The Note 7 will (likely) be my first Samsung. What do I need to know?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I guess when using a non-Nexus phone you usually have two choices for everything: The stock version and the Google version.

On the Note 7 we will see Grace UI so not sure how that factors in. For those with the Note 5 or other Samsung what have you chosen to use for: photo gallery, launcher, music calendar, note keeping, messaging etc?

On my LG I chose stock launcher, calendar and messaging because they integrated well with short cuts built in to the phone.

But I use Google Photos for media because I can access my cloud library easier. Also I subscribe to Google play music so use that for my music library.

I'm hoping with Grace I will be satisfied with using stock for the most part because I like to just have one app per task on my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I guess when using a non-Nexus phone you usually have two choices for everything: The stock version and the Google version.

On the Note 7 we will see Grace UI so not sure how that factors in. For those with the Note 5 or other Samsung what have you chosen to use for: photo gallery, launcher, music calendar, note keeping, messaging etc?

On my LG I chose stock launcher, calendar and messaging because they integrated well with short cuts built in to the phone.

But I use Google Photos for media because I can access my cloud library easier. Also I subscribe to Google play music so use that for my music library.

I'm hoping with Grace I will be satisfied with using stock for the most part because I like to just have one app per task on my phone.

I usually stick with most of what came on the phone. Sometimes throw on Nova Launcher or Google launcher. Google photos for photos

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Aside from some UI differences, using a Samsung device isn't really much different from using any other Android device, other than some pre-loaded stuff.

Personally, I just throw on Nova Prime just to give me some familiarity as I use the same setup on all my phones.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
For a general Galaxy tip: If you didn't know, you can double-click the Home button for a really fast-opening camera :) . You can do this from any screen or even with the screen off and locked. Best in class at that IMO ..

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I agree with D13H4RD2L1V3. The android ecosystem provides (basically) the same experience across all android phones. The big difference with the Note is of course the S-Pen. It allows you to do things other phones can't do.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
For a general Galaxy tip: If you didn't know, you can double-click the Home button for a really fast-opening camera :) . You can do this from any screen or even with the screen off and locked. Best in class at that IMO ..

I did not know. So thanks for this! I guess that would be an example of why I should keep the stock camera rather than using Google Camera.

How is the calendar to use? Does it lend itself to being an advantage over Google calendar? E.g. I use LG's stock calendar because I can access it from the quick slide menu built in to the phone. I am assuming the more I stick to stock the more integration it will have with pen features?

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
^^^

I find the stock camera has the best quality. Other camera apps tend to look a little blurry and unclear, despite being in focus.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I did not know. So thanks for this! I guess that would be an example of why I should keep the stock camera rather than using Google Camera.

How is the calendar to use? Does it lend itself to being an advantage over Google calendar? E.g. I use LG's stock calendar because I can access it from the quick slide menu built in to the phone. I am assuming the more I stick to stock the more integration it will have with pen features?

I am not sure honestly. I use a 3rd party Calendar called DigiCal. I'll let others answer about the calendar.

p.s. Definitely use the Samsung camera app. The camera is great, and the app is really good IMO also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non