Dropped frame rates or stutter? Especially Google apps.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

During certain activities, my Note 5 will slow during scrolling. Sometimes it's really noticeable, other times it's very slight. I mean to the point you only notice it if you're studying it.

For example, the Play Store will have terrible scrolling. I can assume it's just that the content isn't loaded, but then when it is it still chops up. Another example is Google Messenger. It scrolls poorly after I have a lot of message threads and messages in them. Like around 200-500 messages per thread with 10-15 threads. Also the sending animation chops up in Google Messenger.

An example of slight scroll issues is the notification pull down. It's very slight bit it stutters a bit when I have several notifications.

Another example is swiping to delete in Inbox by Google. It chops up for sure. These are minor annoyances but definitely bugs me.

Is there a fix for these?

I noticed that when I have animations (developer options) turned off or .5x it gets worse. Feels faster but also feels more jank.

When I have animations running slower, Nova set to "relax" mode, it seems less choppy.

Thanks for the help

Unrooted Note 5 T-Mobile edition.

serpent2005

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I notice the same thing. I feel the samsung apps are smoother like the email app than the Gmail app. Maybe samsung was able to optimize their app to the hardware. Don't know how to make it better.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
All Android phones have issues when scrolling. They have since day 1, and have got a lot better though. You just get used to it over time.

If you're coming from an iPhone you will really notice it.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why though? I feel like they should prioritize this in core Android. Do Nexus's (Nexusi, Nexi) have these stutters? If not I guess that answers that. Samsung skin. I wonder if HTC has this issue?

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
No scrolling problems on my Nexus 6. Actually went to buy a Note 5 and the scrolling made me think twice. The difference between my year old, much less powerful device and the specced-out Note 5 was pretty stark. I really liked the Note for the screen, camera, etc., but didn't want to have to disable tons of things to get it to run right (if it even is possible to do so). Sounds like a minor issue, but it really bugs me (and my ocd). It also made me think that performance down the line may suffer if Touchwiz won't even let the UI run properly.

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All Android phones have issues when scrolling. They have since day 1, and have got a lot better though. You just get used to it over time.

If you're coming from an iPhone you will really notice it.

I have to differ.
Note 5 64GB Black on AT&T. I disabled all AT&T I could and turned off most TW items plus things like ANT and other non-used functions.
Running Nova Prime with Fast/Infinite Scroll active. Via Dev options I have all animations turned off.
I am not seeing the drop/stutter - scrolling screams. Whether Messenger / Play / etc, the only time I see any "pause" is when loading pics in Messenger when fast scrolling.
I also use an iPhone 6S+ and believe me, for my use the Note 5 is much smoother / faster.

If you are seeing a lag/stutter, take a look at what is loaded. My device seriously improved with the uninstall/disable I performed.
btw: one killer of performance - FB.

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
No scrolling problems on my Nexus 6. Actually went to buy a Note 5 and the scrolling made me think twice. The difference between my year old, much less powerful device and the specced-out Note 5 was pretty stark. I really liked the Note for the screen, camera, etc., but didn't want to have to disable tons of things to get it to run right (if it even is possible to do so). Sounds like a minor issue, but it really bugs me (and my ocd). It also made me think that performance down the line may suffer if Touchwiz won't even let the UI run properly.

I almost went with the 6P. However I wanted the stylus - that has been very useful.
For the disable stuff, it took about 30 minutes to kill the AT&T crap and the TW/ANT stuff. I turned stuff back on as I wanted and decided to use / try. I check every coupe of weeks to make sure AT&T/TW didn't gift me with a surprise.

For me, putting in a small amount of "maintenance" is worth it for the Note 5.

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I almost went with the 6P. However I wanted the stylus - that has been very useful.
For the disable stuff, it took about 30 minutes to kill the AT&T crap and the TW/ANT stuff. I turned stuff back on as I wanted and decided to use / try. I check every coupe of weeks to make sure AT&T/TW didn't gift me with a surprise.

For me, putting in a small amount of "maintenance" is worth it for the Note 5.

At first I was like, "this kid is lying out the ying," but then I decided to go crazy with my app disabling and sure enough it's a lot better. It's still not perfect, but it's significantly better. I mean loads better!!!

Still my complaint remains, but it's much better. Thanks for sharing.

sergiu.m

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Same problem on tapatalk, it only does it sometimes, usually after a few seconds it runs perfectly smooth ?
Anyone else has this issue with tapatalk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non