From 30 to 0 percent in less than 10 mins

Adel Fakhry

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Sudden power drain on my note 5 (first time now) and when i plug the charger it goes back up to 30 from 0 in no time? This is extremely frustrating.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-17-05-31-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-17-05-31-28.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 138

Adel Fakhry

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried a reboot? It could be just a temporary bad battery reporting by the OS.

Already did that, and i deleted the cache partition as well. I charged it to 100 percent and will continue using it for the rest od the day to see if the issue is still presistent. I will be taking screen shots every 10% drop in power, to monitor how much it takes the battery to drain before reaching 26% (at exactly 26% it drops instantly).

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest a factory reset or a battery recalibration tool from the play store. If that doesn't work I'd definitely take it in or request a replacement

Adel Fakhry

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I'd suggest a factory reset or a battery recalibration tool from the play store. If that doesn't work I'd definitely take it in or request a replacement

Do i need to have my phone rooted for that? My phone isnt rooted, and what app do you suggest?

Thanks

Adel Fakhry

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Do i need to have my phone rooted for that? My phone isnt rooted, and what app do you suggest to re-caliberate?

Thanks

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I stand corrected. You do need root for the apps because it erases a file. I'd do what a previous poster suggested. Charge and use to 10%. That or factory restore it.

Adel Fakhry

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Already charged it to 100% and been using my note 5 heavily since then. From my point of view, I can conclude that there is nothing wrong with the battery, because honestly it has outdone itself 6+ hours of screen ontime chatting checking facebook and video playing (480p quality on mx. That was till it got to 23 % this time and started dropping insanely). There is definitely something wrong with the software not recognizing accurately how much juice left till it is too late. I am currently charging it up again, but I dont want to waste any more time testing it. So should I just leave it plugged in untill 100% and remove it directly afterwards or should i leave it there?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-17-19-30-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-17-19-30-20.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 88

TY_THE_DROID_GUY

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Do another wipe cache partition from the android boot screen, reboot phone, then go into settings/advanced calling and activate advanced calling (it's free), then turn it on for voice and video. This literally has added hours to my note 5 battery life. When I first got the phone a month ago, I had similar issues (4 hour battery life from 100 percent, extremely overheating, ect.) Now my phone NEVER gets hot. At all. My battery will last almost 10 hours now, and that's with heavy usage. Hope this helps.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
No need. You can't overcharge the battery. I've been leaving my phones plugged in overnight for years with no issues.
you can't overcharge the battery, but a battery staying at high voltage (high percentage) degrades faster over time. I would never suggest leaving the phone on the charger overnight, especially with Note 5 whose battery cannot be replaced.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If the phone can't handle being plugged in overnight, there's bigger problems than battery degradation. These phones can do EVERYTHING but they can't sit plugged in overnight? I don't buy that. Everything I've read about battery degradation shows that batteries will degrade in time with or without doing this practice, and that is why so many freaked out about a non-removable battery.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Do another wipe cache partition from the android boot screen, reboot phone, then go into settings/advanced calling and activate advanced calling (it's free), then turn it on for voice and video. This literally has added hours to my note 5 battery life. When I first got the phone a month ago, I had similar issues (4 hour battery life from 100 percent, extremely overheating, ect.) Now my phone NEVER gets hot. At all. My battery will last almost 10 hours now, and that's with heavy usage. Hope this helps.

Usually I see everyone give the advice to actually turn Advanced Calling OFF because it causes other issues. You're the first person I've seen who suggested turning it ON.

TY_THE_DROID_GUY

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I know, that's what everyone on this forum seems to be saying, but I found this fix from another forum and it seriously works. No, the advanced calling doesn't seem to make the calls any clearer like it's supposed to, but my battery lasts all day now. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. I should also clarify, when my battery was draining in 4 hours it was due to cell standby. It'd say 80 percent of battery was due to that. Now cell standby doesn't even show on my battery report.

TY_THE_DROID_GUY

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Of course they can stay plugged in overnight, it's just better in the long term if you take care of your battery, like the guy above said, it's being at that high voltage all night, over and over again, that will destroy your long term battery life.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If the phone can't handle being plugged in overnight, there's bigger problems than battery degradation. These phones can do EVERYTHING but they can't sit plugged in overnight? I don't buy that. Everything I've read about battery degradation shows that batteries will degrade in time with or without doing this practice, and that is why so many freaked out about a non-removable battery.

try read something with lab test data, rather than just imaginary things

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
try read something with lab test data, rather than just imaginary things

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

I'm not sure I know how to read imaginary things, but thanks for the suggestion. Now I guarantee you can find another source as legit as the one you posted, proving the opposite. I'm not saying there isn't research out there to backup the nonsense you say, but it's the internet. Not everything is accurate or true.

For every source showing that plugging in a phone overnight is bad, there will be another that says it's harmless. And both will be from trusted sources. Ultimately, yes i'm sure there is battery degradation "in time" when you leave the phone plugged in. Why? Well because batteries degrade in time no matter what the treatment is. Also, by the time the battery is shot from plugging it in and/or simple life expectancy, we'll all be upgrading to a new device anyway because practically no one keeps their phones long enough for this to be a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87