T-Mobile and International New App Optimization Update

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Being on Verizon not sure if this feature will appear. Just wondering is Marshmallow Doze going to end up accomplishing the same thing?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Being on Verizon not sure if this feature will appear. Just wondering is Marshmallow Doze going to end up accomplishing the same thing?

No, Doze works differently. When the phone is still, so it can't be in your pocket, can't be charging, no sensors being activated and Doze will out your phone to sleep. You then set certain things that are high priority, like texts, phone calls, etc that will come through.

Thus feature for Samsung is like power saving for your phone, but instead of turning on power saving for your entire phone, you pick individual apps.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this was my final yesterday using the app optimization. I didn't run the battery down any more, I generally try not to let it drop below 30%.

Attachments

• 1446639926993.jpg
    1446639926993.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 1446639940843.jpg
    1446639940843.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 63

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice info! Thanks! I was wondering what made my Tab S have awesome standby battery again after the last update, until I saw that little icon pop up: App Optimization. So far I haven't had issues leaving it as is, automatically optimized, and I haven't missed any notifications or seen any weird bugs. All I know is that my tablet, once again, has great standby battery and nearly no power loss if I leave it in Airplane mode (which is what I do when I leave home).

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
So it's probably just my luck and it's probably because I use this phone for everything, but my battery life has gotten worse since the new update. Me and Samsung batteries clearly aren't meant to be.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Did you wipe cache after the update?

I didn't. I'll do that, though it is a tad bit annoying how much tweaking and wiping and whatnot must be done for this phone to not drop 10% in less than 40 minutes. I know it's Android and it uses more this and that than iOS, but it is still tiresome.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It's also always in the high 90's of degrees when ever the screen is on. It doesn't matter if it's a YouTube video or the forums, I feel like this phone is always running hot now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You might need a factory reset if the cache doesn't help. High temps shouldn't be a thing if you're not actively using the phone with an intensive task (I've watched streaming videos for an hour and it doesn't get that hot).

But I agree with you, we shouldn't have to go through these hoops to get our devices to work as intended. However, I do have an iPhone for work and I still have similar issues when an update hits. Things get buggy, some things stop working. And every single iPad user I know here says the same thing when they update. So we're not alone. But still, shouldn't be this way.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
You might need a factory reset if the cache doesn't help. High temps shouldn't be a thing if you're not actively using the phone with an intensive task (I've watched streaming videos for an hour and it doesn't get that hot).

But I agree with you, we shouldn't have to go through these hoops to get our devices to work as intended. However, I do have an iPhone for work and I still have similar issues when an update hits. Things get buggy, some things stop working. And every single iPad user I know here says the same thing when they update. So we're not alone. But still, shouldn't be this way.

I wish I had time for a factory reset or even the patience. Just trying to figure out what the heck is plaguing every Samsung device I have ever owned is time consuming. I just turned off the battery stats and the temperature stats because knowing is driving me crazy, or rather to purchase an iPhone. It's not that I need things "simple" so to speak, I just need things to work for me. And I use my phone a lot for homework and social media and while productivity wise this phone can't be beat, the overheating and battery draining is a major annoyance.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Now my phone stays 80-90 when I'm using it, but doesn't get up over 90. You might have an app causing a problem.

I've deleted quite a few apps, so I'm hoping that one of them was the issue and not one of my major apps. I'm hoping this can be rectified without a factory reset.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you still have the issue, you might want to run it in safe mode and see if it is still happening. If it is, then there is something else besides a app causing it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, if the problem has been with every phone you've owned and most other people don't see the same issue... it might be a specific app. Anything you keep on your devices all the time?

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree, if the problem has been with every phone you've owned and most other people don't see the same issue... it might be a specific app. Anything you keep on your devices all the time?

The basic social media apps, really. I'm starting to think it can be the email app I use, so I think I'll be in search for a new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38