SGN12/SGN5 S-Pen Interoperability? SGN5 OS Upgrade?

dalinian

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
TL;DR:
Q1: Are the S-Pens of the SGN12 and SGN5 interoperable?
— That is, does both the SGN12's S-Pen work on the SGN5's screen, and the SGN5's S-Pen work on the SGN12's screen?
Q2: If I buy a new or second-hand SGN5 N920C running Android 5.1.1, will 'Settings > About device > Software updates' allow me to install a Samsung OTA stock OS upgrade to Android 6.0.1?

Hey SGNistas,

I own a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900 tablet (SGN12) and I'm looking to upgrade the stylus-based phablet which I use alongside it. I'm currently using a 2013-vintage ASUS Fonepad Note FHD 6 (AFN6) stylus-based phablet, but it's stuck on Android 4.4, so I'm aiming to acquire a more modern stylus-based phablet that can run on Android 6.0.1.

Until recently, that was going to be a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 { sigh }. Since that's no longer an option, I am now weighing up the pros and cons of these two candidates, neither of which have been officially released in the UK, yet both of which I can grey import from overseas via an eBay/Amazon order or similar:

(1) LG Stylus 2 Plus K535N or K535T
- released July 2016 with Android 6.0.1 out of the box
● about » LG Stylus 2 Plus - Full phone specifications

(2) Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920C
(SGN5) - released August 2015 with Android 5.1.1 out of the box
● about » Samsung Galaxy Note5 - Full phone specifications

So I'd like to ask for help from you in answering a couple of questions about the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920I:

Q1. S-Pen Interoperability
I mostly use 12" tablet and 6" phablet alongside each other every day, in a two-screen setup - but the SGN12's S-Pen doesn't work on the AFN6's screen, while the AFN6's stylus doesn't work on the SGN12's screen... so currently I have to put down one stylus and pick up the other one to switch between using tablet and phablet: needless to say, this marked lack of stylus interoperability is NOT an ideal situation.

Question #1: Are the S-Pens of the SGN12 and SGN5 interoperable?
— That is, does both the SGN12's S-Pen work on the SGN5's screen, and the SGN5's S-Pen work on the SGN12's screen?

Q2. Stock Samsung Android Upgrade
For your SGN5, GSM Arena notes "OS: Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop), upgradable to v6.0.1 (Marshmallow)".

Question #2: If I buy a new or second-hand Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920C running Android 5.1.1, will 'Settings > About device > Software updates' allow me to install a Samsung OTA stock OS upgrade to Android 6.0.1?

Thanks in advance for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Tim Jones

PS: I've sent this query to Samsung UK Product Support via their 'contact us' webform and a simple webpage at » dalinian cloudscape / SGN12-and-SGN5 - yet past experience suggests that their efficiency or ability to answer these questions may be... ahem... sub-optimal. So my hope is that our SGN user community can help me out with some more prompt and accurate answers.

Edit: thanks to 'jah' at XDA - "If you want a device compatible with UK 4g networks go for the N920c variant" - I've changed the variant letter above from 'I' to 'C'.

Last edited: