Install update
Factory reset
Reinstall everything

??

Posted via the Android Central App

FrankW438

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
If I were to do it again, I would do the full reset first, which will wipe the cache also. Then I would download and install the update. After it "settles in" for a while, I would power cycle it once or twice before reloading your accounts, apps, etc.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
If I were to do it again, I would do the full reset first, which will wipe the cache also. Then I would download and install the update. After it "settles in" for a while, I would power cycle it once or twice before reloading your accounts, apps, etc.

So you don't factory reset after you install mm?

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I may have went overboard but should be ok...

I did factory reset, then after reboot, downloaded and installed MM - then after rebooting with MM, wiped cache, then factory reseted -- AGAIN.

Now I'm putting it all back together. Fun fun...

Thanks all.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Is it necessary to do a factory reset ?

I don't think its necessary to do a factory reset or a cache partition wipe, but they seem to be the default "workarounds" if the phone begins to behave unexpectedly (assumes that an app(s) are not the source for the problem).

The factory reset is what I understand to be more of a "last resort" as it will wipe your data and thus requires one to do a full phone backup prior to a reset. Cache wipe is less intrusive and apparently will not impact your data.

For those with iPhones, the way I think of a "factory reset" is equivalent to the "restore as new" option for iOS. A full backup should be made prior to doing a "restore as new". "Restore as new" appears to be the go to "workaround" for iOS devices when they behave unexpectedly.

I did not do a cache wipe or factory reset before or after updating to Marshmallow, and thus far no issues that I can tell.

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I may have went overboard but should be ok...

I did factory reset, then after reboot, downloaded and installed MM - then after rebooting with MM, wiped cache, then factory reseted -- AGAIN.

Now I'm putting it all back together. Fun fun...

Thanks all.

I kind of agree with this and will be doing something when AT&T gets going

FrankW438

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So you don't factory reset after you install mm?

I think it might be better to do the factory reset BEFORE the update, so the update has a clean slate to work with. You could do a factory reset again after the update, but I think that's probably not necessary.

I always power cycle after installing or updating any apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it might be better to do the factory reset BEFORE the update, so the update has a clean slate to work with.
An update should be built on the idea that it's updating a previous version. If we had to do a factory reset for every computer update, Wednesday wouldn't be "hump day", it would be "back to pencil and paper day".

You could do a factory reset again after the update, but I think that's probably not necessary.
If you reset before the update, the only reason to reset after the update is that the update is defective.

Totally different thing - that resets the hardware. If there's garbage in the cache it'll still be there after a power cycle. But if the wifi radio is hung, it'll clear with a power cycle. (The only relationship is if there's garbage in RAM - and that will clear on a plain old power key menu reset.)

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I think it might be better to do the factory reset BEFORE the update, so the update has a clean slate to work with. You could do a factory reset again after the update, but I think that's probably not necessary.

I think it is good to do before - it doesn't take any more time to do one on the front end because you don't have to reconfigure your phone because you are just installing the MM update on basic install. Then after you install MM - a factory reset isn't wiping anything because you haven't reconfigured so no extra time to do before and after really.

FrankW438

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
An update should be built on the idea that it's updating a previous version. If we had to do a factory reset for every computer update, Wednesday wouldn't be "hump day", it would be "back to pencil and paper day".

If you reset before the update, the only reason to reset after the update is that the update is defective.

Totally different thing - that resets the hardware. If there's garbage in the cache it'll still be there after a power cycle. But if the wifi radio is hung, it'll clear with a power cycle. (The only relationship is if there's garbage in RAM - and that will clear on a plain old power key menu reset.)

This was in response to a question about my previous post. IF YOU ARE GOING TO A FACTORY RESET, you may as well do it before the update instead of after. Minor updates, I don't worry about it unless I run into problems. Major updates, like LP to MM, some people are forced to do them afterwards, some people choose to do it to prevent problems. If you choose to do so, why not do it before the update?

A simple power cycle (or restart from the power menu) after updating or installing apps may help, but it certainly won't hurt. I agree a cache wipe would be more effective, but it's not quite as easy, though. If I run into trouble, that's usually the first step.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non