I have accidentally disabled PinyinIME in my note 5 and I cannot re-enable it. How do I do that?

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Each time when I access Note 5, a notification appears to say that "Unfortunately, Google PinyinIME has stopped. There is no button to re-enable this app. It would be nice if I could uninstall it or re-enable it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Application Manager, tap Google PinyinIME, then tap Enable. Is that what you already tried?

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
This is the first time I am using android devices. I normally use Apple devices. I bought this Samsung Galaxy note 5 out of interest to compare it with my iphone. I had no use to use the pinyin app and without any thought of inconvenience, I just disabled it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh wait--you said the message was that "Google PinyinIME has stopped," right? That doesn't have to do with disabling the app. It has more to do with the app either being buggy, or having a conflict with another app.

Go to the Google Play Store, and search for this app. See if there is an update available.

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
@gozirra. The link led to another version of pinyinIME, quite different from the one in note 5. I suppose this was packaged with the device. Could a factory reset bring back the default apps?

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
@B. Diddy. Before disabling it, the device was working flawlessly. There was no conflict with other apps. Anyway, when I clicked on the 'disable' button, an alert came on to say if I disabled it, the app will not be performing normally. I just ignored it and now I have this irritating alert message each time I turn it on. Thanks for the suggestion.

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
That looks like a really old version, since Google's current version is called Google Pinyin Input (not IME), and has Material Design icon. You can try looking for an apk file of the old app, but be cautious, because websites that offer apk files don't usually vet them for malware. Here's one possible site: https://www.torrapk.com/en/apps/13-other/172-Google-Pinyin-IME
Thank you for your suggestion. I have to live with the irritating alert message. That link was not working.
I have another problem with sounds and notifications. I am not able to change individual ringtones for friends. Looks as though the options for this are all closed..

[

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That's actually done in Contacts, not in the device Settings. When you open a contact, click Edit in the top right corner, then scroll down to the bottom, click More, scroll down to the bottom, and you have Ringtone, Message Tone, and Vibration Pattern on a per-contact basis right there.

Also, B. Diddy's link above works for me, it sounds like your device really could benefit from a factory reset (and then reinstall apps manually, instead of letting it reinstall something bad).

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
That's actually done in Contacts, not in the device Settings. When you open a contact, click Edit in the top right corner, then scroll down to the bottom, click More, scroll down to the bottom, and you have Ringtone, Message Tone, and Vibration Pattern on a per-contact basis right there.

Also, B. Diddy's link above works for me, it sounds like your device really could benefit from a factory reset (and then reinstall apps manually, instead of letting it reinstall something bad).

I think my Samsung galaxy note 5 (SM-N920V) is a different model. I cannot find the edit option on the top right corner of a contact only three vertical dots, when pressed, it shows 'join'' and at the bottom of the screen 'add another field'.. When I pressed that, it gives options to add 'Phonetic name, Email, IM, Notes, etc'. I have done a factory re-set. I have downloaded a newer version of Google PinyinIME (version 2.2) but was not able to update it due to different signatures. Anyway, thank you all for your assistance.

Last edited:

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Something is definitely amiss. I too have the SM-N920V (Verizon) model, and this is what the lower half of my contacts look like when I click Edit:

Screenshot_20160621-153843.jpg

Perhaps you're not editing a phone contact or Google contact?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just curious--where did you get your phone? Was it directly from your carrier or Samsung, or was it on eBay or from some independent seller? If you didn't get it from Samsung or a major retailer, there's more chance of getting a knockoff or clone.

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Something is definitely amiss. I too have the SM-N920V (Verizon) model, and this is what the lower half of my contacts look like when I click Edit:

View attachment 230545

Perhaps you're not editing a phone contact or Google contact?

I bought it from a friend who said he bought it from a Samsung retailer. If mine was a clone, would it be possible for me to do a factory reset? I have done it. Most of my options are quite different from other Samsung Galaxy note 5. Perhaps it is a clone. I will stick to my iphone. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can always do a factory reset on a clone, because even if it isn't a genuine Samsung phone, it's still an Android phone, and will function like most Android phones.

Use an app like CPU-Z and see what kind of processor it has. If it's a MediaTek (a company whose chips are often used in budget or knockoff devices), then it's a clone, since the Note5 uses Samsung's Exynos processor.

robertbrd

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
You can always do a factory reset on a clone, because even if it isn't a genuine Samsung phone, it's still an Android phone, and will function like most Android phones.

Use an app like CPU-Z and see what kind of processor it has. If it's a MediaTek (a company whose chips are often used in budget or knockoff devices), then it's a clone, since the Note5 uses Samsung's Exynos processor.

Thank you for your advice. I have downloaded and run that app. I am sad to find out it is a clone and I have been duped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty