Don't use fingerprint unlock with Airplane Mode? (horror story)

Bulgie

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
A Best Buy "Samsung Experience Consultant" (let's call her "SEC" for short) just wiped my Note 5 without asking me, after I explicitly told her not to. The words I used are "priceless data -- do not wipe under any circumstances". But then the SEC was talking on the phone to Samsung Support (SS for short) and following the instructions from SS. Booted my locked phone into some tech support mode (I don't know the right words) and just went ahead and wiped it. SEC put me on the phone with SS, and SS explained that she was just giving the instructions to SEC to write down -- didn't think she was following the instructions in real time.

But the upshot is my two weeks worth of vacation photos are completely gone -- is that right? Really no way to recover them?

Brand new phone, just arrived in the mail literally the day I was leaving, so my setup was minimal. I didn't set up any kind of cloud sync. I naively assumed that something like that happened automatically (it does on my wife's iPhone). Advice to a newb on how to avoid this in the future would be appreciated.

Anyway, here's how it happened: I set the lock screen to be Fingerprint and it worked fine for about two weeks. Since I was often up a canyon with no bars, I set the phone to Airplane mode because it seems to make the battery last much longer. Give me advice on that too, if that was a dumb thing to do.

Then the fingerprint reader stopped working. My fingerprints didn't change, no cuts or abrasions or burns, has to be a hardware or software failure in the phone. I typed in my backup password but it said that was wrong too. I know user error is to be expected here, but I really think I was typing it correctly. I tired a few times but not enough to make it brick my phone.

I called Verizon and they put me through to Samsung. Samsung said all their ways to fix it remotely depended on my phone being connected to a cell tower, which of course wouldn't work in Airplane mode. (The Android device manager webpage method couldn't work either.) They said to bring it to a Best Buy that had a Samsung Experience, and there someone would be able to fix it.

So I went to BB, where the SEC I spoke to immediately said she didn't know how to fix that. "I'm only level one tech support". She had me call Samsung back, and the SS I spoke to had me put SEC on the line, and the rest is history.

What's the lesson to be learned here? Don't use fingerprint unlock with airplane mode? Or just never use fingerprint at all? (I'll never trust it again, that's for sure.)

Grateful for any advice,
Bulgie

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh.. You should have posted here first 😛

This time, turn on the Samsung Find My Mobile in Lock Screen and Security. You can unlock your phone from your computer or tablet or another phone, going to the browser and logging into your Samsung account.

Also turn on Google Photos, auto sync and you have ever unlimited free storage of pictures and videos.

And I use fingerprint all the time, I haven't had an issue with it.

Also keeping it on Airplane Mode means nothing will come through unless you have T-Mobile and WiFi calling and are connected to WiFi.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Kelly nailed it, Google photos is exactly what you're looking for. Sorry to hear about your loss though, that really sucks

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Also, as long as the airplane mode toggle is in the top row of your quick toggles, you can access it and enable/disable it with the screen locked (just tested this to confirm).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And this is why I hate carriers having their own twist on software. Samsung's Find My Mobile is great for locking and unlocking the screen. Would have worked exactly in the above situation.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
pretty sure you have to setup a backup alphanumeric password when setting up fingerprint. At least my Note5 forced me to. Lets just call this a learning experience. it takes less than a minute to open Google Photos and tell it to back up all pictures and videos. it can save any phone from a horrible incident like this.

Also never go to Best Buy. Just Don't

EDIT: Didn't see that the backup password didn't work. well that rules out my goto response. guess there was no way around that issue.

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
so I was just in contact with verizon support. Verizon did not disable that feature. The verizon support person has a Galaxy S6 and she has Find my mobile under Lock Screen & Security in settings. I might have to factory reset my phone, not sure why mine doesn't have it

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
so I was just in contact with verizon support. Verizon did not disable that feature. The verizon support person has a Galaxy S6 and she has Find my mobile under Lock Screen & Security in settings. I might have to factory reset my phone, not sure why mine doesn't have it

Wait.. Let me check with a Verizon Note 5 user.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This time, turn on the Samsung Find My Mobile in Lock Screen and Security. You can unlock your phone from your computer or tablet or another phone, going to the browser and logging into your Samsung account.

Never knew this. This is why I live in the forums. Learn something new every day.

Posted via the Android Central App

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesn't have it either so it's another thing left off by the Verizon overlords.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bulgie

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Also, as long as the airplane mode toggle is in the top row of your quick toggles, you can access it and enable/disable it with the screen locked (just tested this to confirm).
Sorry I just replied but didn't quote what I was replying to.
How do I add airplane mode toggle to my quick toggles?
-b

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38