Marshmallow Rumors

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I hope Samsung starts cracking down on more timely and stable updates. They seem to drop the ball often (or at least take ages to pick it up).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I hope Samsung starts cracking down on more timely and stable updates. They seem to drop the ball often (or at least take ages to pick it up).

Well Samsung gets them out pretty quickly, it is the carriers that hold things up. I wish that Samsung would insist that updates come directly from them and not go through carriers. I think Samsung has enough clout to get away with that, carriers wouldn't like it. Almost all the carriers disable some feature that Android releases.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Well Samsung gets them out pretty quickly, it is the carriers that hold things up. I wish that Samsung would insist that updates come directly from them and not go through carriers. I think Samsung has enough clout to get away with that, carriers wouldn't like it. Almost all the carriers disable some feature that Android releases.

This ^^ Really irks me that the ONLY company that has the carriers by the you know what is you know who. Correct if I'm wrong but if Samsung is the largest Android OEM, why wouldn't they start to demand the same?? IJS

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This ^^ Really irks me that the ONLY company that has the carriers by the you know what is you know who. Correct if I'm wrong but if Samsung is the largest Android OEM, why wouldn't they start to demand the same?? IJS

I'm hoping they will do that soon. With some of the things they are doing, one working on a lifetime battery and their patent on folding displays and seems work might be advancing on that, then they might take the market share over iPhone in the US. Also some of the big carriers are working with Samsung, namely Verizon and AT&T, to have more security and lock down, which means no root, to get a lot if the corporate business in the US from Apple. I wouldn't be surprised of Samsung starts working with going around carriers. Many at Samsung have been open with me about issues that arise when the carrier puts their own tweaks on the software.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/09/15...le-display-will-reportedly-launch-in-january/

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping they will do that soon. With some of the things they are doing, one working on a lifetime battery and their patent on folding displays and seems work might be advancing on that, then they might take the market share over iPhone in the US. Also some of the big carriers are working with Samsung, namely Verizon and AT&T, to have more security and lock down, which means no root, to get a lot if the corporate business in the US from Apple. I wouldn't be surprised of Samsung starts working with going around carriers. Many at Samsung have been open with me about issues that arise when the carrier puts their own tweaks on the software.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/09/15...le-display-will-reportedly-launch-in-january/

Personally I think Samsung should have a GPE for their flagship phones and allow the consumer to decide what is running on their phones. They make some of the best hardware to begin with, there is no reason for them not to allow this.

They can have a full blown enterprise edition locked down as tight as needed for any business and still have a GPE edition for those who want them.

They could even do what HTC does with theirs if they wanted to and let the consumer decide to flash them with software they make. This also gives them data on who is doing what with the phones.

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig Black Sapphire leather wrapped Note 5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

On Verizon,Compared to lg, they are pretty close as of late. On Verizon,Compared to Motorola Samsung has been doing a better job as of late

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 6s Plus

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
That would be for the best. I think manufacturers like Samsung give the carriers too much power as it is. Microsoft seems to be trying to get around the carriers but they don't have the mobile pull of Samsung or LG.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
On Verizon,Compared to lg, they are pretty close as of late. On Verizon,Compared to Motorola Samsung has been doing a better job as of late

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 6s Plus

I've not used a Samsung phone in-depth for a while. Meaning, I've used plenty and played around but not had one as my daily driver. And the one Samsung device I do own isn't getting any updates for...ever. So I was going off what I knew previously, I'm glad to hear they're picking up the pace.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've not used a Samsung phone in-depth for a while. Meaning, I've used plenty and played around but not had one as my daily driver. And the one Samsung device I do own isn't getting any updates for...ever. So I was going off what I knew previously, I'm glad to hear they're picking up the pace.

Carriers are still an issue though. Also even if they get the update out quickly, different carriers disable different functions that are released. Of we got updates directly from Samsung, that would also stop.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Carriers are still an issue though. Also even if they get the update out quickly, different carriers disable different functions that are released. Of we got updates directly from Samsung, that would also stop.
Carriers are horrid. No getting around it. I think Microsoft is on to something though.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

The could if they wanted to... but they seem to feel that their current approach is how to best do business. They let carriers, at least the large ones, come in and pick and choose things a la carte. I guess it is meant to appease them.. I dunno... I happen to think it makes things extremely confusing and a nightmare to support. If Samsung turned around and said "Here, this is the S7, you can all use the same one", being Samsung, carriers would pretty much have to accept it. But they don't want that.... for whatever reason.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The could if they wanted to... but they seem to feel that their current approach is how to best do business. They let carriers, at least the large ones, come in and pick and choose things a la carte. I guess it is meant to appease them.. I dunno... I happen to think it makes things extremely confusing and a nightmare to support. If Samsung turned around and said "Here, this is the S7, you can all use the same one", being Samsung, carriers would pretty much have to accept it. But they don't want that.... for whatever reason.
Yeah, I hear you. IMO, a carrier is simply suppose to provide the customer with cellular signal and data. This is where I have to give credit to apple, they tell the carriers, you will not touch, add nor remove any features from our device or you will not sell our device and as you can see every carrier salivates at the mouth to release a new iphone. Samsung has the clout to do the same as the biggest selling android manufacturer, why they won't follow suit is beyond me. When carriers remove and or change features, it hurts the consumer.

Sent from Da Beast, AKA, The classy white, Galaxy Note 5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I hear you. IMO, a carrier is simply suppose to provide the customer with cellular signal and data. This is where I have to give credit to apple, they tell the carriers, you will not touch, add nor remove any features from our device or you will not sell our device and as you can see every carrier salivates at the mouth to release a new iphone. Samsung has the clout to do the same as the biggest selling android manufacturer, why they won't follow suit is beyond me. When carriers remove and or change features, it hurts the consumer.

They mainly don't because Android it self is open -- Therefore the carriers can modify it. iOS is not.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
They mainly don't because Android it self is open -- Therefore the carriers can modify it. iOS is not.
True, so because the OS itself is open, carriers can remove features that typically come direct from manufacturers? Samsung should just sell their phones factory unlocked directly from them or at least have that option so customers could bypass carriers if they choose to purchase their phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
True, so because the OS itself is open, carriers can remove features that typically come direct from manufacturers? Samsung should just sell their phones factory unlocked directly from them or at least have that option so customers could bypass carriers if they choose to purchase their phones.

1 - Yes they can .. hence why they do it.

2 - Samsung does sell them directly from their store but most like to go to their carriers for payments, contracts, discounts, etc. -- Also some like the "bloat" or features added by carriers (such as Wifi calling for Sprint/T-Mobile).

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
1 - Yes they can .. hence why they do it.

2 - Samsung does sell them directly from their store but most like to go to their carriers for payments, contracts, discounts, etc. -- Also some like the "bloat" or features added by carriers (such as Wifi calling for Sprint/T-Mobile).
True, guess it's the price we pay for "Open source" fortunately T-Mobile has been great with all that stuff so no need for me to cry I guess.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to know the answer to that one as well.

As Samsung becomes more and more like Apple, why can't they force the carriers to push out OTA updates faster?(or completely bypass the carriers)

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Simple. They're probably getting paid. If Samsung thinks they can make more money by appeasing the carriers then by pushing at them then they will. Samsung is a business, after all. Just a theory.