The rumored USB Type-C port on the Note 7

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: What phone coming out might make you pass on the note 7?

I kind of hate to replace all my usb accessories with usb c compatible ones. Waste of effort and $.
You might not have to replace all of your USB stuff with USB-C. There might be an adopter that converts USB-C to USB.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

You might not have to replace all of your USB stuff with USB-C. There might be an adopter that converts USB-C to USB.
That and it's not a waste since there's presumably no reason anyone would revert to microusb after making the switch to C. The only reason to do so would be a phone downgrade.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: The Note 7 Specs Detailed

One AC Forums user found something pretty interesting. (Thread linked below)
Source #1: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...heir-korean-official-website.html#post5270660
OG Source for above link: https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungNot...msung_released_a_very_sweet_wireless_charger/

Apparently, Samsung has launched a new wireless charging pad + charger combo. On the face of it, nothing special, but the big news is that the cable itself supports USB-C. This could mean a lot of things, but it does mean that the Note7 is pretty likely going to come with a USB-C port.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

One AC Forums user found something pretty interesting. (Thread linked below)
Source #1: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...heir-korean-official-website.html#post5270660
OG Source for above link: https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungNot...msung_released_a_very_sweet_wireless_charger/

Apparently, Samsung has launched a new wireless charging pad + charger combo. On the face of it, nothing special, but the big news is that the cable itself supports USB-C. This could mean a lot of things, but it does mean that the Note7 is pretty likely going to come with a USB-C port.
Bad news. I have a million micro usb gizmos and do not wish to change.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

That and it's not a waste since there's presumably no reason anyone would revert to microusb after making the switch to C. The only reason to do so would be a phone downgrade.
The reason is I already have many other devices that use usb micro so this forces me to bring yet another cord or adapter. I can tell right side up. From upside down and data transfer speed and charging speed is already fine. I have no use for yet another format that may very well not catch on. I mean USB 2 never really replaced USB 1. I don't even know which I'm using most of the time. Most flash drives are crap anyway.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm not following you here. Are you saying the tech industry is going to abandon USB C?
No. I'm saying it may not replace usb 2 on most devices or all devices as you seem to imply. Like I have a weird usb 2 charging cable for note 3 that never even went to note 4

Like my guess is the netbooks or laptops might have a USB C input AND a USB 2 input for years. Whether usb C replaces it remains to be seen. There are too many perfectly good flashdrives, power cords, hard drives etc for people to want to replace them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

No. I'm saying it may not replace usb 2 on most devices or all devices as you seem to imply.

Ah, ok. Well that's one fear you can put to rest, but it's not going to happen overnight. USB C will definitely be replacing USB A and USB B connectors, however full adoption across all aspects of the tech industry will likely take a couple of years because it's highly dependent on PC hardware sales. On mobile, using anything that's not USB C doesn't make sense any longer unless the OEM is dependent on Qualcomm QuickCharge technology, in which case that OEM just kinda sucks because other standards are already much better than QuickCharge (USB C with PD, DashCharge, Adaptive Fast Charging, etc).

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

We must adopt and move on! USB-C is the future. We must roll with the punches.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Not necessarily. USB 2 never really replaced USB 1.
Uh, you realize you are talking about USB standards for data transfer speeds, right?

What you should be comparing is USB Type-A to Type-C or something like that. Makes more sense that way.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Ah, ok. Well that's one fear you can put to rest, but it's not going to happen overnight. USB C will definitely be replacing USB A and USB B connectors, however full adoption across all aspects of the tech industry will likely take a couple of years because it's highly dependent on PC hardware sales. On mobile, using anything that's not USB C doesn't make sense any longer unless the OEM is dependent on Qualcomm QuickCharge technology, in which case that OEM just kinda sucks because other standards are already much better than QuickCharge (USB C with PD, DashCharge, Adaptive Fast Charging, etc).
You've just made my point. Each of those fast charge methods was meant to replace all others by their developers. Back in the days of videotape and VCR all experts agreed Sony Beta Max was better than VHS yet VHS won out in the end. Just because USB C is better doesn't necessarily mean the non-techie Public are willing to be inconvenienced or pay an extra penny to get it.

There will even be those who go out of their way to avoid it just to maintain a standard that already is pretty universal. The college I teach at always uses older tech just because everything everywhere in the system is interchangeable. It makes life easier. As newer machines and versions of Windows and Office are introduced it is too expensive to change everything at once so it is a pita.

Actually they're just updating a bunch of hardware and software now and it IS kind of a pita to have several versions of my PowerPoint presentations to make sure they work properly with every machine and version of windows.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Uh, you realize you are talking about USB standards for data transfer speeds, right?

What you should be comparing is USB Type-A to Type-C or something like that. Makes more sense that way.
Well on my Note 3 Usb 2 cable connection to phone is actually physically different but I get your point. My point is despite the increased data speed (better) usb 2 capable hardware has never completely replaced usb 1.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just because USB C is better doesn't necessarily mean the non-techie Public are willing to be inconvenienced or pay an extra penny to get it.

I disagree here. If major phones swap to it .. the general mass will swap as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Bad news. I have a million micro usb gizmos and do not wish to change.

You may not have to yet -- adapters and such... but one day the standard will change. People didn't want to go to "Lightning Cables" for their iDevices but Apple went that way so eventually they had to.