will deliver. This ONLY seems to be with GMail; my other accounts work as expected...

Thanks, Ivan. Out of curiosity, are you using it with an Outlook Exchange account? Also, did you happen to test SMS and Hangouts? Sorry to beat a dead horse - I'm just really interested in a Note 5 (using iOS but not a huge fan) and want to know if there are any deal-breakers. I appreciate it!

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Ivan. Out of curiosity, are you using it with an Outlook Exchange account? Also, did you happen to test SMS and Hangouts? Sorry to beat a dead horse - I'm just really interested in a Note 5 (using iOS but not a huge fan) and want to know if there are any deal-breakers. I appreciate it!

Mine was setup as Exchange Active Sync. I do t use Hangouts, thus didn't test it. To be honest the only issue I've seen is GMail itself.

Ps: Outlook.com email works flawlessly...