Note 5 Users - Is SD Card Important?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, well, it seems that Samsung have listened and thus caved, to the masses, and now offering an SD Card slot, on the new S7\S7 Edge.
But, the question I have to Note 5 owners & users, is an SD Card slot, compulsory?

With Cloud storage being offered by multiple online companies, how important is an SD Card option?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: SD Card

I didn't think it would be a problem for me but without it so far I cannot get the Gallery to display my photo or any other Gallery app for that matter.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

No SD card hasn't been a problem for me, as I store very little on my phone. More concerned about the long-term battery life.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

No SD card hasn't been a problem for me, as I store very little on my phone. More concerned about the long-term battery life.
I have a 64GB Note 5 and I'm not worried about no SD card slot either. I don't keep music or videos on my phone so space is really never a problem,. Even with my Note 4 and Note 5, I have SD cards in those phones but I never actually needed them. I just put cards in them to keep pictures on so I can easily swap them between those two phones.

As far as battery life, you shouldn't worry about it. I still have an old Nexus 4 that I keep charged and use for apps. I've had that phone for three years now and it still holds a charge and lasts a complete day, even if I put a sim card in there and use it for a phone. The battery will likely last far longer then you will use the phone. I do own a battery charger and extra battery for each of my Note 4 and Note Edge phones and use them.

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I really miss the sd card. I have years of photos, family videos, and thousands of songs. My journal was on my sd in my note 3,when i got my Note 5 I never was able to get it ported over. The cloud works great for music but only so so for my pics. Recently I found the OTG adapter and it works but somehow over the months of goofing around i lost my journal.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

...curious, can't all your items merely be stored in the likes of Dropbox, or Box?
To me, an added benefit of cloud storage, 'free' backups, and thus various editions of documents, etc. Also, albeit not often an SD card goes bad, but, one less thing to worry about ;)

As you switch from device to device, no need to worry if the new device has an SD slot, you can simply log into your cloud app, and away you go...

I really miss the sd card. I have years of photos, family videos, and thousands of songs. My journal was on my sd in my note 3,when i got my Note 5 I never was able to get it ported over. The cloud works great for music but only so so for my pics. Recently I found the OTG adapter and it works but somehow over the months of goofing around i lost my journal.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I thought not having a SD card would be a problem in the beginning, but now that I've gotten used to being without one it's fine. I'm still album to have a majority of my 6k songs and I utilize my drive and Dropbox for my photos.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I don't miss the external SD card at all. In fact the much faster internal SSD works better and the Cloud stores everything such that all my laptops and android devices have everything always. That said, having the option to choose is never a bad thing.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Having cloud storage would be useful if you have a signal. IF you don't have a signal, you're out of luck. I haven't worried about SD cards since I got my Note 5 because I knew what I getting into from the start. But, it would be nice to have the option of using an SD Card, if necessary. That could come in handy if I'm on a flight, and want to watch movies. Load up my movies, and not worry about cloud storage.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

I miss the SD card option so much that I didn't sell my Note 4 even though I have a Note 5.
But now the S7 Edge has it, I will be getting it and selling everything else.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

BRILLIANT point!

Having cloud storage would be useful if you have a signal. IF you don't have a signal, you're out of luck. I haven't worried about SD cards since I got my Note 5 because I knew what I getting into from the start. But, it would be nice to have the option of using an SD Card, if necessary. That could come in handy if I'm on a flight, and want to watch movies. Load up my movies, and not worry about cloud storage.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

If you are going on a flight you can load movies on your phone even without an SD card to watch during the flight.

Posted via the Android Central App

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

If you are going on a flight you can load movies on your phone even without an SD card to watch during the flight.

True, but I have a LOT of movies that have been converted to mp4 or .mov and they would take up a lot of space. It's better to have a SD card. Besides, my movies are backed up in Dropbox.

Collin Carter1

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the Note 5 and to help with the sd card situation I got me a USB OTG ADAPTER that works perfectly with my 200 gb micro sd card.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

...as in show 'photos'? What if you try to open photos from an app, like Solid Explorer?
I can open them through Dropbox but it takes extra steps to get there. Would prefer a gallery app that opens directly to my photos. Have tried a couple with no luck and the developers don't respond.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo